• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Arrma Typhon - Speed Project

Derka

I race 1/10 off-road at club level but due to CV19 I have only raced 4 times in the last twelve months. The 1/10 are usable on grass and dirt but I didn't fancy bashing my race buggies. The logical step was a 1/8 scale buggy. The Arrma Typhon.

This will see light bashing and be used to gain experience of high speed RC.

Its a stock v5 Typhon and on the speed gearing of a 20T pinion vs the stock 16T it achieved 49.57mph on a single 4S battery. Out the box it should nudge 70mph on 6S.

As with any model or new RTR I get, it gets stripped and re-built just for my piece of mind.

20210212-150243.jpg

20210212-150333.jpg

20210212-155614.jpg

20210212-155957.jpg

20210212-160008.jpg

20210212-170008.jpg

20210212-170314.jpg

20210212-173230.jpg

20210213-151051.jpg

Edited by Derka
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, 53HRA said:

Looking good!

Where did you get your speed meter / lipo alarm looking thing from? :good:

That really made me chuckle, replying on behalf of Derka, as i have one of these, its the Speed Flea gps speed and altitude logger, and records max speed in surface mode and records max altitude and speed in a plane low cost but we do feel a little fragile about £35

• Like 1

Great choice @Derka
Seriously capable buggy and very easy to work on with a lot of easily available spares & upgrades. 

Had my own for 2 years odd set up for speed runs and still love it to bits. Hope you enjoy it. :good:

• Like 1

• Derka changed the title to Arrma Typhon - Speed Project

I bought some used wheels and tyres from eBay. Once I got them, one had a large tear in the side wall and the others had small splits. One with the split was not usable, especially at 50mph +. eBay seller says he checked them when he took the photos and when he packaged them. They came in a box, so well protected in transit... But basically said they left him fine. What can you do? They we're only £13.85... but still.

I've glued the tyre tear up with CA glue. Hopefully it will hold for some street bashing, not sure I will risk hitting 50mph+ with them on though! 😂

20210217-111606.jpg

20210217-111611.jpg

20210217-111713.jpg

20210217-111736.jpg

20210218-150309.jpg

• Like 1

@Derka hhhmm honestly I wouldn't have accepted that from the seller (not good form). I understand sending them back though is not really financially viable but personally I'd have asked the seller for a partial refund (1/4th the price) to see what he says. 

Imho your best bet for decent speed run tyres is "GRP". 
They're a proven reliable high speed belted rubber tyre and although no tyre is 100% guaranteed not to fail at high speed these have proved very reliable for most people. At the price point you won't find better. 

I buy mine from Trackside Spares for around £18 per pair, so £36 for a set plus postage. 
Link: https://www.tracksidespares.co.uk/?product_cat=&post_type=product&s=grp

• Like 1

Awesome, I've bookmarked that site. Will have a proper look later. What compound do you recommend @GMballistic?

I've bought some Schumacher 1/8 Venom rubber tyres as a stop gap. Any experience of those?

Also have two 3s batts on the way... 6s time - but I'll need to find a larger area! It was pretty wild on 4s at 50mph.

I might send the seller another message.

Edited by Derka

7 minutes ago, Derka said:

Awesome, I've bookmarked that site. Will have a proper look later. What compound do you recommend @GMballistic?

I've bought some Schumacher 1/8 Venom rubber tyres as a stop gap. Any experience of those?

Also have two 3s batts on the way... 6s time - but I'll need to find a larger area! It was pretty wild on 4s at 50mph.

I might send the seller another message.

The compound choice is a bit of personal preference along with being somewhat dependent on road and ambient temperature conditions. 

I've run "S3" compound mainly as they were the first ones I tried and they worked very well indeed. On my second set of S3's on my Typhon and the first set lasted over a year of 100+mph runs so didn't want to change what's working for me. I do have some S4's as well but they're a spare set and I haven't ran them yet. 

Generally softer compound will wear faster but should give better grip levels taking less time to warm up under use whereas harder compounds will wear slower but offer less grip until properly warmed up which will take longer. Softer compounds should offer more grip overall compared to harder compounds even when both up to temperature.

For really rough roads I know some people won't use lower than the S7's (same for hotter climates) but tbh I've ran S3's on all sorts of tarmac/asphalt and in various weather conditions with great results. 

I'd say get the "S4" compound @Derka as he has them in stock with a few choices of rim colour for you and it should see you good for a long time. 

No idea about the Schumacher venom tyres sorry, ....are they a belted tyre? 

Maybe use them cautiously as you wouldn't want them to blow at high speed making you crash the Typhon.

Regardless of tyre choice it is always worth checking and in some case adding more tyre glue to them. Some blow outs you see are caused by bad set ups when a tyre lifts off the ground and freely rotates at maximum rpm ripping it off the rim but others can be caused my tyres that aren't correctly glued in the first place as well as tyres with defects or damage. 

• Like 1

I ordered S3 as they had some sets. It's usually never warm where I am so hopefully ok. 

The Schumacher venom wheels and tyres arrived. Very nice. Don't think they're belted though. Might be ok for 4s and sub 50mph. 

I also moaned to the guy on eBay and got a full refund. I only asked for a partial so pleased with that. 

My two 4500 mah 3s arrived to try 6s 😁

20210219-160914.jpg

• Like 2