• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New ARRMA Teaser....

Fly In My Soup

13 hours ago, Tug said:

That's rich! Your vids are the only ones I'll mute because of the acquired taste in "music"! 😘

I was only referring to the Kraton, it only seemed to star in the first third with little descriptive commentary. 

😁👍...lol.... Ones taste is quite urban in nature.......

Let me guess....in 'your' day..... You had real music.... ...ok boomer🤣

41 minutes ago, Fly In My Soup said:

😁👍...lol.... Ones taste is quite urban in nature.......

Let me guess....in 'your' day..... You had real music.... ...ok boomer🤣

Don't push your luck, you wouldn't know real music if it bit ya! 🧐

Just watched yet another bendy vid, I can't see me ever investing in this! My X2 has had some airtime and never folded like this! Traxxas are winning right now, fact!

But the war still rages. 

7 minutes ago, Tug said:

Don't push your luck, you wouldn't know real music if it bit ya! 🧐

Just watched yet another bendy vid, I can't see me ever investing in this! My X2 has had some airtime and never folded like this! Traxxas are winning right now, fact!

But the war still rages. 

Makes me laugh that everyone says m2c m2c m2c..... They still flex..... 

Only chassis I've not seen flex... One bit... Is the material used in the kyosho str mp777  kit chassis (not rtr) 

Like this one.... Can't remember the material Now... Had a gold/green hue to it... 

872458d1328234480-kyosho-truggy-st-r-bru

3 hours ago, Kukynas said:

it has gold tint to it as per picture below

tensile strength of

7075-0          - 280Mpa

7075-T6       - 510-540Mpa

7075-T651 - 570Mpa

Cool... Thanks for the info.... 

Yeah they used that for a few mp777 variant chassis too.... Stuff is ridiculous..... 

I'm assuming mass production brought the price down... As they're £100 new....cnc routed too for weight balance and kick ups on the wings for even more strength.... 

Makes you wonder.... Why don't the other manufacturers use it?? Or do they?? ... I've seen some losi chassis with a similar (if slightly darker hue) material... 

I wonder if someone will try just buying a second chassis and using longer hardware to simply bolt it on from underneath? They were doing that with the original Slash 4x4 to get the COG lower. It might add enough strength to this Kraton without adding too much weight. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Cool... Thanks for the info.... 

Yeah they used that for a few mp777 variant chassis too.... Stuff is ridiculous..... 

I'm assuming mass production brought the price down... As they're £100 new....cnc routed too for weight balance and kick ups on the wings for even more strength.... 

Makes you wonder.... Why don't the other manufacturers use it?? Or do they?? ... I've seen some losi chassis with a similar (if slightly darker hue) material... 

i'm pretty sure tlr and xray use it as  well 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tug said:

I wonder if someone will try just buying a second chassis and using longer hardware to simply bolt it on from underneath? They were doing that with the original Slash 4x4 to get the COG lower. It might add enough strength to this Kraton without adding too much weight. 

i have seen someone on ebay was selling a spare chassis after trying that on a 6s truck and it didnt look very straight. 

10 minutes ago, Jumper said:

i have seen someone on ebay was selling a spare chassis after trying that on a 6s truck and it didnt look very straight. 

OK, let's call that a fail. 

What about a plastic chassis? 10mm thick nylon based chassis? Gotta be better than the stocker? 🤔

22 minutes ago, Tug said:

OK, let's call that a fail. 

What about a plastic chassis? 10mm thick nylon based chassis? Gotta be better than the stocker? 🤔

That's some serious hours in r+D to get plastic to hold up the weight during landings and cartwheels... 

I once used 8mm thick riot shield grade polycarbonate to make a 1/6 chassis... Which also used truggy running gear... 

Was a blast... But did I jump it... Not really... Only a few mild sends from the wife driving it.... The sheer weight would of destroyed it... I too used tower to tower bracing... As the chassis flexed like mad without it..... 

It was slow compared to a 1/8 truggy... But good fun.... I built it for a few hundred... 🤣... 

Its funny.... As I see a lot of similarities with the large kraton.... Fun for flatland... Bit risky sending it.... All came back to the weight.... Its the weight that's the killer during bashing imo

One could try a composite/sandwich plate, not unlike the Losi XXL2e. Two metal plates, with a composite plate in between. Would get pretty heavy though.

What could be more viable is simply looking at where exactly it bends (so far, most bends occur yet again at the two thin parts where the shocktowers mount to the plate) like M2C did (their chassis for the 6s isn't just different material, it's also wider at the spots where the Kraton usually bends) - and then do something like Losi with their 3XL. 

Losi-LST-3XL-E-4WD-RTR-Monster-Truck-2.j

No need to make the entire chassis 10mm thick, you just need to reinforce the spots where it bends (at the shocktowers). That could be viable.

Yes, but Arrma really shouldn't have released it like this. Most aren't going to send it Talbot/Duperbash/RCDude style, but I've seen bending occur from frontal impacts too, not just ramping. 

• Thanks 1

problem with Arrma's bending chassis (not only Arrma's) is 6061 cheese alloy (ts 150 Mpa) so for such heavy car and moving mass no wonder they are bending and to top it off they used plastic chassis braces 🤦‍♂️ instead of reinforce it differently like m4inbrain mentioned above, did they think this car is intended for crawling or what?

for comparison MCD for their basic model use 5083 alloy with ts of 317 Mpa, all upper models (ft, pro and ultimate) using 7075-T6 for all their alu parts (that's why such high prices)  

13 minutes ago, Kukynas said:

problem with Arrma's bending chassis (not only Arrma's) is 6061 cheese alloy (ts 150 Mpa) so for such heavy car and moving mass no wonder they are bending and to top it off they used plastic chassis braces 🤦‍♂️ instead of reinforce it differently like m4inbrain mentioned above, did they think this car is intended for crawling or what?

for comparison MCD for their basic model use 5083 alloy with ts of 317 Mpa, all upper models (ft, pro and ultimate) using 7075-T6 for all their alu parts (that's why such high prices)  

6061-T6 is 240mpa yield strength. 

It kinda is though. 

I'm in the camp arguing that, if people drive it like a 5th scale rather than a Kraton 6s, it's enough. It's enough on the 5t as well, and that's longer wheelbase and heavier. Yeah those bend every now and then, but so far i'm not even sure if there's a youtuber that didn't bend it first try lol. 

Edited by m4inbrain

Can I ask if the chassis brace is hollow, I don't really get why it doesn't help, The Losi Muggy was notorious for flexing, Which it was, I put a length of solid bar front to back and know no flex what so ever. 

20170629-163006-1.jpg

11 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

It kinda is though. 

I'm in the camp arguing that, if people drive it like a 5th scale rather than a Kraton 6s, it's enough. It's enough on the 5t as well, and that's longer wheelbase and heavier. Yeah those bend every now and then, but so far i'm not even sure if there's a youtuber that didn't bend it first try lol. 

sure but 5t is 5mm with additional CNC machining to improve rigidity

From what I can gather, the brace isn't strong enough to stop the chassis bending, but it does cause stress on the towers. 

1 hour ago, babylon said:

Can I ask if the chassis brace is hollow, I don't really get why it doesn't help, The Losi Muggy was notorious for flexing, Which it was, I put a length of solid bar front to back and know no flex what so ever. 

20170629-163006-1.jpg

It don’t matter if the chassis bends or the arms snap the esc catches fire or thing self destructs folks will still buy it no matter what why as it’s a new rc  there then add a stack of upgrades to make it better and still love it no matter the costs or design flaws Arrma  Traxxas losi etc etc all know it and don’t give a monkeys    If they did theyd make it better out the gate lets face it the engineering departments aren’t full of chimps with a square peg trying to put it in a round whole ! 

I think Kev hit the nail on the head if you want one buy it if not buy something else parts are cheaper on the x maxx but the kraton is bigger faster and flys better if you want an all round basher get the maxx as it can go places the kraton isn’t really suited to lastly if you want best of both buy both 😂

Has anyone on the forum exactly bought one yet ? 

Edited by mydoddy69