• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Which Dremel and Airbrush should I ask Santa for?

Fat Freddy

Hi folks,

A couple of questions I hope someone can help me with.

1) Anybody know which Dremel is best to go for? There seem to be a few versions,  some corded and some Cordless, some with a plethora of attachments and some with a basic selection.

Is Cordless worth paying the extra for? How many attachments do you really need?

2) Can anyone recommend a competent but reasonably priced airbrush set up? There seem to be some really cheap ones on fleabay but sometimes you get what you pay for. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 👍

Iv got both corded and cordless ones (2 of each because I set multiple tools at once) both have up and down sides but I'd go corded you get slightly higher rpm and torque, iv got the Aldi special buy ones (you can't go wrong with the 3yr warranty but you have to time it right as they only have them in twice a year) the cheap ones iv found are as good as the name brand ones and they last a good few years (I had a netto £20 cheapy that lasted 10yr in weekly use)

I can't help with the airbrush because I'm still looking for one myself and like you I'm not sure what to get aside from a compressor with an air tank (personal preference)

• Like 2

With FIMS on this buy a proper Dremel the bits and pieces of the cheaper style tools arnt as good 

I have both a corded and rechargeable types use corded for bigger longer jobs and cordless for quick small jobs 🍻

• Like 2

I mean. ... I speak from my personal experience of heavily using dremel day in day out over the year to cut out the bodies etc... 

If there's ever a weak ' dremel'.. Then cutting kevlar sorts the wheat from the chaff in terms of quality.... 

The El cheapo ones I've had (5 of them now in the last year) are OK for smaller less frequent jobs.... 3 of mine are still working well.. 2 went in the first month... 

I have 2 old dremels... Both corded... Ones still going (6 years old)... The other went after 8 years about 7 or 8 months back.... They definitely use better motors the proper branded dremel... Although I will add.. It depends which model you opt for... 

Which leads me to my lats point.... Cordless is OK... Again for small jobs... 

But in my experience, losing power to a tool halfway through a cut is most frustrating.... Especially if its a time sensitive job... 

Horses for courses as they say.... 

Buy something that suits your needs... By all means a £20 ebay vonhaus one may well amply suffice... 

• Like 1

As others have said it depends on how heavy a user you are planning on being. I currently have a Dremel corded one (But started with a Como Drill one in the early 90's!) and it is the best one I have had.

However for the use I currently give it I suspect a cheap one would have lasted just as well!

Matt Leblanc Reaction GIF

Ian...

I would get an Iwata airbrush, like a Eclipse and if you get a dremel, get a dremel, not a knock off. Something like this has everything in it.  Remeber to factor in the air compressor with the airbrush. Expect to spend at least £100 on that. 

Edited by mond
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mond said:

I would get an Iwata airbrush, like a Eclipse and if you get a dremel, get a dremel, not a knock off. Something like this has everything in it.  Remeber to factor in the air compressor with the airbrush. Expect to spend at least £100 on that. 

Good point re the compressor, my Christmas list just went from “and” to “or”,

decisions decisions eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Calling all Dremel experts.....

I have a few Dremel related questions but first, as Black Friday approaches, does anyone know of any good deals on Dremels?

I thought I’d found one, a 4000 with 3 attachments and a gazillion tools for £119 but noticed at the last moment, “Estimated delivery 13th Jan 21”.

Never mind, keep looking.

Not sure I’m not getting carried away, that’s way over my original budget by about 50% 😂

So....

How much real difference is there between the 3000 and the 4000 and which would you recommend?

Which attachments have you found most useful?

Any other pointers to offer?

Thanks 👍

the 3000 is smaller and slower than the 4000 and an older model than the 4000 

i picked my 3000 up in B+Q at a knockdown price  a few years back i think it was £30ish

i picked up my 8220 rechargable off Amazon during Prime day for £78  about a £40 saving at time 

definately check B+Q and Amazon out  

if you go for a rechargable 1 get an extra battery or 2 but get the Samsung 1's as they are about 1/4 price and 3000 mah over the Dremel 1's as they are only 2000mah 

Dremel 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-26150880ja-Lithium-Battery-Multitool/dp/B075FTT83D/ref=sr_1_58?dchild=1&keywords=dremel&qid=1606428740&sr=8-58

Samsung

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GJTYLG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I know you’ll all be on tenterhooks wondering what happened next....

So it seems Santa decided to leave the airbrush for the time being, but got a bit carried away with the Dremel and left this lot.

Mrs insists they DO have to be wrapped and put beneath the tree, despite knowing how useful these will be for my current project...... harsh. 

Edited by Fat Freddy
Deleted pics to make space
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1