• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Scale tire test on video.

Lmao, yeah I mean all the courses and terrain I usually run and compete on is shiny wood.

where in that line up does Pitbull tires compare? Or even proline hyrax? No he used swampers (yeah more suited to mud), even no rc4wd tyres.

@RCbutcher, I wouldn’t go by what he says, the climate and terrain is completely different this side of the pond.

on that note, I bought a set of the above hyrax on the say of many well respected chaps on a u.s. based forum.

and whilst they are very good in the dry, they are completely crap in mud or wet, whereas pitbull tires work in all conditions over here.

Lmao, yeah I mean all the courses and terrain I usually run and compete on is shiny wood.

where in that line up does Pitbull tires compare? Or even proline hyrax? No he used swampers (yeah more suited to mud), even no rc4wd tyres.

[mention=25875]RCbutcher[/mention], I wouldn’t go by what he says, the climate and terrain is completely different this side of the pond.

on that note, I bought a set of the above hyrax on the say of many well respected chaps on a u.s. based forum.
and whilst they are very good in the dry, they are completely crap in mud or wet, whereas pitbull tires work in all conditions over here.

Second that one.
I put hyraxes on my SCX10 crawler with CI foams and they're tremendous in the dry on rock but poor in comparison to my the swampers I now have on there for general day to day crawling around mud and rocks, usually wet weather.
Hyrax are now on my son's Wraith for go faster fun. They're well suited to that [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I wonder how much effect the wheel diameter has on an artificial test like that, it must effect the weight distribution and torque angles through the suspension.  The smaller wheels seemed (I just skipped through tbh) to do better, but wouldn't be as good in the real world clearing obstacles.

Some tires also improve with use and I couldn't tell if they were all new.  The TRX4 with the lugs cut looked like they had a fair bit more use than the stock ones.

23 hours ago, ghazghul said:

Some tires also improve with use and I couldn't tell if they were all new.  The TRX4 with the lugs cut looked like they had a fair bit more use than the stock ones.

Very true, my Mickey Thompson MTZ have softened even more, and they were soft out the pack.

My 1.9 flat irons are very good so far but I've not had a really good wet mud run with them yet, and looking at the forecast that may be some time to come!!
Probably preaching to the converted here but getting the right foams is as important as the right tyre in my opinion. I took a set of 'stock' Ripsaws (2.2) that had been on a Wraith for a year and changed the foams out to CI foams and it was really night and day difference.
For Proline tyres I try to run their own foams and haven't been disappointed in that choice. Better yet they're available in the UK!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

On 27/06/2018 at 11:33, The Dark Knight said:

Which 1.9" tyres would you recomend for UK mud @big gaz?

I was tempted to get Hyrax but a few folk have said that about them not being great when wet.

Mate, if money is no object or you plan on splashing out just the once, got to be Pitbull tires, they have insane grip, look very good, the wear rate is excellent too.

the downsides are of course the price and the fact they don’t have a uk supplier. (easily available from Rc mart who mostly deliver faster than some uk based shops). I have found the newer stock foams to be fine but crawler innovations would set you up perfect combo.

dont get me wrong, I love the hyrax’s in the dry, it’s amazing how they propel my trx4 up dry rock but that’s just not good enough for us in the u.k.

this is based on my experience and opinion only.

hope this helps a bit mate ? ??

The same guy on the same Youtube channel the OP posted does tyre tests with the Hyrax and other scale tyres on dry wood, wet wood, dry rock etc
Does some very good comparison videos on other stuff from popular servos to brushed and brushless motors