• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

5ive Tonegawa setups

mond

Anyone done or of these? I'm finding a single servo isn't enough at the track and dual servos just a ball ache. Considering just buying the Uber RC system. Not sure how to deal with the receiver and battery though i.e. heat from the pipe.

5 minutes ago, Tug said:

They're supposed to be the bees knees for largescale steering, but I think you're looking at 3 to 400 notes. 

Yeah, aware of the costs. It's more a case of understanding if it's the be all and end all. My 5ive is fantastic but I use it on a track and may race it on other tracks this season, if not next and I need a suitable setup. The only setups I've not tried are dual 0235's/KP 4000, dual 845s or the Spectrum 9020 or the really silly spectrum.

Would rather go single servo and the Tone seems to be a good option.

Never had any issues with the setup i made for mine.

DSCN0250.jpg

That servo is now over 10 years old and still running . If you can find a used Oddified one there a bit quicker than standard. If not Ian can still sort you out as he still carries some stock of the parts.

1 hour ago, Rover Man said:

Never had any issues with the setup i made for mine.

DSCN0250.jpg

That servo is now over 10 years old and still running . If you can find a used Oddified one there a bit quicker than standard. If not Ian can still sort you out as he still carries some stock of the parts.

Any problems getting spares?

1 hour ago, mond said:

Any problems getting spares?

Ian Oddie still has most stuff in stock but to be honest i never needed any. The only issue is running when its very cold as the drive gear is plastic and can shatter. Only had it once in a Lauterbacher super X and that was known as having a rubbish servo saver setup.

And there not as quick as a twin setup but you wont notice on a Short course truck 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rover Man said:

Ian Oddie still has most stuff in stock but to be honest i never needed any. The only issue is running when its very cold as the drive gear is plastic and can shatter. Only had it once in a Lauterbacher super X and that was known as having a rubbish servo saver setup.

And there not as quick as a twin setup but you wont notice on a Short course truck 

I saw that Uber has some steel versions of those gears available. But they sound quite reliable anyway. 

5 minutes ago, mond said:

I saw that Uber has some steel versions of those gears available. But they sound quite reliable anyway. 

I only ever broke one and that was my own fault. What radio do you use ?? As on my 4pk i had to run in ppm mode as the tonnie is anolog . Never caused me any issue with running a savox  digital at the same time on the throttle/brake 

1 minute ago, Rover Man said:

I only ever broke one and that was my own fault. What radio do you use ?? As on my 4pk i had to run in ppm mode as the tonnie is anolog . Never caused me any issue with running a savox  digital at the same time on the throttle/brake 

A 4PLS. I read that it sometimes takes a little fiddling to get it to all run but that's no bother. Got a few different servos to pair with it if needed.  Do you run on 2 or 3S? If 3S, I assume you run a BEC? 

I ran with a 2s but the tonnie is fine up to 12v as it runs its own power lead direct from the battery, So with a 3s setup you will have to step down the voltage for the receiver and other servo.

On 3s the Tonnie will give you about 90kg of pull, Keep ya fingers out the way lol  

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/04/2019 at 21:44, mond said:

A 4PLS. I read that it sometimes takes a little fiddling to get it to all run but that's no bother. Got a few different servos to pair with it if needed.  Do you run on 2 or 3S? If 3S, I assume you run a BEC? 

I'm runnign a 4PLS with a Tonie servo that totally does not belong to @Rover Man .... Whack it in analog and it's grand.

Never had any issues with it in my 5ive. Had to swap sides from the setup Dave had it in as my motor was on the other side but made one to a similar idea and been solid.

1 minute ago, mayzie12 said:

I'm runnign a 4PLS with a Tonie servo that totally does not belong to @Rover Man .... Whack it in analog and it's grand.

Never had any issues with it in my 5ive. Had to swap sides from the setup Dave had it in as my motor was on the other side but made one to a similar idea and been solid.

It was a fair trade ?

• Like 1

I think I'll probably get one of these. Just deciding how I should wire it up to get 11v into the tonegawa and 8.4 into the receiver. I'm guessing the simplest way is two BECs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2019 at 18:59, mond said:

I think I'll probably get one of these. Just deciding how I should wire it up to get 11v into the tonegawa and 8.4 into the receiver. I'm guessing the simplest way is two BECs.

I've ran a 2s LiPo on it and never felt the servo was down on power, and that was with 15s of Lipo's on board too.

2s Should be fine for bashing, and it saves all the extra electronics for various voltages.

Edited by mayzie12

9 hours ago, mayzie12 said:

I've ran a 2s LiPo on it and never felt the servo was down on power, and that was with 15s of Lipo's on board too.

2s Should be fine for bashing, and it saves all the extra electronics for various voltages.

It's for track use.

@Rover Man So I got one of these and it appears to be broken. Radio is set to Analog (4PLS in TFH-NR mode), it's own 2S battery powering it and it quite literally will not move the wheels back and forth when on the ground. Something was clearly wrong from the offset and after two laps it was almost too hot to touch! Any ideas?

Will be sending it back unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, Rover Man said:

sounds like a dodgy servo. Never had any issues with mine .

Contact Ian on http://www.oddified.com/contact.php  He may be able to advise on a service of the servo you have cost 

Going to send to back to the seller first. Not paying to fix a broken servo when it's broke out of the box.  I've read about others arriving with problems but then others being super reliable. 

2 minutes ago, mond said:

Going to send to back to the seller first. Not paying to fix a broken servo when it's broke out of the box.  I've read about others arriving with problems but then others being super reliable. 

is it one of the old grey and blue ones or the red mmr ones ??

Just now, Rover Man said:

is it one of the old grey and blue ones or the red mmr ones ??

It's grey and blue, bought from UberRC. It's brand new from the factory - had to wait for them to get delivered to Uber. 

1 minute ago, mond said:

It's grey and blue, bought from UberRC. It's brand new from the factory - had to wait for them to get delivered to Uber. 

A new one !!! Im surprised you've had issues . But i would also be sending it back . for the money they cost it should be perfect 

1 hour ago, Rover Man said:

A new one !!! Im surprised you've had issues . But i would also be sending it back . for the money they cost it should be perfect 

Yeah, it's very disappointing.  I just hope that he gives me a tested replacement right away.