• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Proline Pro MT 4x4 Thread

.AJ.

52 minutes ago, Leo Best said:

Thanks for that. I watched the video. Not quite convinced that a monster truck is for me, despite how well made the Pro MT 4x4 is and how well it performs.

Yup, I know what you mean, I run it when my mate brings his stampede out to keep him company. If im on my own I tend to use my 1/8 buggy or truggy.

2 hours ago, Leo Best said:

Thanks for that. I watched the video. Not quite convinced that a monster truck is for me, despite how well made the Pro MT 4x4 is and how well it performs.

Even a buggy flips over sometimes, it totally depends on the setup and how bad you driving is, also the tyres can make a difference too. I would think other than a tekno Mt410, a proline mt 4x4 will be one of the best handling trucks. If you really want something that handles well and doesn't flip over than a monster truck is not the right thing for you, a truggy would be much better. 

25 minutes ago, Jumper said:

Even a buggy flips over sometimes, it totally depends on the setup and how bad you driving is, also the tyres can make a difference too. I would think other than a tekno Mt410, a proline mt 4x4 will be one of the best handling trucks. If you really want something that handles well and doesn't flip over than a monster truck is not the right thing for you, a truggy would be much better. 

Yes. I agree. I have an Arrma Talion 1/8 truggy which I am looking to sell and replace as it costs a lot of money to run.

I think I would be best with another truggy so I will be looking at a Tekno ET48.3.

Just now, Leo Best said:

Yes. I agree. I have an Arrma Talion 1/8 truggy which I am looking to sell and replace as it costs a lot of money to run.

I think I would be best with another truggy so I will be looking at a Tekno ET48.3.

I wouldn’t go Tekno if an Arrma is costing you too much to run?

The high running cost of my Talion mostly stems from having to replace driveline parts quite regularly such as driveshafts, outdrives and diff input cups. They get notches cut into them and then bind up.

I was under the impression that this would happen as frequently with the Tekno because the parts are higher quality.

1 hour ago, Leo Best said:

The high running cost of my Talion mostly stems from having to replace driveline parts quite regularly such as driveshafts, outdrives and diff input cups. They get notches cut into them and then bind up.

I was under the impression that this would happen as frequently with the Tekno because the parts are higher quality.

But itll cost you double what a Talion costs? An ET48 is roughly the same price as a Talion and it doesnt even come with wheels and tyres! Let alone electrics?

How frequently are you replacing these parts? Doesn’t sound right to me?

Edited by Guns

1 hour ago, Leo Best said:

hmmm. those wear out on any car tbh, steel can only be so hard. are you just replacing the drive pin or the whole shaft every time? if you dont replace them often enough the cups wear out, but normally you can run 4 or 5 sets of drive pins before you need new cups. The gears should not wear out very quickly if they are shimmed correctly. You could also try some different brands of drive pins, i know Hudy drive pins are very soft, so dont get those if you want them to last. 

51 minutes ago, Guns said:

But itll cost you double what a Talion costs? An ET48 is roughly the same price as a Talion and it doesnt even come with wheels and tyres! Let alone electrics?

How frequently are you replacing these parts? Doesn’t sound right to me?

I already have a good power system and new tyres as well as 4 and 6S batteries. All of which are quite high end. Therefore the Tekno seems like it isn't so expensive.

40 minutes ago, Jumper said:

hmmm. those wear out on any car tbh, steel can only be so hard. are you just replacing the drive pin or the whole shaft every time? if you dont replace them often enough the cups wear out, but normally you can run 4 or 5 sets of drive pins before you need new cups. The gears should not wear out very quickly if they are shimmed correctly. You could also try some different brands of drive pins, i know Hudy drive pins are very soft, so dont get those if you want them to last. 

I have been replacing the whole driveshaft as well as outdrives about every 2 months. I do drive my car a lot though. Every weekend as long as the weather is good enough.

8 minutes ago, Leo Best said:

I have been replacing the whole driveshaft as well as outdrives about every 2 months. I do drive my car a lot though. Every weekend as long as the weather is good enough.

lol. If you find out what size the pins are i would recommend a pin removal tool. A guy on here makes them, so i you make a wanted thread, i'm sure he will see it and sort you one. I have one from him myself and i just buy the pins in packs of 10 for £5. Much cheaper than a set of £20 driveshafts :P I cant say how fast the tekno drive line wears yet as I haven't run mine much. I am sure their drive cups are probably 2x the price and maybe last 2x as long, so i could be worth it, but its best to ask someone who runs them often. 

Edited by Jumper

11 minutes ago, Jumper said:

lol. If you find out what size the pins are i would recommend a pin removal tool. A guy on here makes them, so i you make a wanted thread, i'm sure he will see it and sort you one. I have one from him myself and i just buy the pins in packs of 10 for £5. Much cheaper than a set of £20 driveshafts :P I cant say how fast the tekno drive line wears yet as I haven't run mine much. I am sure their drive cups are probably 2x the price and maybe last 2x as long, so i could be worth it, but its best to ask someone who runs them often. 

Someone on the Tekno forums mentioned about changing the pins instead of the whole driveshaft. That's definitely something I'm going to look into. I like the fact that the Tekno cars seem better built and have less slop in everything.

Edited by Leo Best

23 hours ago, Leo Best said:

I already have a good power system and new tyres as well as 4 and 6S batteries. All of which are quite high end. Therefore the Tekno seems like it isn't so expensive.

Arrma to Tekno is night and day fella the quality of Tekno kits is outstanding imo and far superior to a Arrma ??

• 2 months later...

Im looking at getting either a Team Magic E5 HX ARR or the Pro Line 4x4. Has anyone here made experiences with both trucks ? I'm interested in knowing which of the 2 models is tougher and which has the better parts support in Europe. RC Mart have the ProLine for just €250 - which is a bargain. Furthermore, whats the best combi to go for 550 or 1:8 ? 

Edited by Woolie1975

39 minutes ago, Woolie1975 said:

Im looking at getting either a Team Magic E5 HX ARR or the Pro Line 4x4. Has anyone here made experiences with both trucks ? I'm interested in knowing which of the 2 models is tougher and which has the better parts support in Europe. RC Mart have the ProLine for just €250 - which is a bargain. Furthermore, whats the best combi to go for 550 or 1:8 ? 

I would say the part support is better for the proline. I have a team magic e5 and its got to be one of the best rtr 1/10th trucks, but i think the chassis and flexibility of the pro mt4x4 makes it a bit better. you can put a 1/8th system in the pro line which is nice. I would probably go with a 4268 or 3670 on 3/4s. The team magic is topped out at 3660 sized motors, so it is really limited to 2-3s. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have a chassis arriving tomorrow, but looking around at parts availability in the UK kinda scares me.

Is this a vehicle that is always going to require importing the spares, and is still a pretty active platform in the US, or is it basically dead already?

...should I stock up on parts, or should I send it back under DSR and keep looking?

13 hours ago, Paul Busby said:

Hi Guys,

I have a chassis arriving tomorrow, but looking around at parts availability in the UK kinda scares me.

Is this a vehicle that is always going to require importing the spares, and is still a pretty active platform in the US, or is it basically dead already?

...should I stock up on parts, or should I send it back under DSR and keep looking?

from what I’ve seen of this  truck and parts support here in the uk I’d send it back and get something like the Arrma outcast 4s or if funds allow the new Traxxas maxx or the Tekno MT410. Never been a lover of this truck mind as I think it’s over rated and a tad poor for the money but there’s plenty that say they love it to then a few months down the line sell it on so make of that what you will 

• Thanks 1

I've still got mine, tough as old boots! There's very few spares (if any) in the UK but I haven't needed many to be fair. I believe the new kits are shipping with the upgraded servo saver - the original one was prone to failing every couple of packs. Eventually I just upgraded to the alloy version with no problems since. Another issue with the early kits is that the steering hub bushings would come loose, rub on the inside of the wheels and heat up causing the inserts to melt. I'm not sure if proline ever fixed this, but they recommend adding a bit of glue/threadlock to the bushings to stop them coming loose. I've done this and no problems since. I've bashed mine fairly hard and even run it on a 1/8 scale national track which is known to be a bit of a car breaker and it survived! It's a beast on 3S, handles very well particularly in the air and compared to the MT410 is good VFM IMO.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

from what I’ve seen of this  truck and parts support here in the uk I’d send it back and get something like the Arrma outcast 4s or if funds allow the new Traxxas maxx or the Tekno MT410. Never been a lover of this truck mind as I think it’s over rated and a tad poor for the money but there’s plenty that say they love it to then a few months down the line sell it on so make of that what you will 

Am I correct in thinking the Maxx has JUST been released, and is a scaled down version of the X-Maxx?

In a game of top trumps, they seem pretty similar, with the Maxx probably winning on parts availablity and overall cost. I wasn't planning on getting a RTR though, as I'm getting a real kick out of learning the hobby and getting stuck into the assembly.

At £550-600 for a fully ready to go truck, that seems pretty good value, but I wonder how it compares in durability to the PL MT 4x4?

15 minutes ago, James1986 said:

I've still got mine, tough as old boots! There's very few spares (if any) in the UK but I haven't needed many to be fair. I believe the new kits are shipping with the upgraded servo saver - the original one was prone to failing every couple of packs. Eventually I just upgraded to the alloy version with no problems since. Another issue with the early kits is that the steering hub bushings would come loose, rub on the inside of the wheels and heat up causing the inserts to melt. I'm not sure if proline ever fixed this, but they recommend adding a bit of glue/threadlock to the bushings to stop them coming loose. I've done this and no problems since. I've bashed mine fairly hard and even run it on a 1/8 scale national track which is known to be a bit of a car breaker and it survived! It's a beast on 3S, handles very well particularly in the air and compared to the MT410 is good VFM IMO.

If you don't mind me putting you on the spot, if you had a budget of £500-600 (for all the internals and radio too) right now and you were looking at something like this, is this still the truck you would buy?

All I have ordered so far is a servo and the chassis kit, I'm still undecided on the electrics, so I'm far from committed to it.

It seems rcMart have a decent set of spares and hop ups in stock, so if I stick with it, I may well go back through the thread reading everyone's comments and just grab the parts that others have struggled with (and whatever is shiny enough to put a smile on my face 😁)

Edited by Paul Busby

I’m gonna chime in here as I used to have a Pro MT 4x4. Bare in mind I’m pretty hard on my bashers but I personally found the durability to be lacking in a few areas (James has touched on a few) but my biggest complaint was the hinge pin holders. Although they are metal I used to bend them every 3/4 bashes and their not a cheap part to replace either at £18 a pop and more than likely you would take two out at the same time. If you bend the front one it can also cause damage to the steering rack. For me at least and my usage it spent more time waiting for parts than it did running which killed it off for me pretty quickly.

If I had you budget of £500/600 I would personally pick up one of the Arrma 3S/4S rigs. I’ve just got a Granite and my boy has a Big Rock and they are seriously fun rigs and tough as hell too! 

Plenty of options to make it your own as almost all the parts from the 3S and 4S cars are cross compatible.

I’ve put wider Typhon 3S arms and turnbuckles on both, Typhon 6S shocks, 17mm hex conversion, adjustable motor mount, upgraded bearings and a new servo on the way. Even with all these upgrades I reckon they have cost me £400 maximum and In my experience they are far tougher and handle as well if not better than the Pro MT. That’s my 2 pence 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul Busby said:

Am I correct in thinking the Maxx has JUST been released, and is a scaled down version of the X-Maxx?

In a game of top trumps, they seem pretty similar, with the Maxx probably winning on parts availablity and overall cost. I wasn't planning on getting a RTR though, as I'm getting a real kick out of learning the hobby and getting stuck into the assembly.

At £550-600 for a fully ready to go truck, that seems pretty good value, but I wonder how it compares in durability to the PL MT 4x4?

If you don't mind me putting you on the spot, if you had a budget of £500-600 (for all the internals and radio too) right now and you were looking at something like this, is this still the truck you would buy?

All I have ordered so far is a servo and the chassis kit, I'm still undecided on the electrics, so I'm far from committed to it.

It seems rcMart have a decent set of spares and hop ups in stock, so if I stick with it, I may well go back through the thread reading everyone's comments and just grab the parts that others have struggled with (and whatever is shiny enough to put a smile on my face 😁)

If you wanna build then the Tekno MT410 is the way to go imo 

Plus parts support here in the UK is very good indeed and even in the unlikely event there isn’t stock on the shelve these guys will get it in for you within a few days 👍

https://www.rprcdistribution.com/product-page/mt410-1-10th-electric-4-4-pro-monster-truck-kit

But be warned it’s not a cheap build ! 

Yes the Traxxas Maxx is a scaled down version of its big brother the X Maxx and isn’t yet available here but there due in the beginning of November 👍

I currently own the Arrma outcast 4s version which is a blast and I also owned the MT410 for a while I did have the Maxx on pre order but cancelled it to then re ore order it as I made a mistake over the light kits 🥴🤫

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. Feeling a bit dejected but I guess I will arrange to send the ProLine back and keep looking. I don't think the MT410 is for me, as great as it looks, at £400 starting point without wheels, electrics, shell or anything else... that will end up costing more like £700+

I don't want to derail this topic completely, so if anyone is feeling particularly helpful and generous, I'd love to here your feedback on my other thread:

Edited by Paul Busby

8 minutes ago, Paul Busby said:

Thanks guys. Feeling a bit dejected but I guess I will arrange to send the ProLine back and keep looking.

Thing is mate it all depends on how your gonna use it. If your not gonna be sending it off bmx track ramps and going for double backflips etc it won’t likely cause you too many issues. Just for me at least that’s kind of the point of a monster truck, bashing it and jumping it.

If your just going to run it on flat ground and a few small jumps it will be fine, but it won’t change the fact there’s better value options with much better parts support available in the UK. 

7 minutes ago, Bix said:

Thing is mate it all depends on how your gonna use it. If your not gonna be sending it off bmx track ramps and going for double backflips etc it won’t likely cause you too many issues. Just for me at least that’s kind of the point of a monster truck, bashing it and jumping it.

If your just going to run it on flat ground and a few small jumps it will be fine, but it won’t change the fact there’s better value options with much better parts support available in the UK. 

Honestly I'm buying something specifically so I can jump it and give it a beating. Living between the Dales and the Moors in yorkshire, I'm pretty sure I'll find some good spots.

It's literally just come through the door...

Edited by Paul Busby