• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Lipo battery storage voltage

peterthedrummer

11 hours ago, stretch said:

Around 60% of capacity i.e 3.8v per cell

Just connected my battery to charger and it's at 3.8v but the hen I connect battery to voltage checker it says it's at 3.8v but only 25% charge not 60%

Edited by peterthedrummer

What is it reading the battery as? 

2s or 3s? A voltage checker is exactly what the name implies. It doesn't tell you your charge directly. It "calculates" it based on the voltage it sees (100% = 2x 4.2v or 8.4v etc). 7.6v is "more charge" on a 2s battery than it is on a 3s battery (also make sure that it's set to LiPo, the ebay-checkers usually have different settings for LiPo, LiFe, NiMH etc). I also hope your charger says it's 3.8v per cell, not your entire battery.

Edited by m4inbrain

19 minutes ago, Tug said:

It doesn't have to, just sit with a cup of tea in normal charge mode, then switch off when it reaches 50 to 60%. Job done. 

That is not correct 3.8v per cell is around 30% not 60% most of the charge is at the higher voltage range. 

31 minutes ago, peterthedrummer said:

Yes it does have storage function but been reading online that storage function takes a age to doeEgqC2B.jpg

iXlxWDs.jpg

ywPtw7J.jpg

The storage change normally takes 10-20mins if you have used it and it is flat, it only takes ages if it has to discharge a full battery that you didn't use.

1 hour ago, Ollykamakazi said:

Ah yeah you do.

Ah no you don't.

Come on, Lets do it,  Lets all go on an internet hunt and see how many stories we can find of Lipo's spontaneously com-busting while on charge, What with all the thousands upon thousands of charges that take place each and every day all over the world, I image the internet is littered hundreds of stories of yo.   

• Like 1

Just storage charge it.  If your below storage charge it won't take long.  Charge at the correct amperage for your battery.  Example 5000mAh - 5amps, 2000mAh - 2amps.  If your above storage charge it will take longer as the charger will bring it down at 1 amp.  Plug it it, set it off, stick it in a lipo sack, getr a cup of tea or a beer.

Storage charging is safer and prolongs the life of your battery.

• Thanks 1

Keep an eye on it yes.
Stand there watching it no.

Taking me too literally.
I wouldn’t sit staring at my charger obviously.
But most that go pop, do it while charging.
If going to be safe you’ll be on same room.
All the stories seem to start with
“ I left it for 2 mins, thought it would be fine”

Bash, Break, Build, Repeat...

No they start "Yes it was damaged but I thought it'd be fine"
They don't go off randomly for no reason without warning.

Great
I’m happy to be wrong.
All my knowledge of lipos comes from this forum as a starting point.
To say I’m confused now would be fair.
So all the posts from the main contributors on this site is over kill and waffle then ?
No need for ammo cases etc as long as battery is not damaged.
I can “ Go about my day “ as quoted above?

8 hours ago, Ollykamakazi said:

Great
I’m happy to be wrong.
All my knowledge of lipos comes from this forum as a starting point.
To say I’m confused now would be fair.
So all the posts from the main contributors on this site is over kill and waffle then ?
No need for ammo cases etc as long as battery is not damaged.
I can “ Go about my day “ as quoted above?

No, You don't need an ammo box, If your that worried, Just charge it outside, I know some will come back saying i'm off my head, It's stupid to not charge in one, But I'm still waiting for all the stories of exploding lipo's.

Yes , They can be dangerous, But chargers are much more sophisticated these days, Go back to the days of Ni-Cad and SCR's and SCE's being charged on a charger with a 30 minutes mechanical timer, Lost count of how many of them I had go up in smoke.

No, You don't need an ammo box, If your that worried, Just charge it outside, I know some will come back saying i'm off my head, It's stupid to not charge in one, But I'm still waiting for all the stories of exploding lipo's.
 Yes , They can be dangerous, But chargers are much more sophisticated these days, Go back to the days of Ni-Cad and SCR's and SCE's being charged on a charger with a 30 minutes mechanical timer, Lost count of how many of them I had go up in smoke.

No not too worried but the posts on here would have you believe they are all time bombs [emoji378]
Just waiting to go off if you pop to the garage.
Personally I’ve charged a few banana shaped softies which were a bit suspect.
but couldn’t t understand why lipos were in production if they could all just self combust at any time while undamaged.
Also agree with earlier comment that the number being charged on any given day must be massive and you only hear about the odd one going pop.

13 hours ago, Ollykamakazi said:

No not too worried but the posts on here would have you believe they are all time bombs emoji378.png
Just waiting to go off if you pop to the garage.
Personally I’ve charged a few banana shaped softies which were a bit suspect.
but couldn’t t understand why lipos were in production if they could all just self combust at any time while undamaged.
Also agree with earlier comment that the number being charged on any given day must be massive and you only hear about the odd one going pop.

I think it should be more about respecting their potential hazards rather than trying to ignore them or try and convince others that they don't exist.

How often do you hear of petrol tanks/can exploding or catching fire? If not very often are you then deeming petrol a safe non volatile substance that is perfectly safe to abuse and allow children to play with?

As for the LiPo's, I did open up a Micro plane box where a 1S cell had evidently failed as the polystyrene around the battery was burnt. Very glad nothing worse became of it. I also found this recently when I opened up a draw. It was a hard case LiPo. 

No idea of what fire risk it presented, but I did find it a little worrying... 

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG