• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hobao Hyper VS(e) Owners Thread

I'm not against buying one as they are a similar price (rtr) to the ST after conversion but not sure if it would be any better than the ST, you get a lot of bang for your buck with the pro but the kronos is such a good looking truggy. It's a shame timetunnel don't sell the corallys as i would buy one without the electrics, my max8 combo is only about 6 months old and i'd lose too much money on it if i had to sell it and can't justify having more than one car as i don't  get to use them enough.

Seen the Kronos at £315 roller with full upgrades, seems like a good buy. It's so bloody hard choosing 🤦‍♂️ I think if i can't get a cheap second hand ST i might just get that upgraded Kronos.

Looks like a bit of a bargain tbh, a few places selling it for about £315 https://alshobbies.co.uk/Team-Corally-KRONOS-XTR-6S-2021-18-Monster-Truck-Full-Option-Roller-C-00173?language=en&currency=GBP

Edited by Scottyb

The Kronos is a diferant driving machine from the ST as the Kronos loves wheelying

The ST does wheely now and again but not as much as the Kronos . The Shogun is more like the ST in way it drives and handles but is a little bit wider and a wee bit longer (same chassis etc as Kronos but diferant wheels )

However my fav out the 3 is still the ST lol ,I still like the other 2 as well but its just something about the ST i really like  :good:

• Like 1

I'll do some more research before committing anyway but i'll still probably end up with an ST after having the VS, just because of how much of a beast the VS is 🤣 it's like £800 durability at half the price lol

Edited by Scottyb
  • Like 3

On 20/09/2021 at 20:49, Scottyb said:

I've been looking at a kronos or dementor aswell but from watching videos and reviews they don't look like they could take as much abuse as a VS or ST, I've gave my VS a good thrashing at a bmx track a few times and only broke a front hinge pin and that's with close to kev talbot abuse. I watched a vid of a kronos a while ago but not sure who it was, either rckicks or aussie playground and he wrecked it on the first run, the chassis flex at the back put me off it.

you seen this?  normally i wheely the kronos on the spoiler but this is what happened when i broke a new spolier mount off and kept running it while waiting for my vse motor to cool down, pretty sure all i done was lost a screw on a shell mount and bent the back tower a tad which i have since reinforced after hammering straight lol

i got the deal for upgrades to v2 parts but im mostly running v1 parts apart from the v2 chassis braces and waiting till parts wear down or break then ill use the v2 parts and this vid is only on 4s 🙂

edit: for comparison heres a vid of dads hyper st on the same hobbywing max 8 2200kv system we used in our hyper 7 conversions and as you can see dad is scared  to whack the throttle 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon

Thanks for these, Looking at the Kronos vid i think i'll probably go with the ST, most the vids i watched of the Kronos it's either on 2 wheels or on it's back 90% of the time lol....it's probably fun but what's the point if you can't drive it (no reflection on you)

I was watching claires vids about it aswell, which is the one i'd get and there seem to be some pretty bad design flaws, albeit it's the more extreme side of bashing but it is advertised as an extreme basher!

Edited by Scottyb
  • Like 1

I'm not saying don't buy the Hobao, but I'd ignore anything Claire's RC says about Corally she was on a one woman mission to make them look ****ty right off the bat.

The pivot balls thing is a known issue admitted by Corally (a manufacturing issue with a batch of steering hubs) and they have redesigned it and the new version should be landing anytime now.

• Like 1

Nice one. The uprated steering blocks are 14-21 days away, just try not to get wound up when they pop out because you know there's a fix coming. Register your purchase on the Corally site and the replacement parts are free, you just have to pay postage (I think)

I know they've had a bit of bad press from certain channels but aside from the pivot ball issue the v2 Corallys are damn nice cars and sensibly priced. I absolutely love my Radix.

• Like 1

I dont think youl be disappointed with it mate :good:

That was some height she had it tumbling about from it seemed just let it tumble and see if it breaks and i dont think many cars would drive away unscathed by that :insane:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame Hobao don't get more love than they do, I mean my VS was a beast in the time i had it but i defo need something with a fair bit more ground clearance and speed than a buugy. You know the story with the Kronos, I'll get my money back in a few days for it. Now i'm stuck between a Hyper ST roller at £340ish, A Hyper MT plus II roller at £410 or a  Kraton EXB roller + RPM and ali upgrades at £500ish. I'd like to know what long term durability is like with the MT and maybe the ST. I won't be sending them as high as the video, probably half that, but it's nice to know you could without turning it into dust (like the Kronos😂)

I mean just look at this...out of the box with no upgrades, I'd have thought he would have broke more than he did, the landing was horrific.

Edited by Scottyb

1 minute ago, Scottyb said:

It's a shame Hobao don't get more love than they do

I know, I would have completely overlooked my VSe until recommended here on these forums. Such a well built RC car.

I agree with you though, lacking a bit in ground clearance but I cant find a decent alternative that I like the look of, all the Losi DB Pro/Lasernut/Rock Rey have quite severe transmission issues.

Considering Corally are fairly on the frontline of "big" brands and having there name out there, The Kronos is a fairly expensive piece of 💩 (even though i got it at a good price) It certainly looks the part with all the ali and carbon but the build quality was bloody terrible, 2 rounded diff screws out of the box and leaking rear shocks. I bought my VS for £130 second hand off here and sent that thing 20-30 foot in the air at a bmx track on numerous occasions and the only thing i ever broke was a lower hinge pin and the plastic bit that holds the shock to the tower. If you didn't see my other post I took the Kronos out on it's first run and it was destroyed in probably sub 30mins from a near flat landing off a 2 foot jump on grass. Not good enough.

I was looking at the losi's and there counterparts aswell and most of them look crap for the price they are. You would think these companies would do a bit of R&D to work out the weak points or stuff that can be improved before putting them to market instead of sending stuff out that will break out the box.

I know Hobao is probably dinosaur tech / engineering compared to todays standards but it's not like it doesn't work, from what i've seen from videos the ST Pro and VSe are absolute tanks for the money.

Edited by Scottyb

@StormbringerHave you got a pic of the Kronos next to the ST for a size comparison for me? I loved the size and chunkyness of the Kronos and the ST looks a fair bit smaller. I wonder if there would be any adverse effect of putting bigger wheels on the ST? Have you had any "manufacturing" problems with your ST? I put a post somewhere and someone said "have fun with the ST diffs" or something along those lines but didn't go into detail of why they were bad 🤷‍♂️