• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Oops caught fire 🔥

Mack1

Well I certainly had some excitement today. After about 12mins of driving like an hooligan around the farm the failsafe cut in and stopped the car dead in its tracks. As im walking over a big cloud of smoke came out the front followed by a nasty burning smell.  Then came the running to try and turn everything off and limit any more damage. Got the battery out then left it for 20 min to cool off. Got home and found this after stripping it all down. Connectors melted and a new servo dead. More burnt wires were found as car got stripped down further.

20200911_142627_copy_726x326.jpg

20200911_143033_copy_726x1612.jpg

20200911_144838_copy_726x326.jpg

20200911_150658_copy_726x1612.jpg

20200911_143954_copy_726x1612.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

When I fitted it I made sure the cables were loose everywhere.  I do believe though it started inside of the servo and tracked back to the reciever.  The servo is also very stiff to turn, maybe the motor gave out? 

27 minutes ago, Bajadre said:

Was it set at 6v or 7.4v Mack?

It's a 7.4v reciever pack that I also use in my 700 nitro heli.

17 minutes ago, Tug said:

My money's on the servo. 

My thoughts as well. Hoping it is, as I am sending it back as a warranty claim.

• Like 1

Sent the servo back to the shop today for them to send to the manufacturer. Don't know what the outcome will be I'm just hoping I won't be fobbed off with it was my fault because I didn't do this or I should have done that. Looks like I'm going to be without a truck for the foreseeable time.:sadwalk:

The middle pin on the reciever was slightly out of position after I pulled the plug out (slightly loose) I was able to push it back into position but I have not been able to check for any damage as yet as we have been out and about today in town/post office.  Will check it out later today hopefully. 

Some good news for me. I have now tested the reciever and initial tests show it is working fine. You wouldn't believe how relieved I am at this moment especially when you see the price of the recievers 🙂. Not hugely expensive but not much difference from the Spektrum stuff I have moved away from because of the prices of their recievers 🙄.

• Like 1

Started on the rebuild today. Bought some more leads as the extent of the damage was a whole lot more than iI thought, and also a surface mounted XT60.  There was no way I was going to fork out £22 for a simple on off switch from losi. Just waiting for a servo now.

20200917_173750_copy_1612x726.jpg

20200917_182433_copy_1612x726.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

I done the exact same thing for for my 5ive T, I was running a 4s Rx pack because of the big Hitec and wanted a very quick way to kill everting incase it all got a bit smokey 🤣🤣🤣

C2-C08987-A7-FE-40-FE-995-C-07-A5-EEF3-D

I wonder if that's where I seen it done before. Couldn't remember how I got the idea from to use an XT60 as until now I never really needed it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Received a replacement warranty servo today to my excitement. Hadn't heard anything since posting it back to the shop under warranty. Then getting home tonight I see this waiting for me. There wasn't any explanation of what went wrong with the other servo, just a brand new servo for me. 😀

PhotoPictureResizer_20201002_195553.jpg

• Like 2