• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas rustler

Oozzle

Hi all posting on behalf of my son (10) he currently has traxxas rustler with titan 15t motor -xl5 esc and a lipo 7.4v 30c /60c  core battery  

He wants it to go a bit quicker but we are at a loss any one any suggestions of what we can do really don't have skill base to solder ect plug and play would be great thanks in advance 

• Like 2

Slightly bigger pinion will yield a few more m.p.h, but on a stock Rusty I wouldn't recommend BL, he'll be breaking parts far more often. 

Plenty of hop-ups available, but once you start down that road it's a long road!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

Slightly bigger pinion will yield a few more m.p.h, but on a stock Rusty I wouldn't recommend BL, he'll be breaking parts far more often. 

Plenty of hop-ups available, but once you start down that road it's a long road!

Hi it came with a bigger pinion but doesn't recommend it for off road he is currently using it on short grass I would say that's not off road but as a said we are not really sure but Thankyou for reply 

3 hours ago, Oozzle said:

It's a learning kurb he's heading to a club near by on Sunday to race his car so I'll pick a few brains there thanks for the help 

if he is competant at handling it, a mild brushless setup something like a 3300kv might do the job, make sure you have it fully ball raced as well, got a traxxass bandit that used to be a xl5, all i done was change wheel bushings for bearings and added a 3300kv motor and esc to it, plus a back rpm motor guard i wheely on and a rpm front bumper, only thing that ever broke was the back shock tower when i landed hard and awkward from a wheely, also running 2s and it is plenty fast  on the stock gearing :)

any parts break just replace em with rpm parts :)

edit: what ever you and your son decide to do get one of these https://www.modelsport.co.uk/rpm-wide-front-bumper-for-2wd-traxxas-models-blue/rc-car-products/31911

saved my rustler and bandit a load of times, the bumper and chassis it is hooked up to can absorb big impacts instead of one of the suspension arms snapping  :)

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1

Pretty much like Yrkoon says.

The XL5 and VXL have the same drive train so you can go Brushless easily enough.

Either get a cheapo 1/10th combo of ebay or (much better) a Hobbywing combo for around £70-80. You can sell your XL5 combo on eBay. People always buy them - I don't know why....

It'll be quick on 2S and mad on 3S. You'll need a wheelie bar too. I went to MOD 0.8/32p gears on mine as the 48p kept stripping on 3S.

As said, swap any broken plastic bits for RPM parts if they break. The exception would be alloy caster blocks as the RPM ones flex so much the pins can bend.

A good shock upgrade are the HongNor copies on Aliexpress 92mm fr and 105mm rr.

Tyres? Depends on the surface but Proline Trenchers do well in most conditions. Anacondas can be had really cheaply and are good on harder surfaces.

Sent from my MIX2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1