• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Help with set for a young child

Jambo.26

Hi

i bought a nitro hpi trophie buggy years ago but really struggled with getting it set up. I recently converted this to the flux version with a hobbywing ezrun max with 2200kv motor combo. I’m wondering what’s a good battery option and gear set up for a young child to get use to and not smash it up on his first outing. 
Thanks in advance 

Jamie 

4 hours ago, Gampla said:

2s lipo

The max8 ESC needs 3s minimum.

It's quite a powerful combo for a child so your best bet would be to limit the throttle range to reduce the top speed until they have the hang of it :good:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, James1986 said:

The max8 ESC needs 3s minimum.

It's quite a powerful combo for a child so your best bet would be to limit the throttle range to reduce the top speed until they have the hang of it :good:

Yeah I second this. That's a hell of a lot of power for a young child. Definitely let them only use it in an open space 👍

7 minutes ago, babylon said:

That motor will be fine, Its an RC Car, Not a Kalashnikov.

On 2s it will slower than a 1/10, So will be OK.

Can you safely run the Max8 on 2s?

I'm not sure, it's rated for 3s-6s. I don't actually know, wouldn't that have the potential to damage the lipo?

19 minutes ago, babylon said:

That motor will be fine, Its an RC Car, Not a Kalashnikov.

On 2s it will slower than a 1/10, So will be OK.

I didn't think it could run on 2s. Definitely wouldn't trust myself as a young child to handle 3s power even on a 2200kv motor 😂

Edited by fnknan

It all boils down to where you're running it though. 

I wouldn't hand a kid a 3s RC in a public park, but where i run my RCs, there's usually no one else for a mile or two around me. I don't see a problem in that case. 

25 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I'm not sure, it's rated for 3s-6s. I don't actually know, wouldn't that have the potential to damage the lipo?

To be honest,Never even occured to me.

Just keep the Max8 as backup and pickup a cheap Surpass of the bay for 20 quid.

That, or run it on 3s, get a somewhat decent radio and limit throttle to like 50%. 

Or, just run it safely away from anything that could be damaged/hurt and teach your kid responsibility. ;):)

Just now, Jambo.26 said:

Something like this? 
SURPASS 4500KV 2030 Motor & Waterproof Brushless ESC Combo Set for RC Model Car

Can you recommend a controller please?

i have the standard HPI one that came with the car and a Spectrum DX2 for my other car

The DX2E Active?

The DX2E Active has throttle limiting via switch on the top. This one.

DX2e%20Active.png

The older DX2, i wouldn't know. But in regards to size, the Turnigy GT5 springs to mind - we recently had someone who bought the GT5 for his kid which had problems with a spektrum radio due to the size. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-gt5-6ch-2-4ghz-afhds-2a-surface-radio-w-gt5-receiver.html

1 hour ago, m4inbrain said:

I ran my blx 185 on 2s before and all seemed fine. I wouldn't risk it though

55 minutes ago, babylon said:

To be honest,Never even occured to me.

Just keep the Max8 as backup and pickup a cheap Surpass of the bay for 20 quid.

Would recommend this one

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F303372981177

Can run 2-4s lipo

Edited by fnknan

41 minutes ago, CattoCattoExo said:

I don't think this is the right application for this system, especially when Jambo already has the max8 combo,

I think it makes sense just to buy a cheap ESC like the one I linked and pair that to the max8 motor, then you can run 2s but still have the torque to get that 8th scale moving

3 minutes ago, fnknan said:

I don't think this is the right application for this system, especially when Jambo already has the max8 combo,

I think it makes sense just to buy a cheap ESC like the one I linked and pair that to the max8 motor, then you can run 2s but still have the torque to get that 8th scale moving

granted... smarty pants lol 

however, its always good to have more electrics, cos then it makes you buy more rc stuff XD 

Edited by CattoCattoExo
  • Haha 1

It's an adult rc built for adults lol. Get another and blast them together I say. But something 2-3s for your son. 

A 1/8 buggy has the weight and needs good power either way so probably not the best chassis to go with. But can be done so long as you always supervise etc. 

Or you could probably trade it for something more suitable too.  Something 1/10 4x4 brushless.