• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Charger advice for 4s and 6s

Mike_J_Smith

2 hours ago, QRC said:

I am talking about any cloned or copied chargers/PSU. Not worth the risk, have seen the aftermath of dodgy electronic equipment, not good.?

This is in my opinion and from personal experience.

They're all copies of each other these days.

My Turnigy 1000w is exactly the same as the Skyrc and the Hyperion equivalent. Cost me £50 new and is 4 years old now.

The Hyperion is £150, big difference.

I think my good life span is down to only using 50% of it's capacity. It's when you run them flat out you get problems.

I have an expensive Chargery S1500 power supply to run it because back then I didn't know about the ebay ones.

I would have no worries about using one of those 24v 1000w ebay jobs for power as I have 2* 36v 350w units running the small cnc mill.

Best advice from me if you're looking at the cheaper alternatives/copies would be:

1. Work out what your batteries would require using the ohms law formula to charge at 1C.

2. Double the figure you got from it.

3. Look for a charger capable of that figure.

4. If it needs a separate psu then go at least 20% bigger than the charger.

For example using 6s

1. A single 6s 5000mah needs (22.2v*5A=111+10%= 122.1w @ 5.5A

2. *2 gives you 244w 11A.

3. Look for at least 250w 11A

4. +20% = 300w 13A+ psu

To parallel 2 of them double it again to #3. 500w 22A & #4. 600w 26A.

Using 4s

1. 14.8v*5A=74w 5A+10%= 81.4w 5.5A

2. *2 gives you 163w 11A

3. Look for one at least the above figure (a 150w will do in this case)

4. +20% = 196w 13A

Double again to parallel 2 of them.

The Amp outputs are a rough guide because at those wattage's equipment has generally higher Amperage outputs anyway.

As long as you don't go lower than the figures suggested.

You'll be running at 50% and will last well.

One other thing is chargers have mostly popped caps etc on discharge. Best to use max 75% of it's potential, discharge in the vehicle or make a halogen light box with a lipo alarm fitted.

Edited by dazp1976

13 minutes ago, Mike_J_Smith said:

It was from one of the links in your post; 12v 600w 50A.

the AR1 is 11-18v input, I couldn’t find a similar 18v psu. Hopefully 12v should be fine. Would I be right in thinking I could hook up two chargers to that PSU (provided there are enough connectors at the back)? So I could get a 100-150w one as well for smaller tasks. 

Or I could upgrade to a beefier one in the future. Anyway, this was cheapest option all round and should do what I need for the foreseeable future.

Ah different charger to the one I saw earlier then. I've only seen the expensive power supplies give out up to 18v.

You can put a few chargers on that supply.

Basically with the 12v 50A 600w unit You could borderline have 4 chargers doing a 6s each. (22.2*20A= 444w+10%= 485w 22A.

I would stick with up to a maximum of 3 though, the more chargers the more the efficiency loss.

But that's based on 6s which is 18 cells (3 lipo's).  Could comfortably do 5*4s batteries (20 cells) on 2-3 chargers with that supply. Should last you well :good:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dazp1976 said:

Ah different charger to the one I saw earlier then. I've only seen the expensive power supplies give out up to 18v.

You can put a few chargers on that supply.

Basically with the 12v 50A 600w unit You could borderline have 4 chargers doing a 6s each. (22.2*20A= 444w+10%= 485w 22A.

I would stick with up to a maximum of 3 though, the more chargers the more the efficiency loss.

But that's based on 6s which is 18 cells (3 lipo's).  Could comfortably do 5*4s batteries (20 cells) on 2-3 chargers with that supply. Should last you well :good:

Thanks for all your help

16 hours ago, QRC said:

I am talking about any cloned or copied chargers/PSU. Not worth the risk, have seen the aftermath of dodgy electronic equipment, not good.?

Like they're not exactly identical and made by the exact same people who put a different sticker on them ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QRC said:

Heard that theory, for the over caution can you prove it ??.??

Dude if youre happy paying £100 for a sticker than go for it. If anything the Dynamite is probably a licensed re brand of the EV Peak, not the other way round. I doubt Dynamite make a single thing. They just license them from companies like EV Peak. 

You are however paying for warranty and distribution. IF youve bought a £240 charger from Wheelspin and it does break within the warranty period Im confident that Horizon would sort you out.

If this happened to the EV Peak? Good Luck dealing with Tom Top or Bang Good

That said, for a £100 saving I'd just factor in I can but two?

44 minutes ago, jamesp2812 said:

I run a xbox original power brick converted to run my imax b6 balance charger.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Would take at least 2 hrs 30 mins for a 5000mah 6s lipo though on a B6.

But yes the xbox mod works well. Best one to use is the 203w version or higher hooked up to 2 of the 80w Turnigy chargers.

Still borderline for 1C on higher capacity 4s and too under par for 6s. For those you want at least the 150w Turnigy

Need some confidence to hack the brick, relatively simple but some are not keen to do it.

• Like 1

Would take at least 2 hrs 30 mins for a 5000mah 6s lipo though on a B6.
But yes the xbox mod works well. Best one to use is the 203w version or higher hooked up to 2 of the 80w Turnigy chargers.
Still borderline for 1C on higher capacity 4s and too under par for 6s. For those you want at least the 150w Turnigy

Need some confidence to hack the brick, relatively simple but some are not keen to do it.
Very true did forget to say that the imax is for up to 3s really. I would not charge anything beyond that on it.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk