• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stimpys Ventru S AR60 Sporty

stimpy

• 3 months later...

‘Ello ‘Ello.... Been a while.... So this one sat still for a bit!... 

You shall have to forgive a Slight lack of cohesion on this post as i forgot to take a few of the necessary pics..

Finally got my replacement shock bodies and built the buggers up.... All felt good now 👍

spacer.png

spacer.png

had hung the motor in also and set the gear mesh... 

Next, I started to look at the sparks.... Had a Holmes Hobbies BR Mini, Castle BEC  and a Holmes Puller Crawl 400 16t - mmmm 🥰.

spacer.png

First looked at mounting here so I could then place the battery behind the servo....

But without altering the front link lengths which I didn’t want to do due to the design of this rig that wasn’t gonna work.... 

So smashed the electrics together next..

spacer.png

Also applied 2 coats of conformal coating.

spacer.png

That’s how we like it! Just the BEC wire to shorten...

Modded a Holmes BEC link

spacer.png

And got it layed out to wrap up...

spacer.png

A few pics missing sadly but next I turned to electrics position behind the servo...

spacer.png

Chassis upside down and testing for clearance...

spacer.png
All good there so Will go with that 👍

Next I turned my attention to a battery mount..

spacer.png

spacer.png

That’ll do nicely!!.. 

Next I messed about with springs some...

spacer.png

Shocking!

But of course you all knew which springs I’d be using on the front...

spacer.png

The pink ones!!! ( Actually , only because they felt best 😎).

Now my replacement spools had Finally arrived I could build the axles proper... Sadly it seems I didn’t take any pics of that, but the front axle had an Overdrive Ring and pinion and the rear an underdrive. I also modded my UJs for more steering...

Oooh!!

spacer.png

spacer.png

You will remember that I also left out that Front axle tube end bearing to help give the UJ a wee bit more movement!... 

Now I had a good 70 degrees plus steering that was driven with no notchiness  👍.

Then I had a look at the rear driveline... Due to the insane design this runs a 2 part prop line that keeps the prop out of the way and also recorrects the driveline.. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Laverly!! 

I had also sorted the front prop. I say that, but actually it was impeding suspension travel a bit so I was gonna have to revisit that.... 

At that stage I connected a battery and had a tentative first drive in the garage.... 

spacer.png
*Just realised no battery here! So must have forgot to take a pic! Poser shot only then!!..*

Good to see it live!! But a few issues evident... One being that it ran backwards despite me checking it all!! 🙈  Evidently my motor must have come with the wrong rotation - I assumed normal which is counter clockwise on motors.... Ah wells.... 

And then came along a direct feed servo!

spacer.png

An NSDRC unit - will post the specs later - but this will allow me to ditch the BEC which will reduce the electrics size and give less liability also. So I had to then take all the electrics apart at that stage and do a bit of soldering, I also corrected the reversed motor at the same time... No pics sadly.... 

Thats all for now Kids 👍

Keep on RCing!!!! 

Edited by stimpy
  • Like 3

Thanks lads!... Just booking a courier @DartmoorTrails 👍😂

Its certainly an interesting rig and I’m keen to try it proper!... 

Ive already cleared a line not previously made on my EXTREME garage to stair course! 😂😂 But yes only due to the belly clearance. 

The issue with long high clearance rear links is generally stability so that will be what I’ll need to work on. They also don’t generally suck down as well as regular chassis apparently so I’ll trying to run mine as soft as possible till it gets funky... 

Im pretty sure I still need to lengthen the rear uppers but for now I will leave it till I drive it as I just don’t know what it’s going to do. Added to which the front end is sooooo aggressive I wonder if that will allow me to run less rear axle squat.... 

Only time will tell!! 👍

(oh! And of course you’ll be driving it Andy!). ( And the XR/ Bully Barsteward!). 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

@stimpy @DartmoorTrails

Guys

Would you mind sharing the Shapeways parts needed for AR60 axles for the  2.2 chassis please....I’m confused?

Also struggling a bit with what to order for the gearbox internals?

This is a steep (vertical) learning curve

Thanks in anticipation...

On 30/11/2020 at 07:32, Paulnb57 said:

@stimpy @DartmoorTrails

Guys

Would you mind sharing the Shapeways parts needed for AR60 axles for the  2.2 chassis please....I’m confused?

Also struggling a bit with what to order for the gearbox internals?

This is a steep (vertical) learning curve

Thanks in anticipation...

You're probably safest messaging him via fbook @Paulnb57https://www.facebook.com/ventru.crawler.parts/

I'd be dead nervous scouring shapeways for something that looks right!

• 2 months later...

No worries Stimpy, I made contact with Pat, we discussed spec, agreed he would make me up a shafty “kit”, incredibly difficult to deal with, after a couple of months I got bored and gave up....

5 minutes ago, Paulnb57 said:

No worries Stimpy, I made contact with Pat, we discussed spec, agreed he would make me up a shafty “kit”, incredibly difficult to deal with, after a couple of months I got bored and gave up....

What a shame man... He is definitely tricky but I get the feeling he has been struggling with work volume and life. Poor bloke couldn't see his kids for 3 or 4 months in the first lockdown.... 

I also found out quite quickly that you cannot get him to provide a full kit reliably, get the chassis kit then the rest from Shapeways.... He does the tungsten weights and a few other bits when in stock.,...

• 7 months later...

Hey up folks!!! 

Been a long time..... 

Had run into a couple tuning issues on this one and only driven it locally at home to which  it proved it was very capable!... 

That is until today!... Finally got it out on some ‘Heaven’ high traction funky rock 🤓

In the usual way I had too much fun driving and forgot pics! But here’s a couple:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This thing is IN - CREDIBLE!!! Just so so capable 👍

Even my mate Al who hates Sporties fell for this one and will ordering up a kit! 😂😂👍

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A Close Shave!!! 

So been looking at this mod for a while.... Basically you cut the bottom of the diff section off the axle and replace it with a 3D printed part that allows way more clearance than standard and is designed to be nice and slidy!!!

Here’s the new diff cover - The Barber - By Progressive RC

spacer.png

Oops!

spacer.png

spacer.png

A bit of tweaking bit by bit and we get here 👍

spacer.png

Very nice!!

And here’s how we’re looking  now 😎

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cant wait to get out and try them! Certainly be less hang ups 👍

Oh, you may also notice I’m now running Pins on the rear. This was to tame the rear a little as I was finding it still had a little too much grip on the super grippy rocks I was at the other weekend.... 

Ta folks! 

Edited by stimpy
  • Like 1

Freakin’ Props!!!

So some may remember I run SDi propshafts. I love them, they are super skinny and very minimalist.... Sadly they’ve not been available for aeons and now seem to be breaking some 🙈🤬💩

spacer.png

Uh oh!!! 

Not being able to get replacement parts for ages made me have a look around.... I found some UJs from China that measured up good on paper so I ordered up a few.... 

Unfortunately when they arrived I noticed that one of the UJ pins was held in with a circlip! 💩💩💩

spacer.png

That was never gonna stay on there long!.. At first I thought perhaps I’ll throw some epoxy over it... Nah!!!... Get Willy out!!! You remember? Willy the welder!!! 

So I took the circlip off and gave it a blat!!!

spacer.png

A wee bit of filing later and this was

much betterer!!! 

spacer.png

And back together ready for action!!!

And before you all wonder.... Here’s an obligatory perv shot of the rig ❤️👍

spacer.png

Sho Shexy!!! ❤️❤️

Keep On RC’ing folks!! 

Edited by stimpy
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 21:48, stimpy said:

Freakin’ Props!!!

So some may remember I run SDi propshafts. I love them, they are super skinny and very minimalist.... Sadly they’ve not been available for aeons and now seem to be breaking some 🙈🤬💩

spacer.png

Uh oh!!! 

Not being able to get replacement parts for ages made me have a look around.... I found some UJs from China that measured up good on paper so I ordered up a few.... 

Unfortunately when they arrived I noticed that one of the UJ pins was held in with a circlip! 💩💩💩

spacer.png

That was never gonna stay on there long!.. At first I thought perhaps I’ll throw some epoxy over it... Nah!!!... Get Willy out!!! You remember? Willy the welder!!! 

So I took the circlip off and gave it a blat!!!

spacer.png

A wee bit of filing later and this was

much betterer!!! 

spacer.png

And back together ready for action!!!

And before you all wonder.... Here’s an obligatory perv shot of the rig ❤️👍

spacer.png

Sho Shexy!!! ❤️❤️

Keep On RC’ing folks!! 

hey, i was just wondering how much would it cost to buy something similar to this?

cheers

21 minutes ago, stimpy said:

The whole rig (a fair amount) or the driveshaft parts?. 

the whole rig bud.

i like cars like this, i am looking for one that is like a yeti xl and a savage, reasonably big with big wheels and bit of a monster 😄 

19 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

the whole rig bud.

i like cars like this, i am looking for one that is like a yeti xl and a savage, reasonably big with big wheels and bit of a monster 😄 

So for reference it is nothing like a savage or yeti! And probably weighs about a quarter of either of them if not less!... (1.5/1.6 kg max)

They are designed specifically for rock crawling at slower more precise speeds. They'd break if you rock raced them....

However , if you fancy rock crawling then they are the best rigs period... With regards costs it of course depends on how you build them up.. For example:

1. The chassis and links - iirc they were around €150/200.

2. Then you need AR60 axles £50/£100

3. Then Overdrive front Ring and Pinion and under drive rear sets £60 ish new 

4. Shapeway parts for axles and gearbox €200 ?

5. Gearbox gears from Pat €50? You could of course run a cheap axial 3 gear transmission - £20 for a china version..

6. Motor, Esc, Servo, RX - Spend what you like here! But ideally we want something light for the motor - Mine is a Holmes Hobby Crawlmaster Puller 400.

7. Wheels and tyres - Most common to find in the UK will be Proline Ibex or HPi white dot rovers.

So really it depends on what you have and what you wanna use but I'd guess at best it'd be around £500. Using even more bespoke parts you'd be around or above £1k. Cheapest way in is probably buying second hand - though you are unlikely to find many Ventrus but others do pop up on FB.

Hope that helps some.  

Edited by stimpy
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stimpy said:

So for reference it is nothing like a savage or yeti! And probably weighs about a quarter of either of them if not less!...

They are designed specifically for rock crawling at slower more precise speeds. They'd break if you rock raced them....

However , if you fancy rock crawling then they are the best rigs period... With regards costs it of course depends on how you build them up.. For example:

1. The chassis and links - iirc they were around €150/200.

2. Then you need AR60 axles £50/£100

3. Then Overdrive front Ring and Pinion and under drive rear sets £60 ish new 

4. Shapeway parts for axles and gearbox €200 ?

5. Gearbox gears from Pat €50? You could of course run a cheap axial 3 gear transmission - £20 for a china version..

6. Motor, Esc, Servo, RX - Spend what you like here! But ideally we want something light for the motor - Mine is a Holmes Hobby Crawlmaster Puller 400.

7. Wheels and tyres - Most common to find in the UK will be Proline Ibex or HPi white dot rovers.

So really it depends on what you have and what you wanna use but I'd guess at best it'd be around £500. Using even more bespoke parts you'd be around or above £1k. Cheapest way in is probably buying second hand - though you are unlikely to find many Ventrus but others do pop up on FB.

Hope that helps some.  

many thanks for that stimpy 🙂 

that is not a bad price at all, i was expecting bit over a grand so thats a bonus.

will look into it when i get a minute, cheers again for the advice and price up 🙂 

1 minute ago, froggy8 said:

many thanks for that stimpy 🙂 

that is not a bad price at all, i was expecting bit over a grand so thats a bonus.

will look into it when i get a minute, cheers again for the advice and price up 🙂 

No worries mate, pm me if you want a chat sometime or other queries... 

Pat himself is quite hard to get hold of and takes a while but I have his mobile now 😈so can sort that for you should you decide to go that way...

You may also want to look into MOA rock crawlers - basically independent motors and controls front and rear. These come up more often for sale ( And infact an iteration of my XR10 build on here will be for sale shortly if of interest) . I need to post up my latest build on here too - Pats Ventru Pro MOA rig I've been building 😍

• Like 1