• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Build-a-car (newbie edition)

Homeybadger3

Hi everyone! Anyone who has seen my status or a different topic I posted would know that I am completely new to this hobby in every single way, shape and form. 

So with that being said, I have been advised by a few people now that building an rc car is really the best way to understand how they work and how all the individual pieces go together and so on. 

Now I have been told that tamiya is the way to go on this front so I'm wondering if you guys can help me. What tamiya would be best for a complete and utter rc beginner to get and build? Ideally a cheap one as I dont want to get something too pricey just to break some important part as lie I said before, I'm new to this and dont know what I'm doing! 

Look forward to seeing what you guys have to say! 

Just attached the ion mt picture for fun. It's my first car that I'm properly starting to learn things with 

20201228_101430.jpg

I'm certainly not trying to dissuade you from buying a new RC or a Tamiya but as you already have the Ion MT and cost is a factor, why don't you take it apart and rebuild it?

Tamiya are great (I have a few myself) but aren't that cheap and the ones at the lower end of the scale might give you the performance you are looking for.

You could do it in sections rather than have a table of bits.

If you wanted to go down the new-build-kit-from-scratch route and Tamiya then if you can find one, a Mad Bull is a starting place if it is going to be run somewhere like the pic of the Ion.

Mad Bull at Modelsport

You can improve the steering with a simple mod Mad Bull steering mod and start the hop-ups with oil filled dampers  - most cheap Tamiya come with pogo sticks as standard.

38 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

I'm certainly not trying to dissuade you from buying a new RC or a Tamiya but as you already have the Ion MT and cost is a factor, why don't you take it apart and rebuild it?

Tamiya are great (I have a few myself) but aren't that cheap and the ones at the lower end of the scale might give you the performance you are looking for.

You could do it in sections rather than have a table of bits.

If you wanted to go down the new-build-kit-from-scratch route and Tamiya then if you can find one, a Mad Bull is a starting place if it is going to be run somewhere like the pic of the Ion.

Mad Bull at Modelsport

You can improve the steering with a simple mod Mad Bull steering mod and start the hop-ups with oil filled dampers  - most cheap Tamiya come with pogo sticks as standard.

I want to keep the ion mt as it is as I dont have any instructions or anything to reassemble it if I were to take it apart and my memory is appalling so I wouldn't really remember where things go either :( which is why I reckon building a new one is a better idea. I realise they arent exactly cheap to get, just as cheap as possible would be great. Just not one that's like £600+

Edited by Homeybadger3

There could be a few Tamiya options to look at as well as the Mad Bull.

For fun -

Gf-01

Semi-scale -

CC-01 Defender

More scale -

CC-02 Merc

The CC-01 is an old platform with limitations off-road  but can be modded to make it better.

The CC-02 is relatively new and is an example of Tamiya at its more complex, some say over-engineered.

If the scale trail runner or crawler is what you are looking for then it might've best to look outside of Tamiya at Element or Axial.

As for buggies, not my thing so can't comment. I have a modded Hornet I love but it is only good on short grass.

If you for a Tamiya, you really need a toolkit for JIS screws

Tool kit

And you will need bearings!!!!

Following on from this, if you don't have the nostalgia factor, I would stay away form the Monster Beetle and Brat as they have inherent drivetrain problems. They can be fixed but it either takes money (MIP diff) or good DIY skills (Old Frogshot screw method).

Unfortunately, Tamiya stopped producing the WT-01 chassis which is probably the closest to your Ion MT (though the WT-01 is 2WD). You can still import an Amarok WT01-N Amarok with the associated costs that brings. I run a  Dual Hunter which is a dual motor version of this chassis but is long out of production. 

Related to to the WT-01 and the Dual Hunter is the 2WD WR-02 Wild Willy, the current interpretation of an 80s classic. A used one of these was one of my first kits and they are great fun with almost endless body modding opportunities . The battery position means that it spends most of its time on its rear wheels (or flipped) though. I wouldn't say it is the most complex of builds but it is good fun and again can have oil shocks, bearings and a horde of aftermarket parts like front bumpers (see below), exhausts, etc.

351D35B6-3393-4E03-8B09-F88124BF5C47.jpg

The GF-01 noted in my previous post is basically a 4WD WR-02 and also likes to wheelie.

Edited by Badcrumble

I've just seen that the Blitzer Beetle is coming back in stock.

Blitzer Beetle

This buggy chassis-based  and there's a background thread here. it comes with oil dampers, ESC - decent kit for the money.

Edited by Badcrumble