• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

AJ’s TLR 5ive-B 12s Brushless

.AJ.

Lol, I was recommend 300/600/300 on a FB group, but that seemed like a odd combination?? 

I’ve got 500, 200, 100, 50, 30 all in my pit box so I can have a play around ? 

I was also told to get alloy centre diff mounts or I will cook the diff sooner rather than later :lol:

56 minutes ago, .AJ. said:

Lol, I was recommend 300/600/300 on a FB group, but that seemed like a odd combination?? 

I’ve got 500, 200, 100, 50, 30 all in my pit box so I can have a play around ? 

I was also told to get alloy centre diff mounts or I will cook the diff sooner rather than later :lol:

Honestly, those values are ridiculous. I get that the idea is to stop things diffing out but it also makes it utterly uncontrollable and you lose the agility of the buggy. No thickness off oil will stop that motor on 12S from diffing out anf blowing a tyre if you're genuinly bogged down on a few wheels. I tried a million in the DBXLE on 8S and it would diff out in an instant if I was stupid. I'd stick 100k in the middle and then 50k in the front and probably 20 in the rear. Too thick in the middle and rear and it will kick out on every turn. On my 5ive, I run 12k/10k/7k for running on a track. Granted my engine is a fraction of that motors torque and probably half the horse power. 

Edited by mond

I have an Integy CD mount, laugh all you want, it does the job, it doesn't flex. 

Yeah, you'll have to try different oils, but if you're not racing it, it's hardly important. 

• Like 1

As long as it’s alloy it will help keep everything straight and the diff cool, it’s hardly a high stress area so no need for anything too fancy, plus the split design is a bonus...

Oil wise, I used to run 50/100/30 in my 5ive-T, that was with a Bartolone 34cc, think I’ll go with original plan and work from there ? 

It might not be stressed itself, but the flex I've witnessed on mine is quite severe, this means your mesh is way off with every squeeze of the trigger. 

Now hurry up with the build!

I ran 30,000 front, 60,000 centre and anything in between 5,000-15,000 in the rear of my truck and buggy but that was my track set up and engines that don't have any near the amount of torque that monster of a motor is going to have. 

• Like 1

Been trying to find the TLR carbon dual servo tray kit without much luck tbh and when I do it’s stupidly priced.... It uses the same tray as the brushless conversion kit though, so looks like I’ll be buying the TLR brushless conversion kit and then selling the motor mount, trays (may use one tray as a and esc mount) and the other parts I don’t need, so I’ll save a good bit of money because all the dual servo tray kits are $40 more than the brushless kit even though they have half the parts..... ? 

Dual servo Tray kit 

https://www.horizonhobby.com/dual-steering-servo-tray-conversion%3A-5ive-t--5ive-b-p-tlr358001

Brushless conversion kit 

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/cars-and-trucks/car-and-truck-accessory/all-surface-parts/electric-conversion-kit:-5ive-t--5ive-b-p-tlr358000

I guess you mean this alloy dual mount 

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-losi-racing-5iveb-aluminum-dual-steering-servo-tray-tlr351002/p582937

Im not a fan of that style set up and the other reason is where I’m mounting the ESC I need to hack up the stock throttle servo and battery box to make room for it to fit and looking at pictures of how others have done it, I would never be happy with it 

Been cracking on with the build, one thing I’ve seen with the conversion kit that i find very poor is the use of these screws to hold the motor mount to the chassis, why couldn’t they use engine inserts? My mate has a few sets and is going to pop round so we can work out which size is needed for the 16t pinion 

E0-E5175-E-25-ED-454-D-96-FE-CDCA88841-A

I've struggled with that. You may end up using big inserts, but reversing them to get a perfect mesh. 

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

nice work aj. man I wish I hadn't seen this post. I have been toying with converting my 5ive b to brushless as I already have the lipos I can use from my hpi Baja flux.

the only thing stopping me is if I still want to race with it,  I can't see a set of lipos lasting 22-25mins lol

if you do buy the tlr conversion kit I might be interested in the parts you do not use. keep me posted if that's the way you end up going.

cant wait to see your running videos. do you have a youtube channel?

Edited by Scoobyslayer
  • Like 1

if you are not 100% set on using dual steering servos you could try what I am doing and use the single servo mount from the 30degree north buggy.

im not sure how this will hold up as I have not done a field test yet. I will post a pic later

Edited by Scoobyslayer