• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Looking to buy first RC car- Advice needed

Lunaticflea

Hi all Right I have the money to buy my first RC and a novice when it comes to this. I have a budget of around £250 and undecided between a Nitro and Petrol. Want an off roader and not going to be looking at racing but more bashing (If that the terminology) ?

Don't mind buying secondhand. Any recommendations or anyone selling something south Lincolnshire way near Peterborough

Hi all Right I have the money to buy my first RC and a novice when it comes to this. I have a budget of around £250 and undecided between a Nitro and Petrol. Want an off roader and not going to be looking at racing but more bashing (If that the terminology) [emoji846]
Don't mind buying secondhand. Any recommendations or anyone selling something south Lincolnshire way near Peterborough

Have a look at tamiya tt02 chassis great for beginners stock it just needs grease in the diffs and on bearings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£250 is good used 1/8 nitro / brushless money and should get you a complete set up  in nitro and close with brushless - avoid HSP / ACME etc - stick to a branded manufacturer, ask questions here on the forum re suitability etc and you won't go far wrong.  

Petrol is pretty much out your budget - it's at the bottom end of used - you may fall lucky on a KM Baja at that price, but there's unlikely to be much budget left for running costs.

New 1/10 brushless is doable, though size constraints mean it will struggle off road unless it's short grass / dirt.  Unless your dropping to the budget specials (and many should be avoided) 1/8 is tight - Hpi Trophy has niggles but sometimes drops to £250 (for example, I wouldn't buy a trophy though) but again you'll be out of budget for running costs / fuel etc.

• Like 1

Get a good used well looked after Hyper ST brushless converted truggy or something like the Helion Select four10tr as they are booth good and spares are available. The spares for the Helion are silly cheap

• Like 1

Seen this for sale at £200. Is this the type that  you mean?

Hobao Hyper ST Pro with a RB K9 .21 engine. I’ve had this from new, had very little use. Not been used recently/started - all still in good condition. It will come with a 2.4ghz remote, battery (charger too), starter box (charger too), numerous spares, oils, instruction manuals and two body shells. £200

Screenshot_20181124_120358.jpg

Screenshot_20181124_120429.jpg

Screenshot_20181124-120409.jpg

Edited by Lunaticflea
Added photos
  • Like 1

Thats a brilliant price for that,The Hyper is bomb proof with good parts support, And RB engines are brilliant too,, easy to start and will hold a tune all day long,I would snap that up. 

Edited by babylon
  • Thanks 1

The ST is the truggy version of the Hyper 7, And it's still available from Modelsport, RB have gone under now, But they were multiple world champions and the best you could get for years.  

That exhaust alone is worth 30 quid on eBay.

Edited by babylon
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lunaticflea said:

Thanks for the link. Don't think my budget will stretch to new. Think that used one is a good price

It is a great price for someone like me, But like others have said, For someone new like yourself who is new to the hobby, I would look to brushless.

Tt02 is a toy in comparison sorry lol. Good for a giggle but not the A main ride lol. The Hyper ST for £200 seems very good. With spares etc and the high end parts fitted. I'm sure i sold a JP4 exhaust used bid to £40 something. The ST's are a forum favourite too for bashing. Nick named the Tank lol. 

Brushless versions look very cool over powerd lol. 

Edited by RCbutcher
  • Like 1

Tt02 is a toy in comparison sorry lol. Good for a giggle but not the A main ride lol. The Hyper ST for £200 seems very good. With spares etc and the high end parts fitted. I'm sure i sold a JP4 exhaust used bid to £40 something. The ST's are a forum favourite too for bashing. Nick named the Tank lol. 

I’m having fun with my tt02 just need to get more speed

35 minutes ago, RCbutcher said:

Thanks for your advice again and appreciate it. How much would it roughly cost for a shell if I wanted one? Just looked closely at the wheel and quite a bit of paint rub etc. I guess this is probably to be expected on a RC car

Screenshot_20181124_165013.jpg

Screenshot_20181124_164934.jpg

Screenshot_20181124_165534.jpg

Thanks for your advice again and appreciate it. How much would it roughly cost for a shell if I wanted one? Just looked closely at the wheel and quite a bit of paint rub etc. I guess this is probably to be expected on a RC car
Screenshot_20181124_165013.jpg.37b38e6bacaa9f224181cbae4414907d.jpg
Screenshot_20181124_164934.jpg.edda7008e363432bfb49dd0496850b90.jpg
Screenshot_20181124_165534.jpg.459fa9c6827c6d108e9c1813267c235a.jpg

Best advise I got with painting take your time tape everything up well and use some paint wipes to give you beat chance of a good paint job I used methylated spirits on clean micro fibre cloth and **** tape which lead to my front looking crap but that’s what you get for using cheap Poundland tape

18 hours ago, Lunaticflea said:

Hi all Right I have the money to buy my first RC and a novice when it comes to this. I have a budget of around £250 and undecided between a Nitro and Petrol. Want an off roader and not going to be looking at racing but more bashing (If that the terminology) ?

I'm in Lincolnshire, selling a 26cc FG Monster Truck great condition with new battery and charger included 

• Like 1

With the greatest of respect, if new to the hobby, a bit of paint rub would be the least of my worries when buying a second hand nitro rig...

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound/smell of nitro, but for a newb... well, you're a braver soul than me if you go down that road.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bertberr said:

With the greatest of respect, if new to the hobby, a bit of paint rub would be the least of my worries when buying a second hand nitro rig...

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound/smell of nitro, but for a newb... well, you're a braver soul than me if you go down that road.

Wasn't sure if missing paint was a sign of how many times it has had a tumble but as with most thinks I guess it's what's under the hood lol

Braver soul? Does that mean it will be too fast too handle or need more maintenance! Willing to listen to any advice

It won't be much different in performance to a decent BL 1/8 truggy, bit more top end perhaps, and bit less torque low down, but no, I'm sure you'd be alright with performance so long as you don't nail it in your kitchen on the first run...

It's more the maintenance side of things, even with a decent engine thats reliable for a nitro, the whole nitro scene is always going to be more grief than a BL setup.  And, furthermore, you have the whole 'anti-social' aspect to consider.  As I said I love the sound of a nitro having its neck wrung, but I guess I'm amongst a fairly small minority there in my local community.  If you're happy to field verbal abuse from all and sundry when out bashing (unless in the middle of nowhere), and you're happy with the extra maintenance/work both pre and post runs, then crack on.

• Like 1