• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Newbie Help

werewolf_poo

Hi Guys,

I hope this thread is in the right place. Im 37 from Scotland. The Mrs has said I can have a Rc Motor or a drone for the old birthday. I've wanted to get back into RC cars since my youth. Had an old Clod Buster when I was younger. I built a £400 nitro car about a decade ago but couldnt get it to fire (I think it was the silly cheap glow start thing I boughts fault) and it sat in a box for years as I lost interest and life happened around me.

I really need advice though. Obviously its my birthday so I'm not getting a £1200 drone/car but I need advice on what a good starter Rc car or drone would be. I want it to be fixable/upgradable, I like to tinker with things and upgrade so it must be a manufacturer that has mid tier stuff thats decent. I always look  up RC cars from time to time and I really wanted a traxxas car at one point as it was fully waterproof and uber fast.  I know I'm a total noob and most likely sound cringe but ......what are my options?

I am leaning towards an Rc car that is electric as I think it will be easier for me to get back into. I want something thats faster than my dogs (I have 3 lurchers that can pass 30mph) and is possibly waterproof.  Am I asking for too much for a circa £300-400 product?  I have no idea.

Any help will be appreciated. I hope that I am in the right place and that all made sense. I just need to be able to pass over possible models to the mrs, thanks

55 minutes ago, werewolf_poo said:

Hi Guys,

I hope this thread is in the right place. Im 37 from Scotland. The Mrs has said I can have a Rc Motor or a drone for the old birthday. I've wanted to get back into RC cars since my youth. Had an old Clod Buster when I was younger. I built a £400 nitro car about a decade ago but couldnt get it to fire (I think it was the silly cheap glow start thing I boughts fault) and it sat in a box for years as I lost interest and life happened around me.

I really need advice though. Obviously its my birthday so I'm not getting a £1200 drone/car but I need advice on what a good starter Rc car or drone would be. I want it to be fixable/upgradable, I like to tinker with things and upgrade so it must be a manufacturer that has mid tier stuff thats decent. I always look  up RC cars from time to time and I really wanted a traxxas car at one point as it was fully waterproof and uber fast.  I know I'm a total noob and most likely sound cringe but ......what are my options?

I am leaning towards an Rc car that is electric as I think it will be easier for me to get back into. I want something thats faster than my dogs (I have 3 lurchers that can pass 30mph) and is possibly waterproof.  Am I asking for too much for a circa £300-400 product?  I have no idea.

Any help will be appreciated. I hope that I am in the right place and that all made sense. I just need to be able to pass over possible models to the mrs, thanks

Hi fellow scout 😊 welcome to this sight which iv only been on for few months and realy impressed with how helpful folk are it's great! I'm 34 and was in same position as you few months ago apart from I had already got a car that I asked wife for my bday lol. I was always a tamiya man, raced as a teenager and getting bk in2 RC cars now at 34.still have all my old stuff. Anyway, I have a tamiya neo scorcher buggy which I got and basicly slowly over period of few months have been upgrading it and now its a good bit of kit. Jst bk doing alot of online digging, watching others on YouTube and asking folk on here 👍 rc cars have came a long way since my teens I will tell u that 🤣🤣 can get them so quick nowadays running brushless motors, lipo battery's ect...  Ur on the right forum/website for advice 👍

If you want something faster than your lurchers you're presumably gonna run it on grass?

Then you'll want an off road buggy or truggy.

1/8th Scale in your price bracket would be a Hobao Hyper VS for £325 or it comes as a roller for £170. Then you gotta add batteries too.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobao-hyper-vs-1-8-rtr-brushless-buggy-red/rc-car-products/396615

Sent from my MIX2 using Tapatalk

If your budget can stretch to a Kraton 6s it's a great truck in stock form,.plenty of speed and its tough. Can use it on road and off, jumps and all sorts.

If you run it stock pinion on 6s your dogs will have no chance ;)

What is the Nitro car you had that you could never get running?  Depending on what it is, a Brushless conversion could leave you with a MUCH better car for your money than buying a whole new car...

Though,  might be worth seeing if you could get it running with some help from here,   probably would not cost too much and even then if Nitro is a complete bust still have plenty left over in your budget for a solid brushless conversion.

Edited by GorillaZilla
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2020 at 00:23, Logie said:

If your budget can stretch to a Kraton 6s it's a great truck in stock form,.plenty of speed and its tough. Can use it on road and off, jumps and all sorts.

If you run it stock pinion on 6s your dogs will have no chance ;)

I have been doing a lot of reading and watching YouTube videos and would absolutely love a 6s kraton. Now I know what that means. Lol. 

I was watching the English boys YouTube channel who's name I have forgotten..... His video from Feb says the Arrma Kraton 4s was the best all rounder for beginners. I like the Arrma stuff as it seems to be quite a reliable brand and quite tough. But I was reliably informed today by modelsport that they have discontinued the 4s kraton. Is that true? . I was originally looking at the 4s outcast as well but can't find that anywhere

On 01/08/2020 at 01:00, GorillaZilla said:

What is the Nitro car you had that you could never get running?  Depending on what it is, a Brushless conversion could leave you with a MUCH better car for your money than buying a whole new car...

Though,  might be worth seeing if you could get it running with some help from here,   probably would not cost too much and even then if Nitro is a complete bust still have plenty left over in your budget for a solid brushless conversion.

I never ever got it running but I have a full boxfull of magazines and spare parts. As you can see I got as far as putting petrol in then wasn't successful so prob forgot all about it. 

Is there any way of saving it? Or is it even worth saving? 

IMG_20200810_201448.jpg

IMG_20200810_201504.jpg

IMG_20200810_201508.jpg

On 30/07/2020 at 22:07, Richbogle said:

Hi fellow scout 😊 welcome to this sight which iv only been on for few months and realy impressed with how helpful folk are it's great! I'm 34 and was in same position as you few months ago apart from I had already got a car that I asked wife for my bday lol. I was always a tamiya man, raced as a teenager and getting bk in2 RC cars now at 34.still have all my old stuff. Anyway, I have a tamiya neo scorcher buggy which I got and basicly slowly over period of few months have been upgrading it and now its a good bit of kit. Jst bk doing alot of online digging, watching others on YouTube and asking folk on here 👍 rc cars have came a long way since my teens I will tell u that 🤣🤣 can get them so quick nowadays running brushless motors, lipo battery's ect...  Ur on the right forum/website for advice 👍

Hello sir. Whereabouts do you hail from? 

I'm out Edinburgh (ish) way. I would love to get involved in a club but I wouldn't even know where to start or if there is even such a thing. Always loved Rc but never had like minded friends to really take advantage of the fun. If that makes sense.  Would be great fun to race

• Like 1

I never ever got it running but I have a full boxfull of magazines and spare parts. As you can see I got as far as putting petrol in then wasn't successful so prob forgot all about it. 

Is there any way of saving it? Or is it even worth saving? 
IMG_20200810_201448.thumb.jpg.6684856293c83ca00ed56a82e3481d7d.jpg
IMG_20200810_201504.thumb.jpg.28f530080894c9b233f52434cf79c24b.jpg
IMG_20200810_201508.thumb.jpg.4c6d9127f8d030d751e77945fde6157b.jpg

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

that looks a lot like our first ever nitro, did it come with a ford focus rally shell?  :D

not used my nitros for years, does the fly wheel on the engine turn by hand? if it does check the the glow plug that is in it works.

for recomendations the hobao hyper vse is a awesome buggy but the price really goes up when have to add in batteries and charger, for some thing nuts and cheaper have a look at this https://www.modelsport.co.uk/corally-triton-xp-2wd-monster-truck-1-10-bushless-rtr/rc-car-products/444072

dad has that one and i have the brushed one which i chucked a old brushless system into, the brushless one i linked is insane on 2s batteries and it is very hard to get the front wheels to stay on the ground.... lol

the triton also requires a battery and charger but a lot cheaper overall  :)

were in scotland too  :D

Edited by Yrkoon

1 hour ago, Yrkoon said:

that looks a lot like our first ever nitro, did it come with a ford focus rally shell?  :D

not used my nitros for years, does the fly wheel on the engine turn by hand? if it does check the the glow plug that is in it works.

for recomendations the hobao hyper vse is a awesome buggy but the price really goes up when have to add in batteries and charger, for some thing nuts and cheaper have a look at this https://www.modelsport.co.uk/corally-triton-xp-2wd-monster-truck-1-10-bushless-rtr/rc-car-products/444072

dad has that one and i have the brushed one which i chucked a old brushless system into, the brushless one i linked is insane on 2s batteries and it is very hard to get the front wheels to stay on the ground.... lol

the triton also requires a battery and charger but a lot cheaper overall  :)

were in scotland too  :D

1 hour ago, Yrkoon said:

You are just doon the road Queensferry I see. Thanks for the info. I've only really been reading up on traxxas and arrma stuff. You are the second one to recommend that buggy. Looks like a good shout. Had my heart set on a kraton 4s but apparently they are discontinued 

No it had a vauxhall astra shell which I got all painted and stickered up. Had no idea what I was doing so when I went to wonderland and bought a starter set and it didn't work. I got dishearten and left it. It was from one of those hatchette book things where u get a piece a fortnight. At a ridiculous price 

Is there such a thing as an Rc club round our way? 

Edited by werewolf_poo
  • Like 1

not really into the club scene im autisic (found out last year) and socially awkward but years ago we used to meet up with other scottish guys and just bash our models about and have a laugh  :D

Edited by Yrkoon

16 hours ago, werewolf_poo said:

You are just doon the road Queensferry I see. Thanks for the info. I've only really been reading up on traxxas and arrma stuff. You are the second one to recommend that buggy. Looks like a good shout. Had my heart set on a kraton 4s but apparently they are discontinued 

No it had a vauxhall astra shell which I got all painted and stickered up. Had no idea what I was doing so when I went to wonderland and bought a starter set and it didn't work. I got dishearten and left it. It was from one of those hatchette book things where u get a piece a fortnight. At a ridiculous price 

Is there such a thing as an Rc club round our way? 

Where are you about ?

Im not keen on Wonderland either i used to prefer Marrionville models when they were at Maybury fore they moved to Livingstone