• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Understanding manufacturer oils

Bushmonkey

Hi all. I'm looking at grabbing the oils I need to build my new car. In my manual (kyosho) its recommends shock oil #450 which takes me to 450wt oil and #7000 diff which just says sil7000.

Is the 450wt actually 450wt or 45wt???

I've read a graph about how losi have their own ways sometimes, my traxxas is simple wt 

It's a 1/7 scale 2wd buggy

Need to get them ordered today ready for the weekend. Thanks in advance guys

The viscosity between brands is slightly different so a direct comparison is not correct, but close enough. 

There also is not direct comparison between WT (45wt) and Cst (450cst). They're different ways of measuring the viscosity. 

Generally, you'd choose a brand and run that and just use their fluids so you can say 450cst was too thin, I'll try 550cst of the same brand for slower dampening. 

Associated shock and diff fluid has both measurements on the bottles for reference. 

AE shock fluid: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9980&SubCategoryID=998020&ManufacturerID=2&CategoryID=9980

AE diff fluid: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?CategoryID=9980&SubCategoryID=998025&ManufacturerID=2&CategoryID=9980

Edited by Derka
  • Thanks 1

Cheers @Derka. in your opinion, which oil would be somthing in the middle?? This is the 1st time I've built a car from scratch.

Just looking to get it running, I'm happy to change oil later, but need middle reference if that makes sense. For diff and shocks

On a 2wd buggy, I'd keep it soft. Start with 45wt at the rear, maybe slightly higher up front. Then work from there. 

I started with wt, so that's all I know. 

• Like 1