• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Sim racing on console? For fun.

RCbutcher

My handbrake is on/off
For dirt is good as U press it just for seconds to spin the car
Asetto corsa comp don't use it at all
Cost me £29 for real car handbrake and diy keyboard and button to get it work as other keyboard
So when i press it is Z on keyboard :)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'll be honest here, while the G29 is certainly a decent wheel, the pedals are just crap. 

Bit of stamina and you can snipe yourself a decent set of fanatec pedals with loadcell. Not even comparable in pedal feel. I got my Fanatec Clubsports seen in the picture for £60 from a marketplace in a simracing forum, easily hands down the best upgrade to my simracing stuff that i've had. After that i'd check for T3PA pedals by thrustmaster, also loadcell (but more plastic-y), can also be had for reasonable money.

Gears vs belts, servo wheels, handbrakes, TH8A vs G29 shifter - all doesn't matter if your pedals feel like toys. Hell, my brake pedal vibrates when ABS is active. 

Regardless of what you buy, where you buy it - a loadcell is the single most important upgrade you can do to get "more immersive". At least to someone who's driven a real car before. 
What forum U on?

25 minutes ago, mision81 said:

What forum U on?

Inside Simracing / isrtv.com. 

Not active anymore in simracing stuff (pretty much ever since i got deeper into RC), but i'd argue it's still one of the best forums around for the topic. 

edit: not active anymore apart from watching Jimmy Broadbent and Super GT on youtube, i should say.

Edited by m4inbrain

Seat wise, This looks good value at £150

spacer.png

As others have said, The prices do go up and down, I don't think there is any price gouging, It's just how it's always been, One minute the G29 is 150, The next day it's 300, And it's worse in the present climate.

You can't go wrong with the G27, G29 line of wheel as a starter, Some good deals can be had on eBay, Someone has a full G27 setup with stand and seat for £250 if your near Flitwick, Which is a good price, And they are just bullet proof.

You say your use the the clutch, But you won't, Not much anyway, The peddles are not a bad feel, Just uncomfortable, Until you invert them, After which they become a completely different set of pedals.

spacer.png 

Does a wheel make a difference, Ho yes, It's a slippery slop to get on, If you like to make stuff and tinker.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

And my janky hand brake a sequential shifter, But the shifter works brilliantly, For Rallycross which I play the most, I wouldn't be without it.(Pictures come out a bit noisy).

spacer.png  

And if you play on PC, You have to get SimHub, Best £4.50 your ever spend, Wind simulator for me next, Think I've done everything else.

• Like 1

It's all about space for me which rules out real seats the playseat is all I can do for an all in one. I prefer that idea too otherwise it will be either sitting on a poof or bolt upright kitchen chair lol. 

So can you mix and match fanatec pedal with thrustmaster wheels etc. Or logitech wheels. 

Ide like to stay as far below £500 as possible whilst still having a good set hence watching for used deals I don't mind used at all lol. 

Also turns out crew2 might support wheels. Not planes but street driving mayb the beat ps4 has. I love drifting the streets on that game. If only crew2 had police too would have been that much better. 

You can mix and match sometimes, But it starts to concern adapters and the such, Just stay away from that idea, Really not worth it, As wheels go, There isn't the same amount of choice in a given price range as there is with RC.

If your 500 quid is all in then your really in the land of Logitech or a second hand Thrustmaster, The thing with Thrustmaster is they don't have the greatest rep on the reliability front, I would just look at getting a G29, And look on CEX every now and then as they come with a 2 year warranty on there stuff, There solid and proven, And hold there money so easy to sell on if you get into it and fancy an upgrade.

Thing is, Your looking at just the wrong time, Everyone was at home, A wheel is just the sort of think to while away the hours, Which is why we see the prices we do THIS is an idea of what has been out there deal wise.

Thrustmaster wheels aren't more or less reliable than the G29. Just google "g29 problems", plenty of people having issues there too. 

It's true that thrustmaster wheels have an inherent problem, which is that in very long sessions, they can overheat. Put a fan on top, sorted. I should know having driven multiple 12h and 24h races in iRacing, it does the trick. 5 years, not a single problem. 

Something else to consider (and ultimately why i chose to replace my logitech stuff apart from my mouse) is the software, which is just absolutely awful. Maybe not as bad as Razer software, but up there. Shown by the fact that Project Cars 2 literally broke the wheel temporarily until you went deep into the registry to fix it. On the upside: logitech usually is very happy to just replace faulty stuff, my wifes old G903 had to be replaced multiple times and Logitech didn't complain, though we obviously would've preferred a working headset from the start - they did right by us eventually. I have no experience with TM customer support. That's only if you buy new though, of course.

Played racing games all my life, if your on console stick with forza or gran turismo for realism. Although they feel different.  If you wanna race online with serious players go granturismo, I cant tell you how many times mardy forza drivers ram you off the road, and as for 1st corner madness, forza is basicly destruction derby lol. Granturismo has a "Sportsmanship" rating as well as driver rating so if you race clean, you will mostly be paired with people who race clean.

For feel, forza feels grippy and spongy and gran turismo feels stiff and understeery. You will adjust though and get used to it

Have used a G29 before and it's fine, dont worry too much about super expensive wheels just yet. 

On Granturismo main advantages of wheel users btw is tyre wear, it's amazing how much smoother you can turn and save your tyres. On a 20 lap race, you could just hold back abit then dominate in last few laps or save tyres and avoid that extra pit. 

Good luck

Just a note on a couple of the above posts - G27 wont work on a PS4 without a drivehub (or similar), likewise the G920 is the xbox version of the G29 and also won't work on a PS4 without a converter. So if you find a cheap one, you'll just have to fator in the extra cost. Would be worth reading up as well, just to make sure it'll all work.

Hi I have a RS 300GT
and pedal set.
After 3 years we have killed the accelerator pedal but that’s it. Otherwise it has
Been brilliant.
Great wheel. Good feel. Feedback is very impressive.
For dirt rally 2 you will defo need a dedicated handbrake as hitting circle mid corner isn’t easy.
Playing got sport is brilliant. Lobby racing is by far the best fun.
Daily races are full of nutters. We keep away from them mainly.
Manual gears and TC off is the only way to play.
We have a next level racing A stand which folds away.
No dedicated chair though. We just pull up a dining chair which happens to be a decent height for us.
My sons a foot shorter than I am.
He is still faster!!!,
Prices are sky high due to global lockdown and the fact that amazon and eBay have a misguided sense of how to sell.
If someone actually wants to buy their products then they bang the price up by30% over night.
Muppets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

@RCbutcher  If you haven't purchased a wheel yet I am told that Argos are running a deal until July on the G29, if you buy the shifter as well the price drops to £200 total. The problem with Argos is finding the damm thing in stock, but its worth a look.

Edited by Mark_C

• 1 month later...

I race on GT Sport mainly with a G29 and the Playseat Challenge. Only upgrade is the better brake spring for the G29 pedals. All in all, a pretty good setup for the money. The wheel will be upgraded to a Fanatec setup next year hopefully but I'm hanging on until the PS5 launches to make sure things are compatible.

Assetto corsa  is my fix , usually racing ferrari 458 GT2 

i run a janky old logitech DFP ( driving force pro ) 

this is my first run out 3yrs ago , just turned on the pc loaded up the game and recorded my first lap , cold tyres full tank of gas and well a little to hot into corners. but not a bad lap time