• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Outlaw (brushless) - 3s performance

PRAETORIAN

Hi all

I bought the Outlaw 2nd hand off here almost 2 years ago. 

And for 2 years it has sat in my garage unused. Now we have finished all the building work and my garage is now my little man cave again I decided to break out the RC. 

I gave it a quick spin when it was delivered 2 years ago and then put it away. Came to it yesterday and the 2s lipo and tx batteries all still full of charge ?

So anyway - i have tweaked the controls to suit me and i got to thinking i need a new charger and more batteries, then I got to thinking I wonder how this stock 60a esc copes with 3s. 

I have read the stock esc is rubbish. 2s performance seems reasonable. Is 3s worth it?

Im interested in hearing peoples views. Im worried 3s might be a bit too much, both for the esc and the drivetrain.

Is the performance gain noticable enough to upgrade? I could feasibly chuck in a better esc if it blows. Just dont want to melt the esc AND the diffs halfway through the first 3s pack ?

Cheers

like tug says u will defo notice the speed difference u just have to make sure that esc can handle 12.6v though if its limited to a fully charged 2s ie 8.4.v that's a lot of difference and would prob burn the unit out etc you can pick cheap 3s systems up on ebay look at the gool rc 3s one good value etc

drive train wise you would have to take it a bit steadier and keep any eye on it but possible with decent throttle control.

Personally I wouldn’t take the Outlaw to 3s. Things will break quickly enough on the more stable Carnage let alone the Outlaw. I use 2s on my Carnage and find it more than fast enough - 38mph on 18t pinion to be precise. I just can’t see a need for 3s on a car this light (comparatively speaking).