• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Charging multiple Lipos

RobFandango

Hi guys,

I have a more powerful charger on route but I wondered if I was using this charger correctly.

i was told when buying that this was a balance charger? Am I supposed to be plugging 2 batteries in? After watching some videos apparently I’m supposed to trim the plug and plug one into each connector? This will balance them?

still learning about Lipos and don’t want to do something I’m not supposed to

http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/product/ET0225/etronix-powerpal-ez-4-50w-lipo-2-4s-ac-charger-uk-plug

thanks guys.

The charger you are showing is a 2s,3s,4s charger , there is only one port  for one battery ,  the balance port is used to balance the lipo 

so plug your battery in to the charger lead , and plug the balance lead from your battery into the charger balance port , either 2,3,4s , you should not be cutting anything off , if you wanted to do say 2 batteries together then you would need to parallel charge using a parallel board .

Just noticed the charger doesn’t have a charge lead port or lcd display , so it’s only using the balance port to charge 

the charger is very basic and over priced for what you can buy , hopefully your new charger will be better than the old one .

Edited by WiLLiE

I’m confused, I have been charging by plugging the little white 4 pin plug into the middle hole on the charger.

is that incorrect? I got no cables with the charger, so I have been using just the little 4pin white lead on batteries not the dean connector.

1 minute ago, RobFandango said:

I’m confused, I have been charging by plugging the little white 4 pin plug into the middle hole on the charger.

is that incorrect? I got no cables with the charger, so I have been using just the little 4pin white lead on batteries not the dean connector.

Yes my bad did not see it hadn’t got a standard 4mm charge port , edited my first post .

4 minutes ago, WiLLiE said:

Yes my bad did not see it hadn’t got a standard 4mm charge port , edited my first post .

The fact that it’s got two ports, does that not mean I can insert two Lipos and charge at the same time?

11 minutes ago, RobFandango said:

The fact that it’s got two ports, does that not mean I can insert two Lipos and charge at the same time?

Are we talking about the charger in the link ?. If you are refering to that charger then no only one battery at a time using the correct balance port .

Edited by WiLLiE

It’s been charging one 3s at a time fine, it’s quick too. I have a more powerful charger on route for the 4s, I suppose I’ll just keep this for 2/3s when I only want to charge one at a time.

thanks guys, was £25 when I bought it, came as a set and recommended by local model shop. I suppose should always check on the net first!

Edited by RobFandango

As you have received DB-e and looking at an X Maxx, two power hungry models, lots of 3 and 4s bats to charge, in the not distant future, get one of these and some balance boards,

https://www.wirelessmadness.com/dynamite-prophet-sport-quad-4-x-100w-ac-dc-lipo-life-nimh-and-pb-battery-charger-dync2050uk?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Onk3MSM2gIVbpPtCh1EGAXfEAQYASABEgKEF_D_BwE

Thanks QRC, I do think that will be the ultimate. I’ve bought in the meantime an overlander D100 a late suggested on this site. It’s arrived today and looks a great bit of kit, was £80 I think.

im sure I’ll end up upgrading to be able to charge 4 at a time!

Personal preference but if I was spending £200 on a charger setup it would involve an external psu, a couple 300w+ chargers and a bunch of parallel boards.

More versatile/powerful overall :good:

Personally I prefer the "clean" look of a charger like the dynamite Prophet, internal PSU means less cables. Also, i'm electronically retarded so a plug and play charger which can charge 4 packs at once by just plugging it straight into the wall suits me perfectly! :) 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, James1986 said:

Personally I prefer the "clean" look of a charger like the dynamite Prophet, internal PSU means less cables. Also, i'm electronically retarded so a plug and play charger which can charge 4 packs at once by just plugging it straight into the wall suits me perfectly! :) 

Totally agree with you, can’t stand leads spilling out everywhere, keep that all in one big charger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QRC said:

As you have received DB-e and looking at an X Maxx, two power hungry models, lots of 3 and 4s bats to charge, in the not distant future, get one of these and some balance boards,

https://www.wirelessmadness.com/dynamite-prophet-sport-quad-4-x-100w-ac-dc-lipo-life-nimh-and-pb-battery-charger-dync2050uk?language=en&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Onk3MSM2gIVbpPtCh1EGAXfEAQYASABEgKEF_D_BwE

I paid £150 for mine before Horizon screwed everyone with their price increases! Yet Traxxas are the bad guy!

1 hour ago, James1986 said:

55 minutes ago, QRC said:

Totally agree with you, can’t stand leads spilling out everywhere, keep that all in one big charger.

FINALLY!!! Thought I was the only one against external PSU’s

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Guns said:

FINALLY!!! Thought I was the only one against external PSU’s

Hence why I only have Apple products, very good looking and all in one box, and they just work !!. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ross9999992 said:

Personal preference but if I was spending £200 on a charger setup it would involve an external psu, a couple 300w+ chargers and a bunch of parallel boards.

More versatile/powerful overall :good:

Thats what I've recently done.  Before I had an Overlander D100 but I've now bought 2 x server PSU's, 2 x 300w Reaktor chargers, a couple of parallel boards and built it all into a nice little case. 24v outlet for the Reaktors and a 12v outlet for the Overlander. So much easier then waiting on one charger all the time

Edited by stonedef

1 hour ago, QRC said:

Hence why I only have Apple products, very good looking and all in one box, and they just work !!. :thumbsup:

And just like Traxxas, Half the product for twice the money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babylon said:

And just like Traxxas, Half the product for twice the money.

Each to their own, you are paying that bit extra for a far superior product... Very much like RC at times....:mf_tongue:

Hence why I only have Apple products, very good looking and all in one box, and they just work !!. [emoji106]
Hmmmm lady at work today...

I would like to copy my video over from my old android phone to my iPhone and I can't use iCloud because it's full....

Plug android phone in to PC, oh yes just works get file and copy paste, perfect, now to put it in iPhone, oh no you need iTunes or other software to copy and paste in iPhone.

Bluetooth dongle for VW group programming and diagnostics won't work with iPhone due to their proprietary Bluetooth protocol.

Headphones......

How is that just working? I hate apple products give me an android phone any day!

The point here is not everything is as it seems sometimes an all in one is not just plug and play it can have it's downsides (blowing a PSU no more charger)

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Gavster29 said:

Hmmmm lady at work today...

I would like to copy my video over from my old android phone to my iPhone and I can't use iCloud because it's full....

Plug android phone in to PC, oh yes just works get file and copy paste, perfect, now to put it in iPhone, oh no you need iTunes or other software to copy and paste in iPhone.

Bluetooth dongle for VW group programming and diagnostics won't work with iPhone due to their proprietary Bluetooth protocol.

Headphones......

How is that just working? I hate apple products give me an android phone any day!

The point here is not everything is as it seems sometimes an all in one is not just plug and play it can have it's downsides (blowing a PSU no more charger)

Ive had an iPhone since when ever the 3 came out, and have a Watch, iPad Pro, iPad air and an iMac so its all easy for me in terms of the cloud. Id have exactly the same issues that the lady had if I went over to Android from iOs. Or Macos to Windows. Her issue is changing to a new software, not because Apple is being awkward. 

I use the Wifi OBD fault reader and (paid) app to clear and diagnose faults on my own VW with no issues. 

Ive been using wireless Bluetooth headphones since way before the headphone socket dissapeared on my Phone. The adapter is included in the box for you to use 3,5mm jack should you want to. 

Just some counter points mate....

Funny Ive never seen an Apple user randomly start telling an Android user how bad their chosen product is compared to theirs, yet Android people always seem to try and bring this up? Very weird....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RobFandango said:

It’s been charging one 3s at a time fine, it’s quick too. I have a more powerful charger on route for the 4s, I suppose I’ll just keep this for 2/3s when I only want to charge one at a time.

thanks guys, was £25 when I bought it, came as a set and recommended by local model shop. I suppose should always check on the net first!

NEVER go by a shop recommendation. Generally they just want to get rid of stuff.

Always ask here or research yourself first.

For example. tell us what lipo's you have, how many you want to do together, someone will do the math, and then tell you your basic requirement in amps and volts.

Once you have that info you can go searching for your ideal unit and not be disappointed with results.

Edited by dazp1976

9 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

NEVER go by a shop recommendation. Generally they just want to get rid of stuff.

Always ask here or research yourself first.

For example. tell us what lipo's you have, how many you want to do together, someone will do the math, and then tell you your basic requirement in amps and volts.

Once you have that info you can go searching for your ideal unit and not be disappointed with results.

Thanks, yep seems like a good bunch on here. Im going to try and stick with the Gens Ace 4S batteries for the bigger stuff and I'm going to need some 2S batteries for racing, probably be Core RC. I have some 3S batteries for crawlers. I can see me buying the Dynamite as I also don't want to be making a box and messing around with external PSU just to charge some batteries, for now ill stick with charging 2 at a time for a while until I decide to take the plunge.

• Like 1

Ive had an iPhone since when ever the 3 came out, and have a Watch, iPad Pro, iPad air and an iMac so its all easy for me in terms of the cloud. Id have exactly the same issues that the lady had if I went over to Android from iOs. Or Macos to Windows. Her issue is changing to a new software, not because Apple is being awkward. 

I use the Wifi OBD fault reader and (paid) app to clear and diagnose faults on my own VW with no issues. 

Ive been using wireless Bluetooth headphones since way before the headphone socket dissapeared on my Phone. The adapter is included in the box for you to use 3,5mm jack should you want to. 

Just some counter points mate....

Funny Ive never seen an Apple user randomly start telling an Android user how bad their chosen product is compared to theirs, yet Android people always seem to try and bring this up? Very weird....
Hmmmm bit off topic but feel I should respond.....

Going from Apple to Android wouldn't have had the same problems, why because you can copy from the device to a PC but not back to the phone, why, who knows!

I'm really glad you spent so much on your Apple products and of course they work with themselves, you pay for that privilege I have nothing against them but I wouldn't use them.

As for the ODB reader I can actually program any VW, Seat, Skoda, Audi, some Bentley's it's not a generic reader it is VAG specific and is as good as VW own software, however it's not Apple compatible.

Each to their own which was my point, if you want a plug in charger get one it will work, if you want something more or run multiple chargers with DC the chargers are cheaper with more options.

Not once did i say android was better than apple but you read it that way and I am fine with your insecurity.