• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Any TV nerds?

Nick

I recently returned a broken TV to Currys and got a credit for it, so I'm looking for a new TV (from Currys). Conveniently during Black Friday week which works for me!

I've done a lot of reading and I'm looking for a TV with an IPS panel for wider viewing (as I sit at the side, so VA displays loose their vividness).

These are what I've narrowed it down to:

LG NANO866NA

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-55nano866na-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-amazon-alexa-10206355-pdt.html

Sony Bravia 55XH8196BU

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/sony-bravia-kd55xh8196bu-55-smart-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-tv-with-google-assistant-10204783-pdt.html

IPS is a decent choice for the most part. If you can stretch, i'd consider OLED over IPS. 

Admittedly, it's quite the stretch. If OLED is out of reach, i'd take a QLED over IPS too. They're eeeever so slightly more expensive than what you've linked, but they're just the better TV - not just Samsungs Panels, but also their Tizen OS. Curries webpage currently is crashed, so i can't link directly there.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7260173

Have a look around for that particular one, or at least in general read into QLED panels and see if that's an alternative. We had a Panasonic before, went to Samsung, their OS is just worlds better than Panasonics.  

I bought a £599 Samsung UE55TU8500  recently having had LG OLED previously. My reasons were:

1. Was going to buy another LG OLED but latest UK ones don't have any UK catchup services and are rather prone to screen burn in more than before

2. Samsung QLED are over priced for what they are. Not proper black of an OLED so why pay the premium?

3. The UE55TU8500 has a dual backlight system rather than the crude LED edge system meaning it can backlight better (more variation) than most all other LED screens. But not as good as OLED obviously.

4. Well configured "Game" modes - mates with the PS4 Pro well.

That's just my reasoning why I bought what I bought - other reasons might be more important to you of course.

It's tricky at the moment obviously but the only sure way is to go and see one before you buy one, but there's nothing wrong with any Panasonic / LG / Sony / Samsung TV really these days compared to years ago - it really is splitting hairs on which is better than another. Other factors like bright / dark rooms and general usage have their place too.

The picture on my Samsung is good enough for me (I design Movie camera Lenses for a living so I like to think I know a good image when I see it) whilst safe in the knowledge I haven't spent £100s more for a tiny imperceptible and subjective "improvement"

As someone who designs camera lenses, suggesting getting a screen with a considerably worse colour gamut and brightness, as well as worse HDR performance (less than 300 nits, really?).. not sure here. In fact, the most common critique for the TU8500 in reviews is that it's not well suited for cineastes or cinephiles. 

Not that the TU8500 is by any means bad. It's the better PS4 screen, certainly (though pointless considering neither are "good enough" for the PS5s potential - if gaming is a focus, i certainly would buy neither, waste of money to get a new screen not good enough to run max refresh rate). In all other measures, other than price, the TU8500 is objectively worse. There's comparison videos on youtube, putting both panels next to each other, i don't think the result is arguable. The Q60T, as a side note, also is dual LED.  

In the end it boils down to what you want to do with the screen. Next gen gaming? Neither of the screens worth the money. Movies? Q60T, not even close. A decent TV for watching netflix? TU8500.  Obviously you can watch netflix on the Q60T, but the 15% increased price becomes an argument there. 

Now.. all that said: i do have an LG NanoCell display. Not a big one (27"), not 4k (1440p/144) - my main PC screen. It certainly does make a nice, bright picture and the viewing angles are indeed not overstated. I have not had the pleasure of looking at a big NanoCell TV, but i don't think it's a bad choice either, if you can get along with the LG OS (not saying it's bad - i haven't used it, i mean test it and see if it runs smooth/reactive and is well designed). I don't think the LG supports HDR though. 

Generally it'd help if you clarify what you need the TV for, and the conditions of your room (bright/dark). 

The LG Nano86 has HDR. It certainly gets more mentions over the Sony XH85. My only worry is that it's using its own smart system which doesn't have all the apps (so I'm told), where the Sony has Android.

I'll be using it mostly in a dark room, for some Xbox (not serious use) but mostly Netflix/Prime. Because I sit to the side, viewing angle is important.

2 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

As someone who designs camera lenses, suggesting getting a screen with a considerably worse colour gamut and brightness, as well as worse HDR performance (less than 300 nits, really?).. not sure here. In fact, the most common critique for the TU8500 in reviews is that it's not well suited for cineastes or cinephiles. 

Not that the TU8500 is by any means bad. It's the better PS4 screen, certainly (though pointless considering neither are "good enough" for the PS5s potential - if gaming is a focus, i certainly would buy neither, waste of money to get a new screen not good enough to run max refresh rate). In all other measures, other than price, the TU8500 is objectively worse. There's comparison videos on youtube, putting both panels next to each other, i don't think the result is arguable. The Q60T, as a side note, also is dual LED.  

In the end it boils down to what you want to do with the screen. Next gen gaming? Neither of the screens worth the money. Movies? Q60T, not even close. A decent TV for watching netflix? TU8500.  Obviously you can watch netflix on the Q60T, but the 15% increased price becomes an argument there. 

Now.. all that said: i do have an LG NanoCell display. Not a big one (27"), not 4k (1440p/144) - my main PC screen. It certainly does make a nice, bright picture and the viewing angles are indeed not overstated. I have not had the pleasure of looking at a big NanoCell TV, but i don't think it's a bad choice either, if you can get along with the LG OS (not saying it's bad - i haven't used it, i mean test it and see if it runs smooth/reactive and is well designed). I don't think the LG supports HDR though. 

Generally it'd help if you clarify what you need the TV for, and the conditions of your room (bright/dark). 

You say it yourself. - all boils down to "objectively" what you want to do with the screen and how much you want to pay. Images and screen are not all about numbers for Gamut and nit scores as I was trying to portray.

My car only does 167mph. True it's not as fast as one that does 170mph which costs £30,000 more.. so "not as good" but who really cares?

But yeah, what do I know  - you seem to have all the bases covered and a far better knowledge of TV's and images than me. 🙂  👍

Edited by DAL3D

1 hour ago, DAL3D said:

You say it yourself. - all boils down to "objectively" what you want to do with the screen and how much you want to pay. Images and screen are not all about numbers for Gamut and nit scores as I was trying to portray.

Objectively a CRT does the trick.

And, yeah. It does come down to numbers. "Nit score" is incredibly important when choosing a screen. Any screen. "Nit score" is brightness. Brightness is measured in nits. Considering i'm a photographer for over 20 years now (and have worked a Red One and and Cinema EOS a few times), i'd argue that indeed i have a decent understanding in regards to actual picture quality. So, yeah, i do have all the bases covered thank you very much. 

3 hours ago, Nick said:

The LG Nano86 has HDR. It certainly gets more mentions over the Sony XH85. My only worry is that it's using its own smart system which doesn't have all the apps (so I'm told), where the Sony has Android.

I'll be using it mostly in a dark room, for some Xbox (not serious use) but mostly Netflix/Prime. Because I sit to the side, viewing angle is important.

You're correct. It does do HDR, but not HDR10+. Not important for netflix and/or Xbox use. 

You're a bit in an odd spot. Picture quality is massively better on a VA panel in a dark room, where IPS shines in a bright room. Of course, on the other hand, the IPS has the viewing angles you'd want. I personally hate that in the dark, my IPS shows "black" as "grey" (inherent to IPS panels). But i suppose it's better than barely seeing anything due to the angles, so if you can't find (or want) a way to work around the viewing angle, you probably want to go with an IPS regardless of picture quality.

11 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

i'm a photographer for over 20 years now (and have worked a Red One and and Cinema EOS a few times), i'd argue that indeed i have a decent understanding in regards to actual picture quality. So, yeah, i do have all the bases covered thank you very much.

That's nice. I've been in pre / post production of movies for over 30 years and have designed some of what you've used as well as other stuff.

We all have different opinions - that's why fora are so interesting  👌

@Nick Maybe wait a bit as 8K are coming down in price (joke!)

Edited by DAL3D

I'm no expert or nerd and still use a Panasonic plasma, as dont see the need yet to change. Viewing distance, room lighting, viewing angle, source quality, how good your eyesight is, will all have a factor in choosing screen size and type. If you have a budget then stick to it and try and find last years models. It is worth reading https://www.avforums.com/forums/what-is-the-best-tv-for-you.367/ and checking hotukdeals for some feedback and comments on latest deals.  There's no guarantee that the software will be supported in the future so having a second source such as a firestick is an option.

• Like 1

Very true! My old trusty Panasonic Plasma G20 had an amazing picture. But then production costs for plasma are that high, gawd knows how much a 4K plasma would be. That and they closed all the plasma plants due to "the next big thing" coming along. Also did a decent job of heating the room up too 🤣

My plasma is by now probably serving as an anchor for a super tanker or aircraft carrier, considering the weight. 

While obviously i wouldn't wait for 8k to come down in price, i did spot something that would sell the Nano86 to me over the rest. While personally i'd go with a Nano90 (albeit more expensive - it's just better in a dark room due to full array local dimming, meaning no halos in the dark), the Nano86 is the only TV mentioned here that's next-gen console ready, supporting 4k/120. 

You didn't specify what Xbox you're using, but chances are that if you're into consoles, you'll eventually have a Series X. And at that point you might regret not having bought a 4k/120 screen, even if you're not currently utilising it. The Nano86 is considerably more "future proof" in that regard.

edit: and i think it's the most affordable "future proof" unit available at the moment, with the rest being considerably more than £100 ahead in price. 

Edited by m4inbrain

My plasma, Its heavy but I dont move it, it consumes more power than the  latest but dries my washing too, it still works (10+ years) and is great with 1080p. I've seen a few qleds in homes and dont seem any better with 1080p sources. I prefer black being black, decent viewing angles and no lag with sports and only oled will probably get near to that. Choosing a TV these days is too complicated for my liking, too much jargon, and I dont want it hanging on a wall or taking over the room.  To get the benefit of 4k dont you have to sit quite near and have it ginormouse size?  Better not get off topic.

Nick, if you cant see the tv in the flesh and sit in front of it for more than 5 minutes,  with  sources that you would typically watch, then read up and research and make sure you can return it if it's not to your liking. Sometimes it also depends on the  quality of your past tv. You should get something decent in the bracket your looking at. A 5 year warranty is usually recommended.

• Like 1

After a lot of discussion on AVForums I went with the Sony Bravia 55" 9505. Has really good reviews and suits my needs,  it's close to OLED prices but I was already stretching my budget and prefer a top of the range LED instead of a bottom range OLED. :good:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...