• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw Crawler

Redback

10 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

Do look at DumboRC on banggood, my 6 channel that I use with the rear steer was under £30 delivered and really is awesome 

Is this the one?

https://www.banggood.com/DumboRC-X6-2_4G-6CH-Transmitter-with-X6FG-Receiver-for-JJRC-Q65-MN-90-Rc-Car-Boat-Tank-Model-Parts-p-1454329.html?cur_warehouse=CN&ID=229

It does have some excellent reviews! Does it come with the receiver or do you need to order that separate?

https://www.banggood.com/DUMBORC-X6FG-2_4G-6CH-Receiver-with-Gyro-for-RC-X6-Transmitter-Remote-Controller-p-1520829.html?rmmds=detail-topright-recommendation&cur_warehouse=CN

26 minutes ago, Eclipsed4ever said:

This is the one I got, it does include the receiver and the receiver has a gyro which can be useful so as it was just as cheap I got it as it added more functionality

DumboRC X6A 2.4G 6CH Transmitter with X6FG Receiver for JJRC Q65 MN-90 RC Vehicles Model
https://banggood.app.link/ygW5gs9YHeb

Edited by walkbythesea

14 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

ok, so apart from the obvious brushless esc and motor, what else is difference between the brushless and brushed version?

Lipo battery in the brushless set, crappy nimh in the brushed - brushless is metallic blue in the details, brushed is flat red - brushless has vented wheels and brushed unvented as stock

• Like 1

Good call those radios seem pretty solid i have a nockoff or rebrand dumbo rc i got with a rtr and its got a good 300m+ range.
Alternatively as i wanted some dials for winches / more chans than the 2chan notdumbo.
I also use RadioLink RC4GS as these can be powered by little lipo batteries saving me a fortune, battery box is bigenough to hold 2, tons of programming and run 3 models from this one remote with the ability for more, range should be good for 400m

I tried to see if the element stealth x transmission would work, I wanted to try this ones because its got overdrive and a slipper, great for climbing and getting bound down.

IMG_20210318_175254.thumb.jpg.36ddb6b88a9d2ce5c5e7bf8a9ea8395b.jpg
Looked like it might fit layed out, but due to the gear cover and the size, even mounted sideways the rear arms wouldnt have fit back on. 😞

Got my wheels to finally fit, as i use axial wheels i need special axial wheel hexes how annoying. Then the wheels rubbed against the steering arms so filed those down. Finally need very thin wheel nuts as I have 0 thread remaining.

IMG_20210319_205225.thumb.jpg.408165cd90b13044a53648c8b0303eeb.jpg
Getting big wheels for the outlaws has been a nightmare, wish i just spent the extra and got a set of ftx outlaw alloys would have been cheaper from the start.

IMG_20210319_205258.thumb.jpg.acc041765e12ed021c433332941e90f5.jpg

Picked up a set of battery bars, used them to stiffen up the rear, stiff as old boots but still got enough flex that things wont snap.

On 18/03/2021 at 18:32, froggy8 said:

ok, so apart from the obvious brushless esc and motor, what else is difference between the brushless and brushed version?

Do you mean on the stock outlaw or on the mods people are making here?

walkbytheseas brushed rig has a diffrent style transmission with a slipper that saves drive train parts.

The brushless ones do not have a slipper and have a bigger dp gearmesh for the higher power. (R1, R2, Eclipsed4ever)

5 minutes ago, Redback said:

Do you mean on the stock outlaw or on the mods people are making here?

walkbytheseas brushed rig has a diffrent style transmission with a slipper that saves drive train parts.

The brushless ones do not have a slipper and have a bigger dp gearmesh for the higher power. (R1, R2, Eclipsed4ever)

yes i was talking about stock, was thinking about getting the stock brushed and convert it.

25 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

yes i was talking about stock, was thinking about getting the stock brushed and convert it.

If your going brushless, its cheaper to get a brushed truck and get some decent brushless electrics for it, still works out about the same as the brushless truck, if thats not to your liking you always have this mod to make it crawl.

1 minute ago, Redback said:

If your going brushless, its cheaper to get a brushed truck and get some decent brushless electrics for it, still works out about the same as the brushless truck, if thats not to your liking you always have this mod to make it crawl.

yes that was my plan to save some pennies, and i could even get better brushless combo 2nd hand.

• Like 1

Indeed Max10stc and 1410 3800kv castle would work well in the stock truck also. Its a good combo all round.
For the mod depending on transmission choice i would opt for 4000kv+ depending on driving style. I run a 5700kv for example to get 35mph out of it not bad for a crawler 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redback said:

I tried to see if the element stealth x transmission would work, I wanted to try this ones because its got overdrive and a slipper, great for climbing and getting bound down.

IMG_20210318_175254.thumb.jpg.36ddb6b88a9d2ce5c5e7bf8a9ea8395b.jpg
Looked like it might fit layed out, but due to the gear cover and the size, even mounted sideways the rear arms wouldnt have fit back on. 😞

Will it fit if you angle it between the rear stays like I did with my clone-a-like ?

9 hours ago, Redback said:

If you’re starting completely from scratch though and don’t have them already  don’t forget to budget in a lipo battery, lipo charger and something to charge/store it in (lipo safe bag or metal ammo box etc), also a 23t pinion and motor mount. 

4 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Also a 23t pinion and motor mount. 

May i ask why? You dont need a 23t pinion, stock outlaw is 17t 0.6dp already geared way to high for the size of the truck you, will need a 18t 32dp if your going with the g1 transmission 23+ if your using sx10 style / another transmission with 48dp.

4 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

If you’re starting completely from scratch though and don’t have them already  don’t forget to budget in a lipo battery, lipo charger and something to charge/store it in (lipo safe bag or metal ammo box etc), also a 23t pinion and motor mount. 

i have got plenty 2s and 3s but no charger, when i get this rig then i will have to try find a decent dual charger too.

42 minutes ago, Redback said:

May i ask why? You dont need a 23t pinion, stock outlaw is 17t 0.6dp already geared way to high for the size of the truck you, will need a 18t 32dp if your going with the g1 transmission 23+ if your using sx10 style / another transmission with 48dp.

Maybe my mistake, I’ve not actually taken my brushless gearbox out yet but I thought the factory spec on the brushless car was 23t and brushed to brushless conversions I’ve seen have added the 23t pinion and motor mount - but that is the fast car. 

Obviously for actually crawling lower gearing is much better and I’d kind of forgotten which thread I was in...   😂

• 2 weeks later...

And so it begins...

DSC_0577.jpg

Just a mock up to see how the pinion fits and whether the FTX driveshaft connects to the clone gearbox outputs.

Unlikely to move much further for the moment as other projects take precedence.

Edited by Badcrumble
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

And so it begins...

https://www.tcphotos.net/images/2021/03/31/DSC_0577.jpg

Just a mock up to see how the pinion fits and whether the FTX driveshaft connects to the clone gearbox outputs.

Unlikely to move much further for the moment as other projects take precedence.

You’ve got a few bits missing...   🤣

1 minute ago, walkbythesea said:

You’ve got a few bits missing...   🤣

You're not wrong!

Alloy chassis, servo mounts, rear arm holders and brushed Outlaw not pictured! The ESC is the matching Max10 SCT thanks to @Redback for all the tips.

• Like 1

Really wanting some front over drive, i went back to seeing if i could mount the element enduro stealth x transmission in again.
Got it to fit in better this time, cut some metal to fabricate the mounts.
Positioned everything, seems to fit well, drive shafts are pretty inline. Floating motors going to put some force on the motor plate, hopefully the center brace will help keep the motor from bending the motor mount.

IMG_20210407_001535.thumb.jpg.0f6a9b3f44cb11186b299138d3ba9b91.jpg

Moved and cut the battery bar, limited battery room now, will be intresting issue to solve.

IMG_20210407_001413.thumb.jpg.dca53a79313e82832164174ed849a9ab.jpg

I want to flip the sevo around and move the mounts so it takes up less space, what a space hog.
Will also make fitting the R1 G1 transmission easier without having to work around the servo.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1