• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX carnage brushed motor keeps failing..

basherbob

Hi All,

i got an FTX Carnage for my boy to learn on, changed the esc to the hobbywing 1060 so we can run Lipo 2s 3700 batteries but we seem to have killed 2 motors now. We do use it pretty hard and he has a habit of finding puddles. so..whats going on? whats happening to the motor, i thought brushed motors were pretty durable, is it getting burnt out? Is the lipo too much for the motor, in which case can someone recommend a more suitable motor with correct rotation etc or any help would be gratefully received, pretty new to this hobby. thanks

Don't give up on the hobby! It's well worth the time and money. 

If you run a brushed motor on lipo, they do tend to burn out quicker. The lithium chemistry can't force more current through the motor, but it does supply more current if the motor demands it. This means the carbon brushes get worn down far faster. I had similar on my brushed E-Revo, switched up from nimh to lipo and the motors soon gave out. 

Either replace with cheap brushed motors, or look to going brushless. Brushless is great, but I couldn't tell you if your drive-train can handle it, I'm not familiar with your car. 

If you do go brushless, and if your radio gear has the necessary functions, you can always dial back the throttle so that it's only as fast as it was on brushed. 

• Like 1

I'd say it's the motor not coping with lipos.

I had the same with the ripmax cars I got for the kids upgraded to lipos and went through loads of motors only a few quid each but meany they never ran for very long as the motors burnt out.

Better off sticking with nihm or finding a better motor/brushless

• Like 1

Just go brushless...way less maintenance and more efficient so batteries last longer. The car can handle it on 2S no probs.

• Like 1

Thanks all, for the advice. I wont give up on the hobby 'Tug' its too much fun :) and a great way for me and the boy to learn about electronics etc

Will have a look at going brushless, probably the best option. kind of wish i went for the brushless option in the begining now, lol.

I would be very surprised if it was the lipos burning out. I run same esc as you and the stock motor in a Bugsta is not a bad one. I usually get 6-9 month out of it, good torque and reliability. What I have found is that if there is any binding, the motor burns out quite quickly and it only takes the once to significantly reduce its life.

Check your meshing, check the wheels all turn freely. Does he drive it into stationary items while accelerating?

• 2 years later...

Having same problem with LiPo battery conversation. Want to go brushless now. It’s an FTX Carnage. Anyone recommend a decent one and ESC  to drive it. Don’t want to keep replacing motors but even taking it steady they get red hot and burn out. Also thinking better heatsink and heard there are fans available? Appreciate any advice. Thermal paste useful?

On 06/05/2019 at 09:20, basherbob said:

Hi All,

i got an FTX Carnage for my boy to learn on, changed the esc to the hobbywing 1060 so we can run Lipo 2s 3700 batteries but we seem to have killed 2 motors now. We do use it pretty hard and he has a habit of finding puddles. so..whats going on? whats happening to the motor, i thought brushed motors were pretty durable, is it getting burnt out? Is the lipo too much for the motor, in which case can someone recommend a more suitable motor with correct rotation etc or any help would be gratefully received, pretty new to this hobby. thanks

How did you get on? Did you find a solution Basher?

On 06/05/2019 at 20:07, PH001 said:

Just go brushless...way less maintenance and more efficient so batteries last longer. The car can handle it on 2S no probs.

Totally agree with this.

5 hours ago, RobsterL said:

Having same problem with LiPo battery conversation. Want to go brushless now. It’s an FTX Carnage. Anyone recommend a decent one and ESC  to drive it. Don’t want to keep replacing motors but even taking it steady they get red hot and burn out. Also thinking better heatsink and heard there are fans available? Appreciate any advice. Thermal paste useful?

That doesn't sound normal, though with FTX Carnage anything is possible - there's a 270+ page owners thread within the forum, you might want to check that out and ask in there too. Link below. 

In terms of ESC, anything made by Hobbywing is generally a safe bet, and as for brushless motors, the cheaper stuff like Surpass Hobby motors do a great job. 

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 1