• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

High Roller - VS4-10 Chassis kit build.

12 hours ago, Andy-Roo said:

It’s very disappointing, but I’m sure I’ll be able to sort the problem out with a shim or two. I’m hoping to use it in a lightweight, low CoG build that I’m planning 🤞

American crap!.. An absolutely great design but sadly Eriks' quality control has gone out the window of late..... 

Don't chop your interior yet! Is it the motor or the spur in the way or the whole lot?...

2 hours ago, stimpy said:

American crap!.. An absolutely great design but sadly Eriks' quality control has gone out the window of late..... 

Don't chop your interior yet! Is it the motor or the spur in the way or the whole lot?...

Think it’s just the spur/guard that’ll be the issue. It looks like it’ll come through just behind the front seats - but that’s only a rough estimate.  I’m not going to tackle fitting it as yet...I’m taking a break from worrying about it and just get on with the rest of the build for now. 

7 hours ago, Andy-Roo said:

Think it’s just the spur/guard that’ll be the issue. It looks like it’ll come through just behind the front seats - but that’s only a rough estimate.  I’m not going to tackle fitting it as yet...I’m taking a break from worrying about it and just get on with the rest of the build for now. 

OK, and if you put the spur to the front does it clear?  Then we could make a forward motor mount .... 

Edited by stimpy

1 hour ago, stimpy said:

OK, and if you put the spur to the front does it clear?  Then we could make a forward motor mount .... 

I think that would put the spur coming through the front seat/dash area. There also a good chance the motor would foul the rear bulkhead.  I’m thinking I could either paint the spur cover black or maybe box the rear seat area out of styrene and paint it to look like a huge icebox 🤣

1 hour ago, Andy-Roo said:

I think that would put the spur coming through the front seat/dash area. There also a good chance the motor would foul the rear bulkhead.  I’m thinking I could either paint the spur cover black or maybe box the rear seat area out of styrene and paint it to look like a huge icebox 🤣

Definitely in the future I will have an option for you mate. But for now don't forget you could take the spur cover off also - I've never ran one anyway... 

And as for the forward motor mount option it would then be further forward! So it will come no where near the rear bulk head 👍

Definitely in the future I will have an option for you mate. But for now don't forget you could take the spur cover off also - I've never ran one anyway... 

And as for the forward motor mount option it would then be further forward! So it will come no where near the rear bulk head [emoji106]
X2 on removing the spur cover, they're big and get in the way!
There's 2 options on the front motor mount@Andy-Roo; the SSD Trail King / VFD route where it's still bolted to a traditional skid or the complete relocation up over the front axle between the shock hoops and then a divorced transfer case where the skid is.
Both give loads of space for a proper interior.

I'm hoping stimpy and Carl have got the latter in prototype [emoji16][emoji1696]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, DartmoorTrails said:

X2 on removing the spur cover, they're big and get in the way!
There's 2 options on the front motor mount@Andy-Roo; the SSD Trail King / VFD route where it's still bolted to a traditional skid or the complete relocation up over the front axle between the shock hoops and then a divorced transfer case where the skid is.
Both give loads of space for a proper interior.

I'm hoping stimpy and Carl have got the latter in prototype emoji16.pngemoji1696.png

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hehe.. We're running a little behind our hoped schedule currently just due to life!.. But it's coming lads!!

We have currently decided to go down 2 routes; a forward / forward mount on the 3 gear Axial unit as that's quite easy to design. Then a 3 & 4 gear LCG OD tranny - my hope is to work this out without needing a spur gear... 

I also want to look at rehousing the 3 gear in a better lower package but I also want to work out a DIG option - I have some VP Hurtz digs to play with but I will also visit the SCX3/Capra tranny and see if I can't design a different front section to bring the gearing down some or repackage it maybe.... An awful Lot of ideas, just needing the time put into them and then other projects getting in the way also!!...

I also really need to concentrate on getting the first few chassis options tested and out as a priority 👍 The straight axle version should have the first releases sometime soonish 2/3 weeks all being well...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

Looking good, I built a Mojave a few years ago and came up with a way to hide the crappy screw holes in the body and still use the same mounting posts

👍

Nice fix there AJ, looks great 👍

• Like 1