• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

£1000 scale truck

I’m going to build a scale rig, £1000 is my limit.

Here’s a few things that i want

leaf springs

hard body (options of what’s available other than the usual hilux build) 

1.9 max wheel/tyre combo

esc/servo/motor

3s battery's

build me a truck please 

RC4WD TF2 kit, get it with the body, because it works out quite a good saving if you just sell the body brand spanking new over just buying the kit without the body, then buy the body of your choice, perhaps a Blazer? Or do the unusual Hilux build with a 4dr version? Or maybe an FJ40? XJ? Unimog?

I would personally go 1.55 for a scale truck though, unless you are building something lifted?

HobbyWing 1080, Holmes Torquemaster Expert 35t, Savox 1256, or 1210, if you want waterproof.

You'll have a good chunk of change left over for other stuff you want to add like interior etc...

• Like 1

Get the vanquish chassis. Huge quality if youve got a mad budget. Or get a slightly lesser quality kit, such as the TF2 and pump the extra into accessories and bits. With 1k you could make a hell of a tf2, with loads of nice custom parts as well. Its  better if you can make your own parts, you can add a totally custom touch to an otherwise quite similar chassis. Just my 0.2c, youre going to enjoy whatever you end up with for sure :)

TF2 with an LC70 I, some nice steel SSDs, Pitbull PBX, Mamba X + Puller Pro would do for that money. Dunno if the TF2 drive train will survive 3S brushless though. 

I'd be tempted to get some really nice 1.55s and get some Pitbull growlers. Same size as small 1.9s but I think they look better on a true scaler.

• Like 1

I’ve been doing some research from your ideas and having problems with pit bull tyres and holmes hobbies motors. Is there a uk dealer or isit simply from the states? Just worried about customs charges etc 

Yep as above, sorry should have stated that, RCmart is the place to go for most crawler/scaler things to be honest.

They often offer free shipping on some items too.

Pitbulls in general tend to be quite tall, even 1.55's, so be careful, or they could end up being too big for the arches on your body.

I'd still go with a quality brushed system myself, especially if you're just getting into it, no need to spend the entire £1,000 budget to the penny, if you have a decent few hundred left over, you can change things as you go to your preference.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

I couldn't find a dealer in the UK - but if you order from RCMart, you will not have to deal with customs charges. 

You may have too. It's a gamble. The air mail specific service always gets caught by Parcel Force but the cheaper delivery often avoids it. I avoided it on my VS410 but have got it on other items. Bear in mind they are ramping up customs checks right now in the UK too.

Edited by mond

19 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Yep as above, sorry should have stated that, RCmart is the place to go for most crawler/scaler things to be honest.

Pitbulls in general tend to be quite tall, even 1.55's, so be careful, or they could end up being too big for the arches on your body.

I'd still go with a quality brushed system myself, especially if you're just getting into it, no need to spend the entire £1,000 budget to the penny, if you have a decent few hundred left over, you can change things as you go to your preference.

Those pitbulls are 4.09. The OP wanted 1.9s, so 4.09 is just shy of the normal maximum for class 1. I thought a good compromise for a TF2.

Edited by mond

25 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

Looks like it will be an RCmart project as it stands then, not new to rc been into rc cars for years, (rally/drift) and more recently been running a Carisma Scale Adventure truck I purchased early this year 🙂

8 minutes ago, mond said:

Those pitbulls are 4.09. The OP wanted 1.9s, so 4.09 is just shy of the normal maximum for class 1. I thought a good compromise for a TF2.

I’m looking at wheels and tyre at a maximum size of 1.9s so open to suggestions on all 1.55’s aswell 👍

Always go with the cheapest postage option, I'd rather wait an extra 24 hours than pay ridiculous import taxes and 'handling fee' nonsense :) 

As for the tyres, I didn't check those specific ones, but just in general, Pitbulls tend to be quite tall.

Just over 4" would be fine though, depending on foams etc..

@Andrew Burnie - have you got any idea on the body you want to use?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Always go with the cheapest postage option, I'd rather wait an extra 24 hours than pay ridiculous import taxes and 'handling fee' nonsense :) 

As for the tyres, I didn't check those specific ones, but just in general, Pitbulls tend to be quite tall.

Just over 4" would be fine though, depending on foams etc..

@Andrew Burnie - have you got any idea on the body you want to use?

Stuck between a blazer and lc70

I can't comment on the truck as a whole, but Boom Racing is a budget brand, I've had good luck and bad luck with different parts, I'd guess things like shocks will be pretty cheaply made and a bit of a risk.

Unless they are considerably less, it's probably not worth the risk, but someone who owns one might comment and tell me I'm wrong.

By the way if you do go with a Trailfinder 2, you'll likely be best ordering it from the USA.

Even after shipping costs and import taxes, they still work out a good bit cheaper than UK sellers, without checking probably £60-70, when the exchange rate was better I saved £104 on my TF2 ordering from Tower Hobbies as they do decent discount codes too.

17 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

Did you order anything yet? :) 

I have 😀 so far only a chassis, gone for a Tf2, once it arrives I’ll start a proper build thread 👍🏻 Still undecided on electronics at the moment.