• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Will Brexit kill rc.

pflatoutbj

26 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

@Jens - you are fighting a lost battle trying to argue.

You could say the sky is blue or water is wet and he'd disagree with you.

Noticed you commented on .AJ. update about M3 now supplying to the UK again, My, I never saw that sort of thing coming, Why would companies want to market to a country of 68 million people.

Just try and get tour facts right before you start with the sarcasm next time, What ever you think of me, I have never belittled anyone here, Ever.

And don't look to Jens for support, I commented looking for information on Free Ports, Which he explained very well, Was as clear as water to me, But it was still good.

37 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

@Jens - you are fighting a lost battle trying to argue.

You could say the sky is blue or water is wet and he'd disagree with you.

To fight a battle would first require to join one. 😎

Never felt I did....

5 minutes ago, babylon said:

Noticed you commented on .AJ. update about M3 now supplying to the UK again, My, I never saw that sort of thing coming, Why would companies want to market to a country of 68 million people.

Just try and get tour facts right before you start with the sarcasm next time, What ever you think of me, I have never belittled anyone here, Ever.

And don't look to Jens for support, I commented looking for information on Free Ports, Which he explained very well, Was as clear as water to me, But it was still good.

@babylonDid we feel we fought a battle with each other?

Maybe we all  use this weekend to go for our legally entitled exercise. --> walk.

And maybe a RC car decides to follow us.  🤣

Too much lockdown blues. At least for me.

All week like this:

Left screen: Work (6am - 8pm).

And when I wait for something.

|

v

Right screen: MSUK (clearly safer for my wallet than ebay, etc).

That's not a life!

14 minutes ago, Jens said:

@babylonDid we feel we fought a battle with each other?

Maybe we all  use this weekend to go for our legally entitled exercise. --> walk.

And maybe a RC car decides to follow us.  🤣

Too much lockdown blues. At least for me.

All week like this:

Left screen: Work (6am - 8pm).

And when I wait for something.

|

v

Right screen: MSUK (clearly safer for my wallet than ebay, etc).

That's not a life!

No mate, That's what I didn't understand about the comment, I just remembered that Free Ports popped up every so often during the whole Brexit process, I'll just assume that OHO didn't read the post and assumed I was just being argumentative.

I go for a legally entitled bike ride, I was off 4 weeks at the start, Did nothing at all, Watched what I ate and only put on 4lbs, 1lb a week, Thought that's ok, I can live with that, I'll lose that once I get back to work, Then they tell me it will be another 8-12 weeks, 8-12 weeks at 1lb a week, That's like who ate all the pies department, So pulled the bike out the shed, And have done 9-11 miles everyday since April, Come rain or shine, Lost a stone, And looking quite buff.

What they don't tell you is, You know how nothing fits anymore when you get, For a better word, FAT, Nothing also fits anymore when you lose weight, In fact, you look worse, Clothes just hang off you like an old tent.

• Like 1

Thank fully COVID has caused a huge boom the hobby   

well it's got me and my family in to it    just wish we could get out and go nuts with the cars  as there so many times around  30ft garden  or out the front  the house .  

2 minutes ago, Iain .R said:

Thank fully COVID has caused a huge boom the hobby   

well it's got me and my family in to it    just wish we could get out and go nuts with the cars  as there so many times around  30ft garden  or out the front  the house .  

Got to admit, it does seem to have had quite a positive (no pun intended) effect on the hobby in terms of getting people into it, shame all the stock levels are so low for most things though.

On 22/01/2021 at 16:33, Nick said:

Hey guys, lots of speculation in here. :lol: Let me just remind you all that we are not living in Cuba, Brexit is not an international embargo. :rofl:

The answer to the topic, "Will Brexit kill rc" is absolutely not. Thank fully COVID has caused a huge boom in the hobby, the delays in ports has caused supply issues (which would of never of been a problem if it wasn't due to the huge surge in demand) but these will be overcome.

Traxxas, ARRMA, Axial, Tamiya etc aren't going to go bankrupt, they are doing better now than ever before and this includes the UK based suppliers of these brands!

The lorries stuck on the M20, at Manston, the Farage Garage etc is all due to Brexit red tape. I live near junction 10. There's lorries absolutely everywhere at the moment, there's max 5 ton signs up all around the town and villages in Kent to stop them parking up on residential streets. The Ashford International Truck stop at the Orbital park has a line of lorries a mile long coming in and out because the Farage Garage (which I can see when I go shopping) has no facilities.  This is all post Jan 1st and is nothing to do with COVID. 10,000 a day have to have their paperwork checked by an army of 50,000 people. It's a collosal waste of time and money.  Brexit won't kill RC but it's causing delays and price hikes which won't go away. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mond said:

The lorries stuck on the M20, at Manston, the Farage Garage etc is all due to Brexit red tape. I live near junction 10. There's lorries absolutely everywhere at the moment, there's max 5 ton signs up all around the town and villages in Kent to stop them parking up on residential streets. The Ashford International Truck stop at the Orbital park has a line of lorries a mile long coming in and out because the Farage Garage (which I can see when I go shopping) has no facilities.  This is all post Jan 1st and is nothing to do with COVID. 10,000 a day have to have their paperwork checked by an army of 50,000 people. It's a collosal waste of time and money.  Brexit won't kill RC but it's causing delays and price hikes which won't go away. 

Yes the delays are caused by Brexit, my point regards COVID was the demand, not the supply. The perfect storm, more demand less supply!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mond said:

...the Farage Garage etc is all due to Brexit red tape...

For some reason that put a big smile on my face.

Just googled for that name and the story is somewhat hilarious. Made my day.

( And I am sorry for being amused about that as a non-British citizen. Please forgive me. )

And as a comfort. My country (Germany) is much worse in many things than what I experienced here in the last years.

That's why I decided to pay my taxes rather here than there. 🙂.

• Like 3

Londoner Sascha Grillo was trying to add to his model collection by ordering a new car from a seller in Germany, but when he typed into the website that he wanted delivery to the UK, the price leapt up from £50 to £62.

"I was shocked, because I thought that with the Brexit deal, this wouldn't happen," he said.

"I thought day-to-day commercial transactions would remain the same, but this is not the case."

He decided not to buy.

Has any 1 had to pay import VAT

Edited by pflatoutbj

One thing to note is that the delay in companies shipping to the UK again is in big part due to the HMRC, not companies "not wanting to ship" or something. I've been in contact with two companies now, one in germany, the other one in the czech republic (Prusa), they filed the necessary paperwork for a UK VAT number weeks ago and are simply waiting now for the HMRC to respond. I'd bet money that a lot of companies have that problem currently - and it's not at all surprising to me that the HMRC wasn't prepared for the obvious flood of applications considering nothing could've been prepared within the two days that companies etc had to prepare (despite some less informed people arguing they had 5+ years to prepare). 

Give it a few. Prices will go up, depending on the item you're buying - but only by around 3% (the import duty, depending on category). Every price increase sucks, obviously - but it won't prevent anyone from buying something i don't think.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

and it's not at all surprising to me that the HMRC wasn't prepared for the obvious flood of applications considering nothing could've been prepared within the two days that companies etc had to prepare (despite some less informed people arguing they had 5+ years to prepare). 

All companies were prepared!!!

Prepared to receive the needed relevant information from the government.

Sadly, the information came a bit on a short notice....

But UK/EU pulled out a trade agreement in just 11 months where most others took decades (ie EU/Canada, EU/Mercosur).

49 minutes ago, Jens said:

But UK/EU pulled out a trade agreement in just 11 months where most others took decades (ie EU/Canada, EU/Mercosur).

It wasn't 11 months, it was 4 years and is barely a deal worth having. Speak to any exporter of food stuffs, it's Byzantine. The UK government is actually telling UK business to go out distributors on EU soil rather than sort out this mess. Boris and Gove said they had an oven ready free trade deal. This is a lie. Just this morning Moody's said the UK economy will suffer significant shrinkage because of it. That's a damning judgement to come from them.

In RC related stuff and Brexit, I hear that a certain brand of tyre will be out of stock until summer.

1 hour ago, Jens said:

Nah. 

EU/Mercosur etc started from scratch. 

EU/UK relations don't. We already had a trade agreement, the negotiations were about what to keep/reject.  Through established channels, no less. It's much less impressive than you make it sound. Not to mention that negotiations were ongoing for 5+ years, just because the prior administration isn't in office anymore doesn't mean the successor starts from scratch. They didn't - demands, red tape etc were all the same. In fact, considering how hard british fishermen got screwed, it makes you wonder why it did take 11 months in the first place if fishing rights where such a heated topic.

The UK government is actually telling UK business to go out distributors on EU soil

This part actually shocked me. To tell your businesses to invest in the EU rather than your business/british people is the only piece of "evidence" a normal person needs to figure out that there never was a plan for anything that came after january 1st other than beating your chest and, if you're wealthy enough, wave your blue passport around at the airport. Nothing was lost to Boris Johnson, Rees-Mogg or any other millionaire sitting in parliament through Brexit, so why would they care. 

Edited by m4inbrain

1 minute ago, mond said:

It wasn't 11 months, it was 4 years and is barely a deal worth having. Speak to any exporter of food stuffs, it's Byzantine. The UK government is actually telling UK business to go out distributors on EU soil rather than sort out this mess. Boris and Gove said they had an oven ready free trade deal. This is a lie. Just this morning Moody's said the UK economy will suffer significant shrinkage because of it. That's a damning judgement to come from them.

In RC related stuff and Brexit, I hear that a certain brand of tyre will be out of stock until summer.

Sure?

EU law forbids trade deals ( and even talks ) between members. Which is somewhat obvious. Until 31 Jan 2020 GB was a member.

So, talks for a trade deal could only start after that date.

Before they only talked on the mutual exit agreement. For that they took a really long time.

That exit agreement is far from being a trade deal.

3 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

EU/Mercosur etc started from scratch. 

Trade happened before and that was surely the starting base of the deal.

And there was always trade between UK and the rest of the EU.

EU/Mercosur started on WTO level ending up on a bit more integration.

EU/UK started at full integration and reduced it.

4 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

We already had a trade agreement, the negotiations were about what to keep/reject. 

That was the single market. GB was part of it. The exit agreement was not a trade agreement.

Just like the new UK internal market. There is no trade agreement now between England and Wales, right?

And keeping that "trade agreement" (single market): Clearly rejected.

There were many options of ready made trade deal templates: Stay in the single market, the EEA like Norway/Switzerland, the Canada deal (rejected by EU), the Australia option (= no deal ).

Eventually we had a new "unique" deal.

6 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

if fishing rights where such a heated topic

Insignificant from an economical point.

Politically extremely significant on both sides of the channel.

8 minutes ago, Jens said:

Sure?

EU law forbids trade deals ( and even talks ) between members. Which is somewhat obvious. Until 31 Jan 2020 GB was a member.

So, talks for a trade deal could only start after that date.

Before they only talked on the mutual exit agreement. For that they took a really long time.

That exit agreement is far from being a trade deal.

Oh. I guess the WA isn't the basis of said deal then, and was just discussed for fun for a few years. You're right, my bad. The "level playing field provisions" and customs arrangements were just in there for good measure, nothing else.

You're running a fine line between "technically correct" and disingenuous here. The WA is the ruleset for what the FTA would be. 

13 minutes ago, Jens said:

Trade happened before and that was surely the starting base of the deal.

And there was always trade between UK and the rest of the EU.

EU/Mercosur started on WTO level ending up on a bit more integration.

EU/UK started at full integration and reduced it.

Bit more integration, right. First, Mercosur is the EUs biggest trade deal. Ever. Including Brexit. The deal involves around 800 million people. More than 90% of tariffs on both sides got axed. It includes access to public procurement contracts, IP rights etc - and is tied to an "association agreement".

This is all ignoring the fact that the deal isn't even ratified, and may well be stopped in its tracks. It also wasn't "negotiated in 20 years", negotiations started in 1999, stalled and got re-fired in 2016. 

27 minutes ago, Jens said:

That was the single market. GB was part of it. The exit agreement was not a trade agreement.

Just like the new UK internal market. There is no trade agreement now between England and Wales, right?

And keeping that "trade agreement" (single market): Clearly rejected.

There were many options of ready made trade deal templates: Stay in the single market, the EEA like Norway/Switzerland, the Canada deal (rejected by EU), the Australia option (= no deal ).

Eventually we had a new "unique" deal.

Okay, now it's disingenuous. Of course the "exit agreement" isn't the trade deal, but it's the precursor. Everything that the UK wanted/rejected is in the WA, the only parts missing are the actual numbers. And yes, it included goods placed on the market, customs arrangements etc pp. No it wasn't a comprehensive trade deal, but you argue that we "negotiated a deal in 11 months" - then comparing it to actually comprehensive trade deals made with WTO partners. That's absolutely nonsense. The framework was laid long ago, agreeing on numbers isn't (or rather, shouldn't have been) hard. Things like IP rights etc were all ready, signed, in place - so nobody even needed  to talk about it, because it's a no brainer. And that is prevalent throughout the deal.

35 minutes ago, Jens said:

Insignificant from an economical point.

Politically extremely significant on both sides of the channel.

Clearly not, considering we sold our fishers out. Big time. If politicians never had the intention to actually give fishers what they wanted (and lets be clear, that was obvious from the get go), why waste 11 months pretending to fight for them, to then - in one big swing - pull out a kevin hart sized phallic object and plug it into the fishers rears?