• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Why are used Tamiya’s such crazy money...

300bhp/ton

I can understand if it’s a super rare model, extremely vintage (not 1990’s) or mint condition. 

But some just arent. Just seen a Bullhead not 100% sure but think it is an original. But it’s not as if these are super rare. Nowhere close to mint condition. £230 ? a brand new one is £249 delivered and you’ll get the enjoyment of building it. 

Best set of all. Just seen a re-issue Grasshopper on the bay. Unbuilt but being sold as used. Looks all there but don’t know. Has a load of bids on it and is now more expensive than buying a new one from ModelSport or my local high street model shop - wtf is wrong with people?

why is this??

1 minute ago, 300bhp/ton said:

I can understand if it’s a super rare model, extremely vintage (not 1990’s) or mint condition. 

But some just arent. Just seen a Bullhead not 100% sure but think it is an original. But it’s not as if these are super rare. Nowhere close to mint condition. £230 ? a brand new one is £249 delivered and you’ll get the enjoyment of building it. 

Best set of all. Just seen a re-issue Grasshopper on the bay. Unbuilt but being sold as used. Looks all there but don’t know. Has a load of bids on it and is now more expensive than buying a new one from ModelSport or my local high street model shop - wtf is wrong with people?

why is this??

I was looking at used clod busters the other day  and i was thinking no one is going to pay them prices. 

1 hour ago, 300bhp/ton said:

Has a load of bids on it and is now more expensive than buying a new one from ModelSport or my local high street model shop - wtf is wrong with people?

I routinely see people over pay on eBay, higher than retail.....

Popularity surge in the hobby × newb × trusted marketplace × looming christmas = ripped off customer...

I think more due diligence from the buyer to research before purchase is required!

• Thanks 1

I have come to detest the word "vintage".used to describe any tat that might or might not be old,but is almost certainly crap. Tamiya cars and parts are especially tainted by everyone on ebay as vintage. 

I am after a used CC01 but they all go silly money! 

I have sold Tamiya lunchbox's on ebay which I have done up, they go for way more than I ever expect, then you get the emails. Why is there no battery? How do you turn it on? Why does it allways wheelie? 

So yes the people buying these things just see Tamiya and think ohhhh there good and buy them, they don't think! 

Seem to get lucky with Mad Bulls at the moment, I have brought two for under £30, great when people advertise them wrong! 

The true vintage market should be reserved for unbuilt new in box orginal releases for rich people to hide in their spacious attic rooms.

I can also see why people would pay good money for rare or orignal models restored to a high standard. You are paying for the time and skill of the builder/restorer, but again...these are built to put on shelfs and look at rather than use.

Then there are the people who buy any old tat with Tamiya on the ad, and because it says it's "rare and sought after" and "vintage" that it is somehow worth a fortune. My other hobby is old motorcycles. And hte same crap happens there. I see bikes from the 70's/80's ( the current gropwth maket ) listed as rare and sought after....which absolutely are neither. People willing to pay £4000 for a 250 Superdream, a dull commuter in it's day that sold by the thousand thinking it 'rare and sought after' deserve to get ripped for their failure to actually check. Triumph, in the 50's and 60's made some great machionery for the time...and some rubbish. But the rubbish now fetches silly money because of the badge.

Just buying a badge.....

I was lucky. I never had a Tamiya back in the day, so never formed an irrational bond with them. If I buy a Tamiya it is with eyes open, and not for collecting. Along with the 'Tamiya Rule' .... put bearings in, put shocks in the bin.

If people are happy to buy at “x” price, sellers will be just as happy.

if it’s something you always wanted maybe as a kid, then nostalgia etc kick in and of course the price now won’t matter.

agree fully with the overuse of “vintage”  though...

5 hours ago, Gaz! said:

If people are happy to buy at “x” price, sellers will be just as happy.

if it’s something you always wanted maybe as a kid, then nostalgia etc kick in and of course the price now won’t matter.

agree fully with the overuse of “vintage”  though...

I get this, what I don't get is paying almost as much, the same or more than what you can buy new ones for now. I find it all very confusing.

7 hours ago, tamiyafanboy said:

Seem to get lucky with Mad Bulls at the moment, I have brought two for under £30, great when people advertise them wrong! 

These are one I keep trying to buy. I love the look of them, but know they are crap. And they are only £90 new with an ESC. I'll buy one eventually, but keep hoping to grab a tidy used one for £20-30. I just can't understand people paying more for them. There is a slightly scruffy one on ebay at the mo, £75!! They've got to be having a laugh, but the sad thing is, I'm, sure some mug will pay it.

3 hours ago, 300bhp/ton said:

These are one I keep trying to buy. I love the look of them, but know they are crap. And they are only £90 new with an ESC. I'll buy one eventually, but keep hoping to grab a tidy used one for £20-30. I just can't understand people paying more for them. There is a slightly scruffy one on ebay at the mo, £75!! They've got to be having a laugh, but the sad thing is, I'm, sure some mug will pay it.

Here's my kids two 

Its everything these days, not just rc's and motorbikes... £7500 for a bog std Maestro anyone? £11K for a Mk3 Capri 2.0?  £6K for a Metro 1.0?  As long as there's so much money sloshing around the economy, cheap credit, peeps looking for alternative homes for their savings or just looking for a the next big thing, asset classes of all types will continue to grow.  There's a sucker born every minute...

5 hours ago, 300bhp/ton said:

I get this, what I don't get is paying almost as much, the same or more than what you can buy new ones for now. I find it all very confusing.

Some people see eBay as a bricks and mortar type shop with the guaranteed money back thing they do now, which also means some are too lazy to shop around....