• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HobbyKing returns policy - Lipos

Nickarla

Has anyone ever received a faulty battery or had one that developed a fault soon after? I read that they have a returns policy but only if it is dead on arrival...and it must be sent recorded delivery to Germany!

Is this right? I assume if bought from the UK warehouse then the UK consumer protection act would suggest otherwise but wondered if anyone had any issues/experiences with this?

Yeah personally unless it was a more expensive 4/5/6S pack, I wouldn't bother, life's too short. I take the view that with the amount of money I've saved over the years sourcing all my lipos from HK as opposed to say my LHS or even MS, if I get the odd dud cell every now and then, well so be it.

I've never had to return one - after all what courier would knowingly carry a defective lipo :nuke:

Had a few of those red hardcase 2S zippy packs (avoid like the plague folks) - they arrived fine, charged first time, ran ten minutes on the flat and promptly wouldn't charge.  Known fault they break internal connections just by breaking wind in the vicinity.  Spoke to chat before raising an RMA, made a video of said lipo connected to charger and voltage checker.  Refund. 

Lipos went on the patio, and with the help of my neighbor (a fireman ;) ) we punctured one and filmed it.  Quite a sight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

I've never had to return one - after all what courier would knowingly carry a defective lipo :nuke:

Good point.

The thing is, I’m introducing a friend into rc and don’t want him to get a dud and then for me to be accountable (I feel like I would be).

So the general consensus is that HK don’t do returns, warranties etc?

Saying that, if purchasing from the UK store they MUST pay for the return of faulty items however, it’s enforcing it that’s an issue. Maybe just pay with credit card and use charge back if they don’t play fair.

11 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Spoke to chat before raising an RMA, made a video of said lipo connected to charger and voltage checker.  Refund. 

Ok, maybe they do...that’s a little more reassuring. Did you buy from UK, EU or Global? Does it make a difference?

Edited by Nickarla

UK usually, occasionally eu.

1 hour ago, Nickarla said:

Ok, maybe they do...that’s a little more reassuring. Did you buy from UK, EU or Global? Does it make a difference?

Not sure 

In case anyone's never seen one:

1 minute ago, Nickarla said:

I bet that'll be pleasant in the confines of a house. Dont think I would want to be breathing that in. Where do you guys keep Lipos in the winter when its freezing outside?

Lipo bag / Lipo safe in the conservatory.  Check regularly but not excessive.  Highest risk is when charging / discharging hard (under load in an RC) or in use and hit by a pebble etc (soft case).

1 minute ago, Badkad said:

What'd happened to that one?

Internal connection issue.  One cell was full, other part but couldn't be charged / discharged without opening it up.

Long Pole, metal shears on end.  Pokey pokey.

I was thinking about getting a soft case Lipo for the Bugsta but putting a hard cover under it. This protects it from the ground but enables you to see any swelling or potential issues from an earlier stage.

4 minutes ago, capri-boy said:

Not fully no.

I cant see how you can actually stop the smoke to be honest. Some say keep them in a fridge which would stop the smoke but some say its too cold and potentially lead to condensation issues.

Edited by Nickarla

1 minute ago, Nickarla said:

I was thinking about getting a soft case Lipo for the Bugsta but putting a hard cover under it. This protects it from the ground but enables you to see any swelling or potential issues from an earlier stage.

I've very few soft case lipos, and much prefer hardcased wherever possible.  I've seen softcase punctured at the end of a footy field and the after effects by the time someone's sprinted down to examine the remains.  All lipo's swell, but under normal use only a small amount, and the go back down too.  You know if a hardcase has swelled to hard as it will open the case.

2 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

I cant see how you can actually stop the smoke to be honest. Some say keep them in a fridge which would but some say its too cold.

The risk is minimal if used, stored and monitored.  Charge in a lipo bag (and I used to out that inside a ceramic plant pot).  If somethings amiss grab the bag and throw it out the door.

Hard cases aren't as tough as you think and LiPos can take much more abuse than most realise.

The picture below is a 4s, myself and my Dad took to a disused quarry, we were launching it at the wall as hard as possible and dropping the biggest rocks we could lift (the size of the ones near the battery) from a ledge about 15' up and the damn thing didn't explode or set fire, I saw one tiny whiff of smoke and that was it, as you can see, we did quite a number on it as well!

As for returns, I had two issues lately, firstly, the dimensions on 3 LiPos I ordered were wrong, so I returned them, the claims process was a little bit slow, probably not helped by how busy they will be with the sale they have on, but I did eventually get all my money back.

Then a more recent one, I ordered a few and one of them is puffed on one side, it's actually about 4mm thicker on one side and I really didn't fancy risking it, I refused point blank to send it back and they just refunded me within 48 hours for it.

I might actually do another destructive test on the swollen one at some point, but we don't get out as much to do it now.

FYI; I know I could have simply stabbed it to set it off, but I thought I would test how much abuse the cells can take.

16j3qt1.jpg

2 hours ago, capri-boy said:

The risk is minimal if used, stored and monitored.  Charge in a lipo bag (and I used to out that inside a ceramic plant pot).  If somethings amiss grab the bag and throw it out the door.

Yup, throw it onto a (preferably) non-combustable area

DO NOT put it in water.

22 minutes ago, James1986 said:

And there ladies and gents is the exact reason why I don't charge in Lipo sacks - these things need to be monitored!

Exactly this, see the signs of an issue at the very earliest you can.

This is also the reason I have a fire extinguisher in my bedroom where my stuff is stored.