• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

No low end power

JustMatt

Hello 

I've tried to upgrade my son's car to a cheap brushless motor with 3s lipo. 

Everything has fitted fine. It's amazing quick to the point I have adjusted the top end acceleration via the controller to slow it down a bit. 

From the off we have found there is no low end acceleration particularly on slopes or grass to the point you have to give it s little push. It's as if there is no power at the start. It sort of judders trying to move. Once moving it's amazing. 

I don't understand the issue and would appreciate some guidance if at all possible? 

I have also purchased a programming board but it doesn't seem to do anything to adjust any settings. The working state light just flashes. 

I have noticed the motor wires getting very hot to the point you can't touch them too. 

I don't know what to do. 

Thanks

Matt

Screenshot_20200624-211054_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20200624-211121_eBay.jpg

i dont know problem your saying but i would advise not using it till you get to bottom of it

hopefully someone more versed in electric power will help you out 

hot wires is a sign of high load 

That sounds to me like a phenomenon called "cogging". When the gearing is wrong for the motor and the car cant pull away smoothly, like trying to pull away in 4th gear in a 1:1. Did you change the gearing when you added the brushless setup? the fact the motor wires are getting hot would support this as well. Try dropping a few teeth on the pinion, or i would suggest getting a few pinions so you can see which gives the best result. Too many teeth and the car will be slow, too many and youll get cogging again. Hope this helps; NB.

• Like 1

I haven't done anything with gears yet. I will buy some and see. Thanks

It is a bit like trying to pull off in forth TBH. Sounds like you might of hit it on the head. 

The RC is a cheap Maverick Strada MT with stock gears. 

Will let you know.

• Like 2

Ide say it's the finned can motor they're not very strong motors its just a 380 sized motor in dress up to 540 size. What rc is it fitted too? Those motors are usually acceptable in tamiya type rcs. 

Lower kv motors have the torque or off the line speed plus top end with gearing. But high kv motors are mostly about top end in light rcs. 

If it's a 1/10 4x4 off road ide say it's the motor struggling. 

i had the same issue when i fitted a cheap goolrc 60a system to my Arrma Granite as a quick and cheap brushless conversion.

The granite was too heavy and demanded to much from the low powered system and caused cogging as described above.

In the end i went for a hobbywing system to stop all the cogging issues the 120a Max10 SCT in fact and all my issues have gone but i appreciate they cost almost the same as a brand new strada mt so it may not be ideal for you!

Best thing to do would be gear down and see what happens see if it eases up if not then the 4x4 and weight of the strada may just be too much. 

Here's a vid i did covering the same issue you have with yours! At 2:24 is this the issue you are talking about?

I have the same issue with the same bits. I run the motor in an absima ab3.4.
Mine eases the power on instead of just giving me everything all at once. I think it's the start mode that can be programmed into it. It's a bit soft.
I also bought a program card and it too flashes the work light and doesn't actually change anything.

I think it needs a different card.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

With the goolrc systems it's difficult to tell if the issue lies with the electronics or not. Half the time these escs won't work properly. It does sound like a gearing issue though.

I'd be careful running that system on 3s. The 60amp escs are known to melt under that much voltage.

Edited by fnknan