• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wheel wobble

Jetman_71

Unboxed and test  drive my new Axial Wraith 1.9 - not taken it outdoors yet as I appear to have some wheel wobble, or at least that’s what it appears to be.  Put it in forward or reverse and when stood immediately behind the Wraith the wheels seem to wobble. I’ve checked all wheels are on tight which they are. Wheel nuts are, from what I can see seated correctly on the thread.  Any suggestions?

Thanks. 

Unboxed and test  drive my new Axial Wraith 1.9 - not taken it outdoors yet as I appear to have some wheel wobble, or at least that’s what it appears to be.  Put it in forward or reverse and when stood immediately behind the Wraith the wheels seem to wobble. I’ve checked all wheels are on tight which they are. Wheel nuts are, from what I can see seated correctly on the thread.  Any suggestions?

Thanks. 
They have to have some wobble as the nut is Center not like a motor vehicle which is spread out 4x100/105 ect

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

I did wonder if this would be the case. It just appears much more exaggerated than on my HPI MT Flux but it may just be more noticeable as everything is a lot slower on the Wraith (not that I’m complaining as that was a deliberate choice) than going all out on the MT Flux.

I did wonder if this would be the case. It just appears much more exaggerated than on my HPI MT Flux but it may just be more noticeable as everything is a lot slower on the Wraith (not that I’m complaining as that was a deliberate choice) than going all out on the MT Flux.
Does it still got straight or drive off to one side

7 minutes ago, Gampla said:

They have to have some wobble as the nut is Center not like a motor vehicle which is spread out 4x100/105 ect

That's not true. If the wheel is correctly seated and all parts compatible, there's no reason to have wheel wobble on an rc. 

That's not true. If the wheel is correctly seated and all parts compatible, there's no reason to have wheel wobble on an rc. 
Even my tt02 has wobble and I torque the nut down it has full adjustable front and rear plus I said some wobble,
You also gotta remember a stock rc car cant change camber or toe

Wheel wobble is completely normal, for multiple reasons. A: as mentioned, the wheelnut is center and often wheels are offset on top, exaggerating any movement. B: both glued and beadlocked tyres are never 100% evenly mounted. Third, you might have flat spots depending on how long the RC was sitting without movement. Fourth, slight play in wheel hubs. Fifth, simply manufacturing tolerance. Hell, you could even check if the stubs sit 100% straight - my TRX4 wheel wobble got a lot better after i figured out that i had bent a stub slightly.

I bought tyres worth hundreds of pounds from reputable brands like proline, part of them pre-mounted. Almost always i have to either delaminate and reglue them (or open the bead), or i just live with some degree of wobble.

Your options, if it bothers you to or if it's so bad that you're concerned about extra wear and tear: re-seat the tyre in the beadlock, if i'm not mistaken the Wraith comes with beadlocks out of the box, so it's not that much hassle. 

An easy way to check where your problem is, is to see what exactly is wobbling. Look closely at the wheel when it's moving - if it's the tyre wobbling, re-seat. If it's the rim wobbling, not much you can do. 

Edited by m4inbrain

7 minutes ago, Gampla said:

Even my tt02 has wobble and I torque the nut down it has full adjustable front and rear plus I said some wobble,
You also gotta remember a stock rc car cant change camber or toe

I'm talking about wheel wobble, not tyres being out of alignment, slop in the steering etc. Even on 4s my car park bashers would be horrible if the wheels wobbled. 

Maybe I've just got lucky on mine but my wheels fit the shaft they're designed to. All my hypers run true with a central nut. My mad bull doesn't run true and it's having parts replaced to make it right.

I guess on something dog slow it doesn't matter so people just accept it. 

Edited by Smoothybb

I'm talking about wheel wobble, not tyres being out of alignment, slop in the steering etc. Even on 4s my car park bashers would be horrible if the wheels wobbled.  Maybe I've just got lucky on mine but my wheels fit the shaft they're designed to. All my hypers run true with a central nut. My mad bull doesn't run true and it's having parts replaced to make it right.

I guess on something dog slow it doesn't matter so people just accept it. 

If it bothers you then https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/fastrax-tyre-truer-19699?gclid=CjwKCAjwtNf6BRAwEiwAkt6UQpfXOZIaX0QcXn-cIi1G7clnfYsyNEc_sLYdfsWuNuWzdPbJPZc2EBoCuuYQAvD_BwE 

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/111591/

My tt02 hits 40mph still runs straight

Just now, Gampla said:

If what bothers me? I've literally just said I only have a problem with the mad bull and that's got shafts and wheels on order to sort it. 

Like I say, if you're happy with a sloppy setup, crack on, it's your model, I'm just saying you don't have to accept it just because it's a central nut. I'm pretty sure F1 cars only use a single central nut but the components seat properly. 

If what bothers me? I've literally just said I only have a problem with the mad bull and that's got shafts and wheels on order to sort it. 
Like I say, if you're happy with a sloppy setup, crack on, it's your model, I'm just saying you don't have to accept it just because it's a central nut. I'm pretty sure F1 cars only use a single central nut but the components seat properly. 
Because they are balanced and torqued onto the hub like most motor vehicles but even still they have tyre wobble

17 minutes ago, Gampla said:

Because they are balanced and torqued onto the hub like most motor vehicles but even still they have tyre wobble

Right, so nothing to do with the central nut then. 

1 hour ago, Gampla said:

4 minutes ago, Gampla said:

F1 cars have lots of adjustments unlike a stock rc which has 1/2

But then you can't compare a vehicle to a rc car that will be like comparing a £1m to a £500 car

25 minutes ago, Gampla said:

Let me make this clear as you seem to be missing the point. 

You stated that because rc's use a central nut, there will always be wheel wobble. This is incorrect. The shaft, the drive seat, the wheel, the tyres, all of these will have an effect but you cannot say that by default, a central nut causes wheel wobble. 

Let me make this clear as you seem to be missing the point. 
You stated that because rc's use a central nut, there will always be wheel wobble. This is incorrect. The shaft, the drive seat, the wheel, the tyres, all of these will have an effect but you cannot say that by default, a central nut causes wheel wobble. 
So whats the difference between these two then3f2bb907c405dfc18df8af6da94290ac.jpg7c769587d9be960dd3ae9e7c0d2ad78e.jpg

Just now, Gampla said:

So whats the difference between these two then3f2bb907c405dfc18df8af6da94290ac.jpg7c769587d9be960dd3ae9e7c0d2ad78e.jpg

Are being deliberately obtuse? 

You've made countless false statements and yet continue to double down with more irrelevance. 

Guys, I’m sorry that this has caused more of a debate than was intended.  I have contacted the retailer and I am awaiting a reply. Unfortunately the 7mb file size won’t let me upload the video I have taken. I’m just hoping they sort it out. I’m happy to repair / fix things when it is my own doing. Certainly did with my MT Flux but this .... straight out of the box. Doesn’t seem right to me.

Im gutted - just wanted to go crawling☹️

Are being deliberately obtuse? 
You've made countless false statements and yet continue to double down with more irrelevance. 
Your the one who brought up f1 formula 1 isn't I the same class or league as a stupid plastic car doesn't matter if they both use central nut F1 WHEELS AND TYRES ARE BALANCED AND TORQUED TO A HUB WITH ADJUSTABLE CAMBER TOE WHERE AS A RC WHEEL IS INJECTED FORMED WITH IMPERFECTION AS FOR TYRES AND ANYTHING F1 CARS HAVE VERY TIGHT TOLERANCE TO MEET FIA SPECS RC DONT NEED TO MEET ANY SORT OF TOLERANCE

16 minutes ago, Gampla said:

Your the one who brought up f1 formula 1 isn't I the same class or league as a stupid plastic car doesn't matter if they both use central nut F1 WHEELS AND TYRES ARE BALANCED AND TORQUED TO A HUB WITH ADJUSTABLE CAMBER TOE WHERE AS A RC WHEEL IS INJECTED FORMED WITH IMPERFECTION AS FOR TYRES AND ANYTHING F1 CARS HAVE VERY TIGHT TOLERANCE TO MEET FIA SPECS RC DONT NEED TO MEET ANY SORT OF TOLERANCE

That's very shouty. I hope your keyboard survived. 👍

• Like 1