• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Super slow mo

pando

Trouble with movie maker is it only uses 25fps regardless of what frame rate you filmed at. To get decent results you'll need good editing software and a PC powerful enough to run it. 

GoPro 7 and 8 record 240fps at 1080p (i think even 1440p), which makes for decent quality, good slo mo shots.

Downside, keep that in mind, is that with high frame rates, you need a lot of light. Overcast in the afternoon might already be enough that you have to pump up brightness etc post-production, which makes everything look grainy. 

That said: samsung phones etc have super slomo as well (definitely my wifes note 10, and the s9 before). 

I'm not sure what you'd consider "super smooth" (smoothness comes from target framerate, not the fps you shot the video with), but as a rule of thumb: you want the video to be at least 1080p (1920x1080) in resolution. Usually they get played in either 24, or 30fps. Meaning, if you shoot something at 1080p 60fps, and export it as a 30fps video, it runs at 1/2 the speed. From there you just really need to figure out how slow you exactly want to go - 120fps is what i'd consider good, meaning once you edited everything and encoded it, the footage runs at 1/4 the speed. 

You can have a look around for something that shoots 1080p at 120fps - or you could get a GoPro. That's probably the easiest and most convenient option (though, not the cheapest). Chose between 7 and 8 (read up first, slight differences - just recently made my mind up and ordered the 8 - does need the protective housing though since the lens on the 7 is replaceable if it breaks - you can't on the 8). 

Edited by m4inbrain

Was looking at the hero 7 sliver? only problem might be the editing software, have a toshiba satelite i3 c50 laptop, do have a pretty powerful gaming desktop but it's all packed away, I'm off gaming and back into rc and all available space has been taken up by rc car's so setting it back up would be difficult

The silver models don't have a slomo feature. They record in 60fps maximum at 1080 and 1440p. I personally wouldn't consider a silver model.

https://gopro.com/en/gb/compare

Just tap the 8, 7 black and 7 silver for comparison.

That laptop is.. i wouldn't call it sufficient for editing. Any editing, indeed. If you're patient, it works, but it won't be fun. But that's regardless of the footage, an i3 is just pretty useless for video editing where cores/threads matter. 

• Like 1