• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Back to the Hobby - BUT WHICH ONE TO BUY?!

Callyakn

Hey guys, 

Use to hang around on here, in 2012-2014... 

Always loved RC, passion started with a Kyosho Zaboon Buggy back in 2001?! 

Then years later, got an HPI SAVAGE X 4.6 Nitro

THEN, brushless came big, and got the HPI truggy Flux, always loved my HPIs but noticed they've seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth?!

QUESTION IS - WHICH ONE TO BUY NOW?!

Im looking between, The Traxxas Maxx , Arrma Kraton EXB roller, (or 6s RTR) OR the Arrma Notorious?!

The traxxas looks a lot of fun to drive in the videos ive watched from kevin talbots youtube, 

The EXB ticks boxes because ive always wanted a kit to build up myself (yes its a roller, but you cant seem to buy proper kits for trucks of that size these days?!? or can you..)

And the Notorious, well that was my original "YES IM HAVING ONE OF THEM" but the Kraton is becoming more attractive, and the traxxas, is just a little expensive for a 1:10 scale model?! i dont know!!! HELP!!

Look forward to hearing from you boys and your thoughts, and what you roll with....

All the best 

Callum 

I'd take the X-Maxx over the EXB as well - but not the Maxx. The Maxx, while seemingly being a good RC, is just way too much money for what it is. 

You can get decent, used X-Maxx for around the same price of a new Maxx btw, something to consider. Might take a bit of hunting (which i actually kind of enjoy), but there's good deals to be had. I bought mine for £700, basically brand new, no scratches with russian unbreakable shell and somewhat rare Snap On Van body. If you can get a deal like that, i'd not hesitate for a second. 

That said: the Kraton v5 RTR is a decent choice too, certainly pricewise the most attractive one. It depends on how you intend to run it - the EXB is the tougher compared to a box stock RTR, ask yourself if you're driving "hard" enough to justify the increase. If you do: EXB. If you don't: RTR v5. 

Stay away from the Maxx (i say that while looking to get one myself, lol - but i already do have EXB, X-Maxx etc). For now.

Edited by m4inbrain

Im back in the hobby after years out had nitro revo 3.3

So when I got back in to it looked for weeks at different ones(budget wasn't maxx money) I went for associated mt10 it's great fun fast and not broken much with my bad driving and it's cheap so one to think about 

• Like 1

I'd second the MT410, as you mentioned you'd like to build a kit.  Guessing the ET48.3 has been discontinued, though no sign of a .4 yet?  So, yes, MT410 if you defo want a kit (can be kitted out with sensible priced elecs if you really want to - quicrun 150, ebay black can etc etc), or Kraton EXB seems the go to option if you want plug'n'play.