• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Torro Thread

Given how popular these are, I thought I'd start this to see who on the forum has one and to hear your thoughts? I bought one as a cheap lockdown toy and right out of the box, they're impressive. The little Force engine is solid and has plenty of power. Things to note and to upgrade early on. Save yourself the hassle and order the Fastrax dual-stage air filter straight away. I ran the stock filter in a dusty environment and it let a load of muck into the carb. Fortunately I noticed it very early on and stopped running. Other things to note, the tyres are made from cottage cheese, lasted a handful of outings before the inner foams disintegrated and the tyres started to tear, upgrade to the alloy front plate, the plastic one will only survive the lightest of knocks. When you're ordering, add a few spares in too as they're so cheap! Arms, shock shafts, steering knuckles and so on. I haven't broken anything other than the plastic front plate but have since added the alloy chassis braces, new wheels and I changed the body (it's an HPI shell but Wheelspin had it on clearance).

Overall, it's a great little car, love thrashing it around!

E9CB9FAA-E993-4487-BAD2-A18D2078F7E8.jpeg

Edited by willb
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

Hold on wait a minute aren’t these now having to be renamed the zorro due to a copy right infringement? 

Couldn’t tell ya mate ,It’s called a Zorro online but my box,manual and decals say Torro 😂

On 03/09/2020 at 19:14, tomr said:

I’m in with a Brushless Torro 👍

495C4E82-A71C-4F99-9A9E-8A5F83EB17EC.thumb.jpeg.01d153607c04cb414aba49d4d29fa460.jpeg

28EDCEB6-9E03-4D33-8F1A-51EE851610FA.thumb.jpeg.ef698f52bceaafdfd8b81cd31e404534.jpeg

Am i right in saying this is a brushless outlaw with an SCT shell, maybe not a bad thing, the wifes brushed outlaw has been pretty good, great suspension and rather nice tyres for a budget truck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

Am i right in saying this is a brushless outlaw with an SCT shell, maybe not a bad thing, the wifes brushed outlaw has been pretty good, great suspension and rather nice tyres for a budget truck

Yeah pretty much ,It actually handles real nice .I’ve got a bit of a thing going  on for solid rear axle rc’s at the min .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Repairing some minor damage so whilst the diff was out, I thought I'd have a look inside... It looks like a korma disagreed with somebody and ended up in my diff 🤣 Cleaned out, fresh high quality grease used and I have filled the diff with some 6000W diff oil. Haven't put it back together yet as I want to see if the diff oil escapes as there isn't a gasket. Will do the same to the front this week too.

F06B78EF-FB83-4BB4-8131-134D03DB26F3_1_105_c.jpeg

F931030B-55F2-4798-BA79-6722F88BECFF_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by willb

It stinks too. I never had an issue with the grease though to be honest. I see they are still persisting with that crown gear/gearbox set up 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Nickarla

• 3 months later...

I had to swap the spur gear on my carnage and when I taken the back section off I looked in side the cogs and this gunk was in there it was like  WTF would anyone use peanut butter to lube gear/cogs  .its like somone I know infix my gear /cogs to   let's get everything I need ready       o I dont have any grease mmmmmmmm what can i use instead .  Lard naa  ..ky jelly   nope only small bit left an it's my birthday ... toothpaste  nope to rough    .  Chip pan fat . Dam oven chips .  Aaaaaa peanut butter  perfect .    

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

Ye I've got a Zorro. 

Had it a few weeks. The original brushed motor died after a few runs but I got sent a new 1 free of charge. Which was frustrating, but it arrived within 2 days. Then 1 of the front shocks decided to come loose and dumped the entire oil contents all over itself! So I had to get some shock oil to refill it, which I've done, also checking the tightness of the others. 

Seeing as the brushed motor died quickly, I thought I'd go Brushless. I tried to do a brushless upgrade using a cheap Amazon Hobbyfans BL Motor and ESC. I couldn't get it to work properly, tried a different NIMH battery, tried a programme card but it just wouldn't run so I returned it. 

Spoke to the place I had the truck from and they recommended an Absima Thrust BL upgrade kit, which I've put on but it's not happy. Stutters terrible and sometimes fails to move at all. I am still running Nimh batteries rather than Lipo. I've ordered a 17t motor mount and a 17t pinion gear to try and cure it. I think I need to program the low voltage cut off down or off completely, the LED on the ESC for throttle won't come on when it stops, which I think is low voltage cut off unless someone else knows for sure? Also, would increasing the punch improve the stuttering? 

Thanks. 

The zoro is an outlaw with smaller wheels.
Volt up gear down. I'd personally return the absima if its cogging, the esc is pretty low amp and underpowered for the size of the truck.
Min spec for an outlaw imo is a 60amp esc, whilst at it always worth getting and programming card + couple of lipos.
Yes increasing the punch will help but not from standing starts on grass or a hill for example, feathering the throttle might help more.

Edited by Redback

It's on grass in the garden that it's worst. It seems to run brilliantly, then it slows down. Then stops. I can't get it going again unless I switch the esc off and back on. Then it stutters and the process repeats. repeats. 

I'll try the new pinion gear and motor mount, but I'll contact time tunnel models if it still plays up. 

I'll have a look in to lipo. Would anyone strongly recommend NOT buying used batteries and a charger or are they generally ok? 

37 minutes ago, Arran said:

It's on grass in the garden that it's worst. It seems to run brilliantly, then it slows down. Then stops. I can't get it going again unless I switch the esc off and back on. Then it stutters and the process repeats. repeats. 

I'll try the new pinion gear and motor mount, but I'll contact time tunnel models if it still plays up. 

I'll have a look in to lipo. Would anyone strongly recommend NOT buying used batteries and a charger or are they generally ok? 

I think you will be ok with a decent 2s and 3s lipo packs 4000mha + You might not need to gear down and its going to be better long term on lipo for power and run times.
I used to run NIMH in my outlaw and would not reccommend using NIMH on brushless.
You might be safe buying 2nd hand lipos, just ensure your getting lipos that have been stored at the correct volts (3.8v storage) and have a picture of the cell volts to make sure they are healthly balanced.
A decent charger is worth the investment also can usally get a decent one 2nd hand.
Worth getting a battery doctor / checker also for easier battery managment.

Edited by Redback
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, RoyCropper said:

Hi, 

what tyres would everyone recommend for the torro? My nitro tyres are so soft it loses traction all the time

tia

Iv just stripped my zorro tyres off the wheels as the inserts are rubbish I mean rubbish as I opened up two them and mud/gravel fell out   no sponge insert at all .the other two parts sludge and fome . 

As they gone so soft I cracked two of my wheels as on the side rims there split . 

Tying to find inserts to fit now