• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Gmade Komodo Double Cab GS02- Kit Build

PraetoR

Here you can see the subtle differences, between the two universal joints.

On the right (wrong one), you can see it has a thicker base, a different slot design and the joint is not a consistent width; instead, it gets thinner towards the base.

Ignore the difference in colour, that's as a result of me trying to sand it down to reduce the friction (before I realised the mistake).

788365476_Exampleone.thumb.jpg.23e8c20843d8969246c91b83e2745b4e.jpg

61044129_Exampletwo.thumb.jpg.cea8d4cc8d1f7f79432f156dc76820a7.jpg

Edited by PraetoR
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, monkeyboy_uk said:

I've just checked mine. Both of mine look like the one on the left. No idea what they have put in your kit. GMade should sort you out though.

Thanks for the info. That's reassuring.

Oh, that's nice! One more fellow Double Cab owner!

I have started building mine just before the lock down, I basically ordered everything, including all the upgrades and electronics, some actually from Hong Kong. So far most of the stuffs have arrived, except a light kit and the ESC.

I haven't bought any RC for over 10years, so this one is going to be the ultimate rig for me.  

1549945515_20200505_232750-Copy.jpg.b49d21d88f79a6690daf1823347a36e2.jpg

• Like 2

Couple of upgrades bought and fitted. While I wait for the replacement universal joint to arrive.

People reckon the GS02 chassis is plenty capable, but has a bit of a high centre of gravity. So I decided (having learned of them from AJ's BOM build) to buy the SSD SCX10 II aluminium knuckles and wheel weights. They really do add a lot of weight, low-down and out-wide, so should help lower the COG, substantially.

Also, they're extremely high-quality and the fit and finish is excellent. Very pleased!

20200508_164318.thumb.jpg.33276bcdb48a567f219b510e00777de4.jpg

Additionally, I bought the Gmade Heavy Duty Diff Lockers. Not because I thought they were needed, but because they have a a much better fit and finish than the standard units, so might help my axles (especially the rear one) run smoother.

You can see the difference in quality. It's night and day (HD locker on right).

20200508_144103.thumb.jpg.b913fa77d381d0098723b0c1334e3c22.jpg

• Like 3

Are you running the 13t pinion on yours?  The gear mesh on mine is way too tight if I use the hole marked 13 ,I'm having to use the 14 hole .No big deal but I thought it was a bit strange.Also the  gearbox on mine is really noisy ,even when I'm barely using much throttle . Have you ran any power through yours yet ?  Not sure if it's because it's all metal gears but it's  a lot louder than my other trucks.

1 hour ago, tomr said:

Are you running the 13t pinion on yours?  The gear mesh on mine is way too tight if I use the hole marked 13 ,I'm having to use the 14 hole .No big deal but I thought it was a bit strange.Also the  gearbox on mine is really noisy ,even when I'm barely using much throttle . Have you ran any power through yours yet ?  Not sure if it's because it's all metal gears but it's  a lot louder than my other trucks.

Yes I am. It's pretty close; closer than I'd normally run my pinions, but it isn't too tight at any point in the revolution. It's always got a wee bit of play. So I'm happy with it.

I haven't run it. I haven't even finished building it, yet. Because of the problem I have with the wrong part being in the kit. My gearbox is smooth as silk, though, and basically inaudible if you spin it by hand. I imagine it'll be almost silent when running.

I absolutely filled it with thicker grease, though.

6 hours ago, PraetoR said:

Yes I am. It's pretty close; closer than I'd normally run my pinions, but it isn't too tight at any point in the revolution. It's always got a wee bit of play. So I'm happy with it.

I haven't run it. I haven't even finished building it, yet. Because of the problem I have with the wrong part being in the kit. My gearbox is smooth as silk, though, and basically inaudible if you spin it by hand. I imagine it'll be almost silent when running.

I absolutely filled it with thicker grease, though.

Mines still only a bare chassis at the moment but had to run the motor to check the mesh . I might as well take my gearbox back off and fill it with grease .

I found a YouTube video with the same pinion mesh problem as mine so feel better about leaving it in the 14 hole .

How long before your parts arrive ? I'm looking forward to seeing what you do colour wise to the body .

17 minutes ago, tomr said:

How long before your parts arrive ? I'm looking forward to seeing what you do colour wise to the body .

I really hope they arrive tomorrow, but I'm not sure. Definitely this coming week, unless something goes wrong!

Thanks for that, but I wouldn't hold your breath too tightly... I'm not the greatest spraypainter!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PraetoR said:

The Bom? How did you find it?

I really enjoyed the build it went together lovely except for the pinion mesh ,thankfully no wrong or missing parts . 

There's a few things I dislike about the  kit , the non bead lock wheels and the plastic motor mount are top of my list but overall I like it .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PraetoR said:

Well, I've ordered a Holmes Hobbies motor with zero timing, as my Hackmoto V2 runs way faster in reverse! :xd:

Which Holmes? I run Crawlmaster Pros in a few of my rigs... 

Does your v2 have a removable endbell? If so you can re time it . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stimpy said:

Which Holmes? I run Crawlmaster Pros in a few of my rigs... 

Does your v2 have a removable endbell? If so you can re time it . 

Crawlmaster Sport 550.

It does and I can. But the last time I tried that, I ruined the motor by making it run rough and hot! Decided it was safer to just get another motor! 

13 hours ago, tomr said:

I really enjoyed the build it went together lovely except for the pinion mesh ,thankfully no wrong or missing parts . 

There's a few things I dislike about the  kit , the non bead lock wheels and the plastic motor mount are top of my list but overall I like it .

Speaking of the pinion mesh, mine seems a little loud, as well. Going to have another go at it when the new motor arrives. Got an Axial 11t pinion to fit.