• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma 4s range vs Traxxas Maxx - opinions pls ( without the slagging!)

stimpy

20 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I don't know what it is about the Maxx, it always looks like a bit of a let down in terms of people comparing to the Xmaxx, which ISN'T  a fair comparison, but it is done nonetheless. 

I don't think so, personally. 

I think it's actually quite cool that it pretty much is a tinier X-Maxx (even using the same servo). Generally of course a comparison is.. slightly off due to size lol. Guns etc aren't wrong when they say that as a mainstream RC, there's nothing quite like the X-Maxx and that includes the Maxx, it's missing the "jeebus" factor. Apart from that, to my own surprise, i like it as much as the big guy. While it doesn't have the "presence", it also doesn't have the weight and you can comfortably lug it around, so there's a trade off. Though, potentially that comes from being able to chose between the trucks on a whim - maybe different if you don't have an X-Maxx yet.

Which simply means, get an X-Maxx first. 😄

13 hours ago, turok007 said:

They look the same really  but as i said i don't know overall size.  as the pede 4x4 suffered from being to top heavy for the wheelbase.

The Stampede 4x4 is a SWB HCG Slash 4x4

The Maxx is an all new scaled down X Maxx

56 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I don't think so, personally. 

I think it's actually quite cool that it pretty much is a tinier X-Maxx (even using the same servo). Generally of course a comparison is.. slightly off due to size lol. Guns etc aren't wrong when they say that as a mainstream RC, there's nothing quite like the X-Maxx and that includes the Maxx, it's missing the "jeebus" factor. Apart from that, to my own surprise, i like it as much as the big guy. While it doesn't have the "presence", it also doesn't have the weight and you can comfortably lug it around, so there's a trade off. Though, potentially that comes from being able to chose between the trucks on a whim - maybe different if you don't have an X-Maxx yet.

Which simply means, get an X-Maxx first. 😄

It's personal opinion.

I don't own either so I don't know how they feel to actually drive.

I just would rather a different RC with half a dozen batteries for the same price :lol: 

I got a tekno it is fantastic and was very fun to build. But looking at this forum and people with X maxx (like m4inbrain) and it just makes me want to have an xmaxx. Talbot also made a video comparing the price of parts from Arrma to traxxas and traxxas was cheaper.

6 hours ago, Tug said:

Surely the Tekno trumps both? Renowned as being in a class of its own which is reflected in its price? Comes in kit form with no lid or footwear? 

Not owned a Tekno, Arrma 4S or Traxxas Maxx, but surely the Tekno wins hands down? Unless I'm missing something?

When does the slagging start? 

No slagging else I’ll bang your heads together!!

And yes, from my experience the Tekno does win hands down ( money no object). This is why I have an MT410 already but wanted to consider options on ‘lesser’ spec models in comparison to my Outcast 4S. 

Given that I already have some parts in stock, and with consideration to the Maxx RRP, I suspect another Tekno of some sort would be my best option... 

But.....

I have never tried a Traxxas hence my interest.... 

Ah, I thought you'd had and sold on the Tekno. 

For something fresh to try, some of the new offerings from Traxxas have a fair rep. They need bits doing, but there are upgrades out there. 

When the 4S Arrmas came out, there did seem to be a lot of broken arms, not sure if that's still a thing. 

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Ah, I thought you'd had and sold on the Tekno. 

For something fresh to try, some of the new offerings from Traxxas have a fair rep. They need bits doing, but there are upgrades out there. 

When the 4S Arrmas came out, there did seem to be a lot of broken arms, not sure if that's still a thing. 

I did break 1 arm on my 4S quite early on but that was a daft landing - That has been my only break to date. Have had RPM arms on there for a while now and they just sag a bit but bend back👍.

Like I said, it's really not a bad truck at all, I guess in part the Tekno has just given me the taste of divine handling and the main limitation for me on the Arrma is steering angle lacking... Just a case of boys and toys!!🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Like I said, it's really not a bad truck at all, I guess in part the Tekno has just given me the taste of divine handling and the main limitation for me on the Arrma is steering angle lacking... Just a case of boys and toys!!🤣

Well, i wouldn't look at a Maxx for divine handling lol - as much as i like it, that's the one thing it doesn't do. 😄

As an unrelated sidenote, i did have a 45mph (according to GPS) cartwheel on concrete today, and i thought i broke an arm (the wheel was sitting at like a 45 degree angle) - turns out that i popped the C Hub out, just had to unscrew the "fixating screw", pop it back in, and put the screw back in, fixed. Was actually quite impressed, cartwheeled/tumbled for easily 30m on concrete - looked very expensive, that one.

3 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Well, i wouldn't look at a Maxx for divine handling lol - as much as i like it, that's the one thing it doesn't do. 😄

As an unrelated sidenote, i did have a 45mph (according to GPS) cartwheel on concrete today, and i thought i broke an arm (the wheel was sitting at like a 45 degree angle) - turns out that i popped the C Hub out, just had to unscrew the "fixating screw", pop it back in, and put the screw back in, fixed. Was actually quite impressed, cartwheeled/tumbled for easily 30m on concrete - looked very expensive, that one.

Oooh.... That could have been expensive! But clearly a testament to how tough it is 👍

Well how bad can the handling be???? (Forgetting the falling over 🤣).. 

1 minute ago, stimpy said:

Well how bad can the handling be???? (Forgetting the falling over 🤣).. 

Well it's great on wet concrete, when it doesn't topple over 😄. But in dry conditions you've got to pick your battles, and "handling" isn't the one you want to pick. 

Not even joking, on wet concrete it handles great and predictably, lifting a front wheel in corners, but as i said, on dry, it's pretty easy to topple. In all directions, even - the cartwheel today started by "slamming" on the brakes and having it nosedive into a cartwheel. Wheelies/"nosies" (what's the word for driving on the front wheels?) are just Maxx things, those won't go away. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, m4inbrain said:

Well it's great on wet concrete, when it doesn't topple over 😄. But in dry conditions you've got to pick your battles, and "handling" isn't the one you want to pick. 

Not even joking, on wet concrete it handles great and predictably, lifting a front wheel in corners, but as i said, on dry, it's pretty easy to topple. In all directions, even - the cartwheel today started by "slamming" on the brakes and having it nosedive into a cartwheel. Wheelies/"nosies" (what's the word for driving on the front wheels?) are just Maxx things, those won't go away. 

Nosies!! Sounds fun! hehe... Would you say they are due to a high centre of gravity? Or too softer front springs? Or Ofcourse it could be insane brakes! 

My 4S Outcast can do them once the shocks are too warm, funnily enough my 6S also used to do the same after a bit of a thrashing.... You could drive round it by just modulating the brakes better but certainly amusing if one forgot....

On another note I've just been reading some of the XMaxx thread.... Would really like to try one of these some time but not sure how much I'd use it due to the physical size and it sure does cost a lot to begin with.... 

BUT HOW COOL!!!! 😍

1 minute ago, stimpy said:

Nosies!! Sounds fun! hehe... Would you say they are due to a high centre of gravity? Or too softer front springs? Or Ofcourse it could be insane brakes! 

My 4S Outcast can do them once the shocks are too warm, funnily enough my 6S also used to do the same after a bit of a thrashing.... You could drive round it by just modulating the brakes better but certainly amusing if one forgot....

On another note I've just been reading some of the XMaxx thread.... Would really like to try one of these some time but not sure how much I'd use it due to the physical size and it sure does cost a lot to begin with.... 

BUT HOW COOL!!!! 😍

I think it's a mix out of everything - but suspension being very "cushiony" is certainly part of it. It comes out of the box filled with 30wt all around, it does need (imho) at least  45-50 all around. Though, the soft suspension is kinda part of the fun on an X-Maxx/Maxx, so can't really go overboard with the oil. And yeah, that together with high CoG is probably the "problem" (not really a problem to me), i think the springs itself are fine (and you get harder ones with the widemaxx kit to compensate). 

As someone who had both a DBXL-E 2.0 and still has the X-Maxx - yeah, it's massive, but it's less cumbersome than all the other huge scale trucks - it actually is reasonably in weight due to being composite, so lugging it around is relatively comfortable (the wheelie bar doubles as a carrying handle). I take my X-Maxx with me every time we go bashing, i only had the DBXL--E with me twice because i simply could not be bothered to lug that heavy thing around, pulling a hernia every time you try lifting it in/out of the boot. 

The biggest upside of X-Maxx' is, they're readily available used. And with a little bit of hunting, there's proper deals to be had - mine was less than an hour old (as in, drive time - still had paint on the wheels), came with both a russian unbreakable shell and the limited (worth £200 on ebay) Van body, otherwise barely a scratch, for £700, and i've seen quite a few decent deals since then (was contemplating a second X-Maxx lol). It's one of the few RCs that are just that good out of the box (minus the VXL ESC, mine popped after around 10 working hours - Max6 in it, great ever since). 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I think it's a mix out of everything - but suspension being very "cushiony" is certainly part of it. It comes out of the box filled with 30wt all around, it does need (imho) at least  45-50 all around. Though, the soft suspension is kinda part of the fun on an X-Maxx/Maxx, so can't really go overboard with the oil. And yeah, that together with high CoG is probably the "problem" (not really a problem to me), i think the springs itself are fine (and you get harder ones with the widemaxx kit to compensate). 

As someone who had both a DBXL-E 2.0 and still has the X-Maxx - yeah, it's massive, but it's less cumbersome than all the other huge scale trucks - it actually is reasonably in weight due to being composite, so lugging it around is relatively comfortable (the wheelie bar doubles as a carrying handle). I take my X-Maxx with me every time we go bashing, i only had the DBXL--E with me twice because i simply could not be bothered to lug that heavy thing around, pulling a hernia every time you try lifting it in/out of the boot. 

The biggest upside of X-Maxx' is, they're readily available used. And with a little bit of hunting, there's proper deals to be had - mine was less than an hour old (as in, drive time - still had paint on the wheels), came with both a russian unbreakable shell and the limited (worth £200 on ebay) Van body, otherwise barely a scratch, for £700, and i've seen quite a few decent deals since then (was contemplating a second X-Maxx lol). It's one of the few RCs that are just that good out of the box (minus the VXL ESC, mine popped after around 10 working hours - Max6 in it, great ever since). 

Where are you seeing these X Maxxes? All the ones Ive seen are close to rrp

7 minutes ago, Guns said:

Where are you seeing these X Maxxes? All the ones Ive seen are close to rrp

I've certainly not seen any recently go for anywhere near that. But then I don't watch them all the time tbh...

4 minutes ago, stimpy said:

I've certainly not seen any recently go for anywhere near that. But then I don't watch them all the time tbh...

If you look at the sold ones on eBay there are quite a few selling in the £700-850 range. I've even seen X-Maxx 8S with a Max5 go for £500 on there.

3 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

I've also not seen a decent looking Xmaxx for under £900 on my searching and yes I was searching to buy one.

Perhaps still would if I found a minter for £700 with a sellable £200 bodyshell as well!

I'd buy 1 a day!! 🤣

🙈

Missed the "contemplating a second X-Maxx" there, all of yous lol. 

I'll keep my eyes open. 

To be fair: mine was advertised on ebay for £850. Saw that it was 60 miles from where i live, fired him a message telling him to call me (got to get a bit creative with the phone number), explained to him that ebay and paypal both take big chunks out of his price and that i'll give him a bit over what he'd got when sold on ebay, which was £700 cash in hand. And then drove there to pick it up with a mate (just in case lol).

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Missed the "contemplating a second X-Maxx" there, all of yous lol. 

I'll keep my eyes open. 

To be fair: mine was advertised on ebay for £850. Saw that it was 60 miles from where i live, fired him a message telling him to call me (got to get a bit creative with the phone number), explained to him that ebay and paypal both take big chunks out of his price and that i'll give him a bit over what he'd got when sold on ebay, which was £700 cash in hand. And then drove there to pick it up with a mate (just in case lol).

Nope just don't care :lol:

On a sidenote, seriously if you see another, lemme know.

Best offer I had was a lad trying to sell me an 8s Outcast for £750 after telling me he bought it off a mate for £650 but "he's got to make some profit you know" ... :lol: 

Just now, Oh How Original said:

Nope just don't care :lol:

On a sidenote, seriously if you see another, lemme know.

Best offer I had was a lad trying to sell me an 8s Outcast for £750 after telling me he bought it off a mate for £650 but "he's got to make some profit you know" ... :lol: 

I'll keep an eye out, yeah. I'll just throw listings in here if i come across them (i can only check when wife's in bed lol, otherwise i'd have way too much explaining to do). 

It's not like i check every day either, it's just when browsing ebay/fb marketplace for something else that i just throw in an X-Maxx search. 

• Thanks 2