• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Totally confused beginner

Tabbie

Hi am beginner and really love the idea of getting a rc car but am sure you can understand its extremely confusing to a novice.  A Traxxax slash has everything am looking for but is this too extreme for a beginner? Where should I start looking to purchase everything I need a complete package ideally? 

Any advice is more than welcome. 

Hi am beginner and really love the idea of getting a rc car but am sure you can understand its extremely confusing to a novice.  A Traxxax slash has everything am looking for but is this too extreme for a beginner? Where should I start looking to purchase everything I need a complete package ideally? 
What's your budget and do you want to do build, RTR
On road, off road buggy ect

Sent from my RCT6613W23PU using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Tabbie said:

It all depends. A Slash isn't really extreme, but i also wouldn't call it a great choice. 

If you like the Slash, have a look at the Arrma Senton 3s. It's the better RC (and i assume cheaper too). If you want to start tame, get a 2s battery with it and enjoy yourself - it's not stupendously fast on 2s, but reasonable. 

This one here:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrma-1-10-senton-4x4-v3-3s-blx-brushless-short-course-truck-rtr-red/rc-car-products/1331729

Comes in different colours too, if necessary. 

Though, it all really depends on what you want to do with it. 

1 minute ago, Gampla said:

What's your budget and do you want to do build, RTR
On road, off road buggy ect

Off road definitely budget approx £400 there or about I'd happy build something thanks for the reply. 

Just now, Tabbie said:

Not racing so I guess bashing,  I appreciate your replies. 

Okay. So there's a few trucks in your budget (i assume those £400 have to include batteries, charger etc as well since you probably don't have anything yet?). 

I'd just need to know what exactly you mean by offroad. A gravel road, or proper "bumpy stuff"? Do you intend to jump it? Would you like to have it pull wheelies, etc?  

3 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Okay. So there's a few trucks in your budget (i assume those £400 have to include batteries, charger etc as well since you probably don't have anything yet?). 

I'd just need to know what exactly you mean by offroad. A gravel road, or proper "bumpy stuff"? Do you intend to jump it? Would you like to have it pull wheelies, etc?  

Definitely jumps and bumpy stuff not bothered about wheelie but I'd like speed or the option to upgrade.  Ideally £400 includes batteries everything but I don't want to start going above £500 for a beginner with no real experience of rc cars.

Definitely jumps and bumpy stuff not bothered about wheelie but I'd like speed or the option to upgrade.  Ideally £400 includes batteries everything but I don't want to start going above £500 for a beginner with no real experience of rc cars.
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-carnage-2-0-1-10-brushed-truck-4wd-rtr-blue/rc-car-products/444807

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tabbie said:

That's okay bud.

Jumps and bumpy stuff aren't necessarily short course truck territories (the Slash/Senton are so called short course trucks). If i were to suggest vehicles, it'd be one of these.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrma-granite-v3-3s-blx-red/rc-car-products/1331724

or:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrma-big-rock-monster-truck-3s-blx-with-spektrum/rc-car-products/442032

or: 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/associated-rival-mt10-3s-rtr-truck-brushless/rc-car-products/446047

on modelsport, on the right hand side of the webpage, they offer "power packages" which include batteries and charger. 

None of these is "bulletproof", so things will break (things will break on higher spec/more expensive RCs too, don't get me wrong) eventually, but that's part of RCing. If i had to suggest a single one out of these? The Associated Rival MT10  Power Bundle 1 (with the 7.4v battery). A lot of speed comes by simply putting a bigger battery in the truck, all these will run a tame 2s pack for "easing into the hobby", and go pretty rapid with a 3s pack. The Power Pack 1 comes with a 2s (or 7.4v) battery, charger etc, all you need to get going. 

That's my personal opinion, i have a few short course trucks, but they're not much fun on the bumpier stuff. At least not compared to something with big tyres.

edit: the Carnage suggested by Gampla is severely lacking in the speed department. Honestly, with brushless setups coming down so much in price, it's kind of a waste to throw money at a brushed RC and then some more to make it brushless. Again, just me.

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

That's okay bud.

Jumps and bumpy stuff aren't necessarily short course truck territories (the Slash/Senton are so called short course trucks). If i were to suggest vehicles, it'd be one of these.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrma-granite-v3-3s-blx-red/rc-car-products/1331724

or:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/arrma-big-rock-monster-truck-3s-blx-with-spektrum/rc-car-products/442032

or: 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/associated-rival-mt10-3s-rtr-truck-brushless/rc-car-products/446047

on modelsport, on the right hand side of the webpage, they offer "power packages" which include batteries and charger. 

None of these is "bulletproof", so things will break (things will break on higher spec/more expensive RCs too, don't get me wrong) eventually, but that's part of RCing. If i had to suggest a single one out of these? The Associated Rival MT10  Power Bundle 1 (with the 7.4v battery). A lot of speed comes by simply putting a bigger battery in the truck, all these will run a tame 2s pack for "easing into the hobby", and go pretty rapid with a 3s pack. The Power Pack 1 comes with a 2s (or 7.4v) battery, charger etc, all you need to get going. 

That's my personal opinion, i have a few short course trucks, but they're not much fun on the bumpier stuff. At least not compared to something with big tyres.

Your a star lots to be be thinking about thank you for taking the time to reply, I shall take a look at them options.

I will need a small rc car for my 5 yr old lad otherwise he'll hound me once I get mine.

• Like 1

Just now, Tabbie said:

Your a star lots to be be thinking about thank you for taking the time to reply, I shall take a look at them options.

I will need a small rc car for my 5 yr old lad otherwise he'll hound me once I get mine.

Not sure what to suggest for a 5y old, i think a trip to the toy store is the best option in that case. 

Just make sure that, in case you do go for one of the suggested ones, you get a 2s (7.4v) lipo/power pack, rather than a 3s (11.1v) lipo/power pack in the beginning. The 3s pack is what you want to be graduating to, because these trucks do become pretty rapid on 3s. 

• Like 1

Not sure what to suggest for a 5y old, i think a trip to the toy store is the best option in that case. 

Just make sure that, in case you do go for one of the suggested ones, you get a 2s (7.4v) lipo/power pack, rather than a 3s (11.1v) lipo/power pack in the beginning. The 3s pack is what you want to be graduating to, because these trucks do become pretty rapid on 3s. 

argos has a few starter rc cars for as little as £20 but will need some batteries if you want to spend money why not get a tamiya grass hopper with a nihm

• Like 1

Just now, Gampla said:

argos has a few starter rc cars for as little as £20 but will need some batteries if you want to spend money why not get a tamiya grass hopper with a nihm

The kids of the neighbours around here caught the RC virus when i moved in (so did two of my neighbours, now owning a 30dn SDT, Kraton 6s and Mojave lol), they're all around 5 years old - and they're not what i'd call "soft" on their toy RCs. As much as i love the grass hopper (my first exposure to RCs 30 years ago), it takes one hit against a curb to break it. 

Of course it's up to each own, i personally would stick with a £20 offroader from Argos or a toy shop. 

• Like 1

The kids of the neighbours around here caught the RC virus when i moved in (so did two of my neighbours, now owning a 30dn SDT, Kraton 6s and Mojave lol), they're all around 5 years old - and they're not what i'd call "soft" on their toy RCs. As much as i love the grass hopper (my first exposure to RCs 30 years ago), it takes one hit against a curb to break it. 

Of course it's up to each own, i personally would stick with a £20 offroader from Argos or a toy shop. 
Was a suggestion

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gampla said:

Was a suggestion

I know, didn't complain or anything - just pointing out why i didn't suggest a brushed tamiya (like a lunchbox etc). They just don't hold up to the abuse that kids put them through. At least going by what i see when the kids around here take their RCs out. I don't have kids, so i can't judge it. 

I know, didn't complain or anything - just pointing out why i didn't suggest a brushed tamiya (like a lunchbox etc). They just don't hold up to the abuse that kids put them through. At least going by what i see when the kids around here take their RCs out. I don't have kids, so i can't judge it. 
my tt02 has been in the hands of kids from 5-11 been hit against kerbs only thing needs to be replaced is a set of wheels

1 minute ago, Gampla said:

my tt02 has been in the hands of kids from 5-11 been hit against kerbs only thing needs to be replaced is a set of wheels

The grasshopper doesn't have a foam bumper to protect the wheels - if it hits a curb, it hits it with the wheel. 

Again: i personally wouldn't, that doesn't mean no one else can. A comical grasshopper is probably a blast for a kid.

The grasshopper doesn't have a foam bumper to protect the wheels - if it hits a curb, it hits it with the wheel. 

Again: i personally wouldn't, that doesn't mean no one else can. A comical grasshopper is probably a blast for a kid.
best thing then either argos or amazon heck even ebay, why not a wltoys from banggoods as they seem to be popular at the moment

WLToys is an option too, absolutely yes.

I just don't have any experience with them, and due to their stupid naming scheme (all numbers), i wouldn't know what to suggest.

WLToys is an option too, absolutely yes.

I just don't have any experience with them, and due to their stupid naming scheme (all numbers), i wouldn't know what to suggest.
people like the wl 144001 same i don't have any experience with them

Kids learn fast. Your 5yr old will be as good as (or better than) you in a few years.

You need to get him something comparable to yours in terms of build quality and fixability or else his car will be sat on the shelf waiting for parts while he clamours to drive yours.

Personally I'd say a new or used Rustler XL-5 would be ideal. It can be cheaply upgraded to Brushless down the line. Easy to fix. Cheap to upgrade. Loadsa spares available.

My 7yr old started driving one 4yrs ago and now he handles a 6S Kraton with aplomb. My 5yr old drives it now, in VXL configuration, and he's making the transition to a 6S Outcast.

Sent from my MIX2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1