• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What Radio for Bully2?

Paulnb57

A bit of advice from the MOA gang please

Which Radio should I look for, for my impending Bully 2

Dont mind stick or wheel, but it must be relatively easy to program channel mixing and wallet friendly?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Hell horn. said:

I run a speckrum dx4s. Can be got for around £60 with a rx. Super easy to use. 

Thanks James!

I cant find one that cheap, but I've looked at the manual and it looks promising.......I might just bite the bullet and invest....

• Like 1

@Hell horn.

About 120 beer tokens is best I can find, Ill get one after Xmas, then I need to learn how to set it up !.....

Do  you run overdrive on yours,  twin escs  with different throttle rates, if so about what proportion decrease do you give to the rear?

I have a couple of Quicrun Fusion motors with built in esc, that I hope will fit, two 1200kv, but I also have an 1800kv  that I can rob from another (unfinished) project. I did wonder if I could use the 1800 up front and the 1200 at the rear....would that equate to overdrive? Who knows!

My Bully 2 is scheduled to arrive this afternoon.....which is nice!

• Like 1

On 22/12/2020 at 10:06, Paulnb57 said:

@Hell horn.

About 120 beer tokens is best I can find, Ill get one after Xmas, then I need to learn how to set it up !.....

Do  you run overdrive on yours,  twin escs  with different throttle rates, if so about what proportion decrease do you give to the rear?

I have a couple of Quicrun Fusion motors with built in esc, that I hope will fit, two 1200kv, but I also have an 1800kv  that I can rob from another (unfinished) project. I did wonder if I could use the 1800 up front and the 1200 at the rear....would that equate to overdrive? Who knows!

My Bully 2 is scheduled to arrive this afternoon.....which is nice!

Hello mate, exciting times - I hope your Bully2 arrived!!

So personally I would run the 1800kv units - I assume these are brushless.. And no - using an 1800 and an 1200 would be far too wider a gap. Generally you would set the front to OD by maybe 10%, just enough to suck the chassis down when driving forwards. The next part of the set up will depend upon if you have a Dig unit with one ESC or if you have twin ESC. The twin ESC approach gives you more options in that you can have your Dig and Burn still but also can adjust the rate between motors on the fly - usually 5 to 10%. The best thing to do is to get it all set up neutral then do all the extra tweaking.

With regards radios, I use a Sanwa MT4. There are more modern units available as per what Hellhorn has but essentially any 3 or 4 channel unit that has a motor mix function will suffice. I know the Flysky units are very economically priced but do not know if they offer motor mixing.

If you are not already aware there is a Bully facebook page also if you want to look at more builds etc.

All the best and keep us posted!

52 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Hello mate, exciting times - I hope your Bully2 arrived!!

So personally I would run the 1800kv units - I assume these are brushless.. And no - using an 1800 and an 1200 would be far too wider a gap. Generally you would set the front to OD by maybe 10%, just enough to suck the chassis down when driving forwards. The next part of the set up will depend upon if you have a Dig unit with one ESC or if you have twin ESC. The twin ESC approach gives you more options in that you can have your Dig and Burn still but also can adjust the rate between motors on the fly - usually 5 to 10%. The best thing to do is to get it all set up neutral then do all the extra tweaking.

With regards radios, I use a Sanwa MT4. There are more modern units available as per what Hellhorn has but essentially any 3 or 4 channel unit that has a motor mix function will suffice. I know the Flysky units are very economically priced but do not know if they offer motor mixing.

If you are not already aware there is a Bully facebook page also if you want to look at more builds etc.

All the best and keep us posted!

Cheers Stimpy!

Its all a big learning curve,,, it will have twin esc’s and a dig unit, (in the mail) no idea how to set it up though! All good fun....

Maybe not everyones cup o tea, but this is close of play today, still loads to do...

54693133-DFF3-4E8C-BE2F-1D6C7F0C7C45.jpeg

Apologies, not been on here for a bit... 

So if you are to run twin esc then you will not need a DIG unit, just a radio and rx that will do motor mix 👍.

As to batteries, as above I run 450mah units on my crawlers. I do also have some 800mah units which I may use if practicing / playing if out of the 450mah units... Mine are Turnigy3S, usually get the highest C rating I can.. Purchased from Hobby King..

As to the beetle body.... Cool as **** but also equally heavy!! So not my choice for an MOA truck but it's a free world!! hehe..

Cheers @stimpy

Could you talk me through how to dig with a channel mixing radio please? There seems to be a small ( and expensive) choice of radios that motor (channel?) mix, could I use a stick radio?    

You can relax, that vw body is now on a different chassis!