• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Recommend 1st car for my son

stujh85

At that price, I'd say try to find a 2nd hand 1/10 Tamiya buggy. Something the same size and overall look as your Cat. Maybe something from the DT or DF buggy ranges?

Which model Cat do you have? If it is the XLS, the Tamiya Sand Viper has a similar looking shell and can no doubt be painted to look similar to Dad's one.

If it is a Cat 2000, the Tamiya Rising Storm could be painted as a reasonable lookalike.

Edited by XV Pilot

I was trying to decide if that was a typo for rc car or if there's a fluffy rc feline available somewhere...???

Haha bloody predictive text. I haven't seen any rc cats but it would be fun to see a cat racing around the park

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The Schumacher Cat line of RC buggies has been around in some form or other for many years now. I thought that was what the OP was referring to, hence suggesting models that would resemble a Cat.

So, if not a Cat, what sort of RC do you have Mr OP? Obviously if your kid has taken a shine to it, he'd probably appreciate something that appears at least outwardly similar for himself.

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Like 1

The Schumacher Cat line of RC buggies has been around in some form or other for many years now. I thought that was what the IP was referring to, hence suggesting models that would resemble a Cat.

So, if not a Cat, what sort of RC do you have Mr OP? Obviously if your kid has taken a shine to it, he'd probably appreciate something that appears at least outwardly similar for himself.
I shouldn't do a post late in the day haha I've got the Maverick strada rx. He loves it but also said he wouldn't mind a truck /buggy

Has he had a go with yours, and if so, how skilled would you say he is? Are we looking for a model that merely has to survive numerous crashes, or is performance and even possibly future race potential something to consider?

Edited by XV Pilot

Has he had a go with yours, and if so, how skilled would you say he is? Are we looking for a model that merely has to survive numerous crashes, or is performance and even possibly future race potential something to consider?
Yeah he's tried mine but it's very quick. Something slower would be ideal and able to take lots of crashing. When he gets a bit more experience I'll look at a bigger car

11 hours ago, stujh85 said:

Hey everyone my 6yr old loves my rc cat and want 1 of his own any recommendations? I'm not looking to spend more than £80 he prefers buggy/truck

For what sort of use? Smaller scale RC’s are good for confined areas such as 1/18th or 1/16th scale. But won’t like running on grass much. 

Are you wanting a kit or an RTR?

Slightly over budget but a Tamiya Grasshopper or Madbull would be a pretty good entry RC and have scope to be be used further down the line too. I think some of the more toy grade RTR’s might only have a useful life of a few years as you often can’t easily improve them. 

I did stumble across this Kyosho NeXXT when looking about recently. Looks like it could be pretty good. Think you’ll need some bits to go with it. But you should be able to get close to your budget. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/kyosho-nexxt-assembly-kit-orange-/rc-car-products/370762

Edited by 300bhp/ton
  • Like 1

Kyosho axxe is a tough desert buggy style rtr.Tops out at about 20mph.  A bit over your budget, but it comes with everything you'll need in the box( except aas').Just charge & go. No " dad, is it ready yet?" Can go a lot faster when they're ready by adding a brushless combo & lipos'. 

• Like 1

The Nexxt is not a bad suggestion, but if you are considering a proper hobby-grade model, you might prefer the DT-03 Neo Fighter.

https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=40647&lang=eng

A proper kit build that can involve your kid from the get-go, increasing his investment in the hobby, and the likelihood that he'll take better care of the car. It will also make repairs easier if the car breaks at any point.

The DT-03 also has a far superior upgrade path, with a wealth of Tamiya and aftermarket hopup parts available. 

• Like 1

Having a owned a couple of DT03’s they are a great starter buggy and have shed loads of upgrade potential should your son want to go down that path eventually. One of mine took a thorough beating regularly and only broke when severely abused!

Parts availability is good and pretty cheap too. Although I’ve moved on to other cars I think building a kit as your first car is invaluable in the long run.

Im building a Tamiya with my son at the moment and it’s a really great way to spend some quality time together. Especially on these cold days :good:

• Like 2

Having a owned a couple of DT03’s they are a great starter buggy and have shed loads of upgrade potential should your son want to go down that path eventually. One of mine took a thorough beating regularly and only broke when severely abused!

Parts availability is good and pretty cheap too. Although I’ve moved on to other cars I think building a kit as your first car is invaluable in the long run.

Im building a Tamiya with my son at the moment and it’s a really great way to spend some quality time together. Especially on these cold days :good:
Thanks for this there's a lot to choose from. This is probably put of my budget for now but if he really likes rc I'll look at getting a kit model next year

Around this price point, one is faced with a dilemma. Good toy grade or basic hobby grade. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

A toy grade model comes with radio gear, etc, and is almost always RTR, which is itself a double edged sword. However they tend not to keep their value as well as hobby grade models so you don't get much for them if your kid doesn't take to the hobby and you want to try to sell it on, they aren't as much fun for Dad to play with if you want to keep it yourself, and of course the less capable the model, the less likely it will capture the interest of the kid in question.

A basic hobby grade model on the other hand might cost more due to needing radio gear, but with a bit of shopping around this need not be a big expense, especially if you go the used or Far Eastern route, and you presumably have a suitable charger already. It keeps more of its value, and is potentially worth keeping for Dad if your kid doesn't take to it. And of course the better quality and performance are more likely to lead to your kid developing a long term interest in the hobby.

Any chance you can stretch the budget a little for a DT-03?

Edited by XV Pilot

Around this price point, one is faced with a dilemma. Good toy grade or basic hobby grade. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

A toy grade model comes with radio gear, etc, and is almost always RTR, which is itself a double edged sword. However they tend not to keep their value as well as hobby grade models so you don't get much for them if your kid doesn't take to the hobby and you want to try to sell it on, they aren't as much fun for Dad to play with if you want to keep it yourself, and of course the less capable the model, the less likely it will capture the interest of the kid in question.

A basic hobby grade model on the other hand might cost more due to needing radio gear, but with a bit of shopping around this need not be a big expense, especially if you go the used or Far Eastern route, and you presumably have a suitable charger already. It keeps more of its value, and is potentially worth keeping for Dad if your kid doesn't take to it. And of course the better quality and performance are more likely to lead to your kid developing a long term interest in the hobby.

Any chance you can stretch the budget a little for a DT-03?

I see what you mean from both sides I've considered getting a kit car and I like the idea of it. But his birthday isn't far off and for now a rtr is something I can afford. I've not long got a car myself. If my son takes to rc then I'll look at doing a custom build with him. Thanks everyone for the advice it's much appreciated and given me plenty of good ideas