• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Charger advice for 4s and 6s

Mike_J_Smith

Hi,

I know this has been asked lots of times, but I don't understand watts and voltages etc!

I'm looking for something relatively future-proofed, so able to charge / discharge 2-4 x 4s or 6s batteries of decent mAH (I have 5000mAH 4s batteries at the moment).

Does that mean separate PSU & charger unit?  If so, can someone recommend what / where to buy from.

I want plug and play; I don't mind soldering etc on cars, but power supplies I wouldn't be comfortable with.

Budget wise; cheaper is better but if it could be sub £100 that would be great, even if that mean buying enough to do only 1 or 2 batteries at a time now and adding to it later.

Cheers, Mike

37 minutes ago, 53HRA said:

I run this, and it will do everything you need https://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-rc-d100-ac-dc-dual-balance-charger-discharger/rc-car-products/395770

You can also buy the Bluetooth module for it, so you can use your phone as a remote to programme the charger :)

That looks good.  To get the most from it (2 x 100w) it needs a DC input?  Do you use one?  Any ideas on sourcing one?

Lots of laptop chargers come up on ebay if i search for 18v DC power supply; would they be sufficient or how can I work out what is needed?

Wattage requirements get quite high if you want to do 6s at 1C.

Ohms law and my digital display shows:

In terms of power requirement with a 4s 5000mah I use 80w 5A.

A 6s 5000mah I use125w 5A.

That D100 imo is no use unless you use a separate psu to make use of it's 2*100w available.

With AC it's only 2*50w which is well under par.

Been there.

2 minutes ago, Mike_J_Smith said:

That looks good.  To get the most from it (2 x 100w) it needs a DC input?  Do you use one?  Any ideas on sourcing one?

Lots of laptop chargers come up on ebay if i search for 18v DC power supply; would they be sufficient or how can I work out what is needed?

These will do the job:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-300W-DC-12V-25A-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-For-LED-Light-Strip/253755884041?epid=8021501340&hash=item3b15078209:g:5T0AAOSw~vNaybX2

20 minutes ago, Mike_J_Smith said:

If your batteries are all the same size in either 4s or 6s then I parallel them up with higher power. It's more efficient.

Or to have the option of 2C charging each on it's own.

I'd get:

https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/default/isdt-sc-620-500w-20a-mini-smart-lcd-battery-balance-charger.html

It takes up to 32v input so get this with it: 24v 480w or 24v 600w.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-5V-12V-24V-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-for-LED-Strip-CCTV-UK/162562112782?hash=item25d974fd0e:m:mXMYO2lbiTGq8KoJbasPG4Q

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-AC-5V-12V-24V-48V-Universal-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-LED-LED-3D-PSU/173382227388?hash=item285e62d5bc:m:m32F17_lNnJIG7CMOURB-Dg

Then a para board to suit or get a parallel harness for balance and main leads.

This setup will charge anything you throw at it :good:

I have an equivalent of this:

https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/default/hyperion-eos-0840i-dc-charger-8cell.html

Edited by dazp1976
  • Like 1

Amazing; thanks for coming back with all of that.

I have some more questions though!

1) For the power supply unit, do I just get a normal plug and wire it into the live, neutral and earth on the unit then take one of the V- & V+ into an XT60 to attach to the charger?  Dumb question, but just so I'm clear!  As I said, I don't like playing with mains electricity! Is a 13amp plug sufficient?

2) Something like this would work for parallel charging?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-parallel-charging-board-for-6-packs-2-6s-xt-60.html

3) when parallel charging, will the auto-cut offs still work? Do they work individually work on each battery so if one was 50% charged and the other 75%, it wouldn't damage the one at 75% by charging it for too long?

Thanks again, this is very helpful.

Save up and get one these,

https://www.wirelessmadness.com/dynamite-prophet-sport-quad-4-x-100w-ac-dc-lipo-life-nimh-and-pb-battery-charger-dync2050uk?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo7zIgrfJ3AIV7JztCh0RBQmXEAQYASABEgLgfvD_BwE

worth every penny and no separate PSU with cables running all over the place ??

Edited by QRC
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dazp1976 said:

Too many options!

For the second one, could I parallel charge on that?  There is one for sale on the forum, but with a 200W power supply which I don't think is enough?  But I could get the power supply you mentioned and use that.

What is a regenerative function?! Lol - I have no idea what I'm doing here!

I like the simplicity of the all in one though; a bit ouchy on price but i guess it's all roughly the same ballpark.

1 hour ago, Mike_J_Smith said:

Amazing; thanks for coming back with all of that.

I have some more questions though!

1) For the power supply unit, do I just get a normal plug and wire it into the live, neutral and earth on the unit then take one of the V- & V+ into an XT60 to attach to the charger?  Dumb question, but just so I'm clear!  As I said, I don't like playing with mains electricity! Is a 13amp plug sufficient?

2) Something like this would work for parallel charging?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-parallel-charging-board-for-6-packs-2-6s-xt-60.html

3) when parallel charging, will the auto-cut offs still work? Do they work individually work on each battery so if one was 50% charged and the other 75%, it wouldn't damage the one at 75% by charging it for too long?

Thanks again, this is very helpful.

1. Spot on. I use them in the cnc.

2. Yep.

3. Eleccy is a dark magic. The batteries volt match themselves to each other when parallel. The main thing is not to mis-match cell counts ie: put a 4 and a 6 on. Best practice is to have the packs at as close as possible to each other in cell voltages ie: 3.8v storage. If they're too far out they can surge a lot of current between each other when first connected whilst volt matching.

I've never had any problem putting on 4*6s batteries at 1C when they were between 3.76 & 3.82v per cell. By the time they're finished they're all exactly the same as each other.

• Like 1

One more question, can the EV-Peak "copy" of the prophet sport do everything it claims to from AC, or will it need a DC power supply as well?

Edited by Mike_J_Smith
typo

3 minutes ago, Mike_J_Smith said:

Too many options!

For the second one, could I parallel charge on that?  There is one for sale on the forum, but with a 200W power supply which I don't think is enough?  But I could get the power supply you mentioned and use that.

What is a regenerative function?! Lol - I have no idea what I'm doing here!

I like the simplicity of the all in one though; a bit ouchy on price but i guess it's all roughly the same ballpark.

Yes you can parallel on the second one.

Regenerative is for discharging. Normally when discharging you are limited by the chargers ability to take it through the psu etc.

With regenerative you can hook up a big 12v car battery that is part charged and discharge into that. It quadruples and more the amount of watts/amps you can discharge at.

10 minutes ago, Mike_J_Smith said:

One more question, can the EV-Peak "copy" of the prophet sport do everything it claims to from AC, or will it need a DC power supply as well?

As far as I'm aware it has a 500w AC psu built in to it the same as the prophet. It should be able to manage no problem with one that size in it.

In normal practice you get a 10% efficiency loss while charging so one would assume the extra 100w built in is to cover that loss.

Downside is that one has an EU plug :rolleyes:

Edited by dazp1976

OK, thanks for all the help.

Need to have a think on this.  Even the EV-Peak wouldn't have enough juice for a 5000mAH 6s from what you've said above (ideally 125W); but I don't even have those batteries yet!  Future proof vs simplicity of the EV-Peak.

Do not go near any of the clones or copies of branded chargers, to much could go wrong, otherwise you will have visit from the water fairies !!.

Edited by QRC

2 hours ago, QRC said:

Jesus!! Horizon have ruined everything with their price changes! I paid £157 for my one of those about 2 years ago!

2 hours ago, QRC said:

Do not go near any of the clones or copies of branded chargers, to much could go wrong, otherwise you will have visit from the water fairies !!.

Does this include the EV-Peak 4 x 100w charger linked above?  If so, do you mean that specific link is a clone or just that model in general?  Definitely don't want to set fire to anything!

2 hours ago, Guns said:

Thanks for that.  I'm narrowing down the options now!

I run my charger off a 500W power supply. Cost me about £20...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/500w-Builder-Black-12cm-PSU-Power-Supply-Unit-SATA-Computer/1505350550?iid=362388533221

search YouTube for the many articles to turn that into a 12V supply. The main power output rail is at 12V. You also have assorted other voltage outputs...but the 'yellow' wires are all 12V. You just bundle them all together, solder on a connector, and do the same with the black 'earth' wires. Job done. I built mine into a charging station for ease. A cheap 500W supply may not give a full 500w .... but it will be enough for your needs. You still need a charger.....but I got mine used off here.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

On the basis that if I overthink things it'll take ages, I've bought the charger from the guy selling one on here (EV-Peak AR1) and ordered a 600W PSU off ebay, that way I can upgrade in the future and do everything I need to do now.

33 minutes ago, Mike_J_Smith said:

Thanks for all the replies.

On the basis that if I overthink things it'll take ages, I've bought the charger from the guy selling one on here (EV-Peak AR1) and ordered a 600W PSU off ebay, that way I can upgrade in the future and do everything I need to do now.

Is that the 500w 25A jobbie?

Should do the business. Have you checked the AR1's input voltage?

Is it one that can take up to 32v?

If it's anything like my Turnigy, if you use a 12v supply the charger limits itself to only having half it's full power available.

It'll still do the job on a 6s lipo or 2 though :good:

4 hours ago, Guns said:

4 hours ago, Guns said:

Jesus!! Horizon have ruined everything with their price changes! I paid £157 for my one of those about 2 years ago!

It's mental!!!! If I ever got rid of most of my stuff the charge gear is still staying just in case. Would cost me about £400 for the same gear now. I paid about £260. It's now 4 years old.

13 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

Is that the 500w 25A jobbie?

Should do the business. Have you checked the AR1's input voltage?

Is it one that can take up to 32v?

If it's anything like my Turnigy, if you use a 12v supply the charger limits itself to only having half it's full power available.

It'll still do the job on a 6s lipo or 2 though :good:

It was from one of the links in your post; 12v 600w 50A.

the AR1 is 11-18v input, I couldn’t find a similar 18v psu. Hopefully 12v should be fine. Would I be right in thinking I could hook up two chargers to that PSU (provided there are enough connectors at the back)? So I could get a 100-150w one as well for smaller tasks. 

Or I could upgrade to a beefier one in the future. Anyway, this was cheapest option all round and should do what I need for the foreseeable future.