• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3D printers.

Oh How Original

Looking at 3D printers, just wondering if the Ender 3 Pro is worth it over the non Pro?

The price difference is minimal really, but just wondering what, if anything, is better on the Pro.

It doesn't have a silent board from what I've found, it's not any bigger and I can't find any information on it being any faster.

Can anyone fill me in, contacted Creality but no reply yet.

44 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

https://all3dp.com/1/creality-ender-3-vs-ender-3-pro-3d-printer-shootout/

I'd get the pro, they explain it better than me.

Don't know how I didn't find that article.

Hmmm, shame I can't get the 'x' model, but judging by the specs, in the UK it's called the V2.

Glass bed and silent MB.

Might go for that option.. £70 more.

27 minutes ago, Tony said:

I had Ender 3 last Spring and wished I've gone with Pro at the first place.

So I'd go with Pro if you can find one in stock. I got mine from Hobbyking at that time.

Loads in stock from Creality themselves, either via eBay or Amazon.

Amazon is a bit annoying though, I can get the Pro version on eBay, with a 1kg reel of PLA, for £2 less than just the standard version is on Amazon with no extra PLA, from the same seller.

2 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Don't know how I didn't find that article.

Hmmm, shame I can't get the 'x' model, but judging by the specs, in the UK it's called the V2.

Glass bed and silent MB.

Might go for that option.. £70 more.

Dunno, had it still saved in bookmarks from when i was looking for a printer, looked at the Ender for a long time as well, decided against it in the end though and went with an Anycubic Mega S. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANYCUBIC-MEGA-S-Printer-Printing-UltraBase/dp/B08KDKTCQ2

For the simple reason, cheapest printer (ish) that does ABS reasonably, due to the heated bed. You can't get the ender with heated bed, and i wanted to make strong parts too (or at least have the option to do so, haven't really done much of anything to be honest). 

5 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Dunno, had it still saved in bookmarks from when i was looking for a printer, looked at the Ender for a long time as well, decided against it in the end though and went with an Anycubic Mega S. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANYCUBIC-MEGA-S-Printer-Printing-UltraBase/dp/B08KDKTCQ2

For the simple reason, cheapest printer (ish) that does ABS reasonably, due to the heated bed. You can't get the ender with heated bed, and i wanted to make strong parts too (or at least have the option to do so, haven't really done much of anything to be honest). 

I don't plan to really make anything that needs to be solid for bashers or anything, mine will primarily be used for scale accessories and whatnot.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this...

I've often thought about getting a 3D printer for general RC stuff and other home DIY projects etc. 

Designing software has me worried a little that it may be too difficult to learn? I am computer savvy though. 

I see the Ender 3 Pro, V2 Pro a lot too and don't seem too expensive at around £250 from eBay.

What type of different printers are there? I see ABS mentioned, is that like the hard shiny plastic on Tamiya models? I've also bought 3d printer items that where PLA? What's the difference etc, different uses?

Once a decision is made on which printer to invest in, what other sundry parts do you need and use to print?

Can you get free software to design and print or do you have to purchase something?

Sorry if this not the place, just thought it was worthwhile posting here rather than another new thread with newbie questions. 

On 11/01/2021 at 23:26, Derka said:

Hope you don't mind me jumping in on this...

I've often thought about getting a 3D printer for general RC stuff and other home DIY projects etc. 

Designing software has me worried a little that it may be too difficult to learn? I am computer savvy though. 

I see the Ender 3 Pro, V2 Pro a lot too and don't seem too expensive at around £250 from eBay.

What type of different printers are there? I see ABS mentioned, is that like the hard shiny plastic on Tamiya models? I've also bought 3d printer items that where PLA? What's the difference etc, different uses?

Once a decision is made on which printer to invest in, what other sundry parts do you need and use to print?

Can you get free software to design and print or do you have to purchase something?

Sorry if this not the place, just thought it was worthwhile posting here rather than another new thread with newbie questions. 

i've got the standard Ender 3 and these can be picked up for about £135, so far i've got a glass bed and metal extruder system and that cost around £20. 

The new ender 3 (v2 i think it's called) has a lot more features and a 32 bit board (allows you to do more), you can upgrade a ender 3 to have these specs but personally if i was your i'd spend a bit more up front and get the newer machine. 

so far i've only printed PLA, good for small bit's but not overally strong. PETG is my main material, much stronger. You can print in ABS but the temps are higher and it's advised you have a housing to keep the temps level. 

I’m quite interested in a 3D printer too, but we don’t have a computer, I use a Surface pro 4 for my work and we have a basic Lenovo laptop for my little lads schooling.

im guessing you need something with decent graphics capabilities, what sort of thing should I be looking at?

Edited by Ag100

You can use your internet browser for some 3d modelling.

https://www.tinkercad.com/

https://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-for-web

I've just about built my first 3d printer. Next thing to do is to level to bed and then I'm ready to try my first print!

I'm struggling to decide what 3d modelling software to use as I don't want to spend months learning something and then jumping ship to something else for whatever reason. 

20210115-171149.jpg