• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie alert

Nina

Hello, 

I'm looking for advise please. I brought my son a bugsta carnage with a brushed motor for his birthday. 

We took it out last night for first time, and we used it with battery supplied and a 5000 mah battery over dusty gravel path. 

When we had finished as we thought batteries were dead, the motor was very hot to touch so headed home taking batteries out to cool. 

Gone to try and play today with it but nothing is working, don't even get a beep when connect recharged battery. Led by battery steady but led by motor is flashing. Upturned the car and something hanging out of motor.. Have we manged to burn out the motor? 

Help please, do I send back or just get a new motor? 

Hard to tell from these pictures, but there's definitely debris in the motor (stating the obvious). 

In regards to whether to send it back or repair it yourself, that entirely depends on your capabilities. It's of course absolutely possible to change the motor/fix the RC, but nobody can make that decision for you. You can for example take the motor out of the RC and open it, and see what falls out (it's hard to tell if i see a cable there or if it's washing line). Or you let us know where you're located (at least the rough area), plenty of people here who'd offer to help and fix it. 

In any case:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=353109485436&category=182213&pm=1&ds=0&t=1599139250000&ver=0

this is the replacement motor. 

Few questions: what are the specifications of the 5000mah battery (voltage, mainly)? Did the truck run all the way until you turned it off, or did it stop by itself (maybe because you thought the battery was dead)? 

Edited by m4inbrain
  • Like 1

Actually, that's my main question. Did you turn it off after it stopped by itself (maybe a weird noise?), or did you turn it off even though it was still able to drive? 

How long (very roughly) did you run the 5000mah battery before you assumed it was dead? 

Reason here being, if the truck stopped by itself (and you assumed the battery is dead) - it might be that the battery wasn't empty (5000mah on a bugsta should last a while), but something in the motor just went poof. You can also put it on the ground, and carefully roll it - what noise does it make? 

4 minutes ago, Nina said:

My son said he heard a weird noise a descending whirr and then nothing. They had been playing with it for about half a hour on the big battery. And the buggy rattles when you give it a light shake.... 

Yeah, that sounds like the motor delaminated (broke). 

Rattling is normal to some extend (depends on where it's coming from). That washing line part there, that's hanging out - is that a cable, can you (carefully) pull on it? 

Edited by m4inbrain

Just now, Nina said:

I can pull it out, but reluctant too if sending it back.. In your opinion is it because we took it over a dirttrack/bmx track that it's blown or is it a dud one 

Nah. Definitely a dud motor. Happens.

Since this was the first run (i missed that part in the beginning), i'd send it back. Brushed motors do require maintenance, otherwise they might not last long - but of course they shouldn't just go poof on the first run. The truck itself is made for offroading, and if you/your son overdid it with jumping etc, a suspension component would've broke, not the motor. The only reason for the motor to blow up on the first run (other than it being a dud)  would be "the wrong battery", which is why i asked what the voltage on the big battery is (to find out if it's a 5000mah NiMH or a 5000mah 2s LiPo). 

8 minutes ago, Nina said:

Can I ask how long should a 5000 mah NiMH battery last please

should be good for 20mins + on nimh Nina

the pictures do like it spicksedsome crap up in the motor there, the motor will overheat on gravel as it gets less tractions and with the dust flying about clogs up the cooling etc  give the car a good shake and try to get some of the stones out

welcome to MSUK btw