• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Brushless Buggy Recommendations

53HRA

After playing around with a 2s Rock Racer, 3s SC (which I both find great!), I am now looking for a 4s+ buggy. After some research & watching various youtube videos, I have narrowed my choices down to the following:

Losi 8eight-E

HPI Trophy Flux

Arrma Typhoon

Hobao Hyper VSE

Is there any other model that I have missed which fits the criteria? and which model would you go for out of the above? :good: 

Ps: Would prefer something straight out of the box ready to go 

The Losi 8ight RTR is a waste if money. £100 more expensive than a Typhon and has a much worse spec in terms of equipment. The TLR 8ight 4.0 kit is a different matter but it's another £100 on top.

Not a lot of experience with 4wd buggies, but Arrma has a good rep. Spares shouldn't be too much of an issue despite the Horizon takeover, most of us order online now anyway! 

On that note, I think I might scrape the necessary funds together for a Senton! 

I have a Losi 8 2.0 EU converted to brushless thats never been anything but reliable, having said that its been sat on shelf since June last year lol but when running was solid

VSe for me - it's solid and reliable.  Gaining traction around the world on the track too.  It's an atypical Hobao - mix and match of Hyper 7, 8 and SS models.  Unlike the SS though hop ups aren't eye wateringly expensive.

I've a friend whose had his regularly over a 100mph with no issues.  The RTR only comes with a 100a esc, it's a good one though - Hobbywing, and a 2000kv motor.  Personally I'd get the 80% kit version and put my own electrics in - 150a esc and a fake castle 2650kv motor for blisteringly quick 4S running.

14 minutes ago, sunny said:

I have a Losi 8 2.0 EU converted to brushless thats never been anything but reliable, having said that its been sat on shelf since June last year lol but when running was solid

The 2.0 and the new RTR have very little in common save diff housing, centre diff, the diffs themselves. Other parts are interchangeable but the parts aren't the same.

I have a 8ight truggy for sale brushless ready if you want to swing that way, you will need to add electrics wheels and a shell but it will be considerably cheaper than buying a new buggy, and this truggy is excellent, takes anything I throw at it, bashing, racing, tarmac, skateparks the lot! 

I have the Hyper VS and the Trophy flux. If i'm honest the Trophy needs a lot of upgrades and a bulkhead to bulkhead brace to be bashable in any big way. After a few years of the Trophy i got the Hyper VS roller, put my choice of electrics in and it has been a solid buggy and never broken anything.

When it comes to Arrma i have the Talion and it's been awesome, only ever bent a shock shaft in the 2 years ive owned it. I know the Typhon is just as if not more durable being the buggy version. Also the Arrma's come with Hobbywing motor and ESC.

Hyper VS or Arrma Typhon V3 2018 spec would be my choice.

Edited by RCpete

Hi daz ive been meaning to ask you if the D812 accepts all vorza parts. Inc brushless conversion. I like the vorza motor mount clamp. Looks better than rc monster i think. 

Also is it possible for the hot bodies rgt8 parts to fit even if shocks and chassis is needed. Its mayb an 8th all in one im hoping.