• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fabrication ideas on how to solve a problem

Nick

I have some external lights which have motion sensors built into the face of them. The issue I have is when it rains (all the time) water runs down the face of the light and triggers the sensors, so they just stay on all night. :( Even if I have sensitivity to the lowest setting.

Pic of culprit (I have 4 though):

20190929-123517.jpg

I want to make/get little roofs to fit on them, so rain doesn't run down the front but down the back.

Anyone got any bright ideas on how to do this but also look good? I was thinking a 3d printer might be able to but I don't have one. :lol: As I could make it so they just slot on without any fixings.

Yeah, 3D Printer of course would be able to fix this in a few hours (printing is slooow :(with a clip-on solution, if you're a bit knowledgeable in CAD and have proper tools to measure (calipers etc). 

Don't know what kind of tools you have, if you have a small bender, two steel rods bent to shape with the shade (made of tarp, maybe) mounted between them would work, or as Tug mentioned, alloy angles. Or if possible, you just mount this specific one higher, the drain would shield it in that case. 

Or, if you have, two small steel plates that you hotglue to the front, triangular shape/like eyebrows, so the water runs off left/right instead of over the lense. 

I knocked this up at work out of stainless steel for ours. Not because of the rain problem but neighbour was moaning about the light waking them up in the mornings as I'm going to work. Works quite well and seems to keep everything dry as well.

20190929_195531-2016x980.jpg

20190929_195605-2016x980.jpg

• Like 1

On 30/09/2019 at 00:49, heavyleftthumb said:

drop me some sizes pal. and ill draw a 3d print up for you. im sure i can print a suitable solution up

Thanks buddy, I'm going to try and do a simple fold of aluminium I think and see if that does the trick first.

On 29/09/2019 at 23:53, Fly In My Soup said:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ5q0lU4iv7lal_-gXJR

£3 on ebay

Various sizes, 7,9,10"

Fpv monitor shade 

Ah amazing, I will do a similar design with aluminium sheet, I think if I buy some 1mm thick stuff I can just bend it to go down each side and over the top to at least see if the concept works and stops the lights triggering!

What's a good cheap tool to cut thin alu sheet with?

• Like 1