• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1:6 crawler Ford superduty build

Wow man first time i seen this. Such a cool build showing skills here man. I couldn't do that lol. Wouldnt know where to start even with scx10 in view lol. 

Edit  5 stars. 

Its 1/6th scale, what axles upgrade yeti xl? 

Edited by RCbutcher

1 hour ago, RCbutcher said:

Wow man first time i seen this. Such a cool build showing skills here man. I couldn't do that lol. Wouldnt know where to start even with scx10 in view lol. 

Edit  5 stars. 

Its 1/6th scale, what axles upgrade yeti xl? 

Cheers dude...I can feel my noggin swelling to biblical proportions:D

Axles are 'extra speed' branded, wraith width, they where on offer so I just bought...may replace down the line...

This was built for my kids so I'll just have to see if they're into it enough to warrant me digging deeper into my piggy bank

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, yoodoo said:

Is that a slipper I see?

J

Yeah dude....I had no idea it came with one...I'm a crawler noob:lol:

So I bought it blind.

It has a full set of CNC helical gears

zIK6emA.jpg

£38 odd delivered!

Ag1PWhP.jpg

Everything is alloy so it weighs a wee bit, it's all fitted now anyway!

I am waiting on one more steel shaft to arrive (although I may trial run it using the one that's currently fitted (old nitro shaft) in the next few days.

It will definitely still need tweaking after its trial run.....it's almost inevitable as having no in depth crawler driving experience I have no real world idea of what I'm aiming for.!

Can't wait to let the kids loose with it when it's finally ready, builds took around 8 weeks but a majority of those has been waiting on parts etc (especially the custom rails)

44 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Hope the driver's wearing wellies!!

With no firewall, and with the engine bat wide open to the cabin, he's going to get soaked every time he enters 'a deep spot'!

Looks good.

Al.

:040: Poor wonder woman, she did indeed get muddy feet.

My daughter was playing with the truck for around 45 minutes before I got the camera out, both Anna and wonder woman are receiving counselling for the trauma.....

I'll add the wheel wells etc ASAP which should sort it out, cab will be submerged at some point I'm sure, its by no means watertight!, but refrained from carpeting the interior floor for that very reason!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/02/2018 at 08:23, OllieNZ said:

That's turned out really nice, has a great turn of pace too.

Cheers dude, it kept me busy for a while.

Looks a bit more scale since the suspension has settled too, still a bit too 'hi lift' for my liking looks wise but without the lift it wouldn't be capable of running well.....it would just look nice!

Edited by Fly In My Soup

On 10/02/2018 at 10:26, yoodoo said:

Have you used the slipper on it yet FIMS?

J

I've not had to take my slipper off and beat it just yet, it's behaving itself....:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist..... The slipper is done up fairly tight, effectively ALMOST locking it, I did this whilst bench testing the chassis without the body.....but haven't needed to change it since.

I did find an issue with some loose grub screws on the Hercules driveshafts, so replaced them with bolts, now they're really solid so that's solved

There's a few things more I want to test with this crawler/ chassis....

• I'm interested to see what angle it can climb with the body on and off,

• want to see what weight it can pull in a log pull style test.

Anyone ever done one??

It's still running on an mtroniks 20a ESC and 600 motor (no flux rings on this can) and 2s lipo 

Well just did a quick pull test with the bare chassis ( no body ) and it pulled a 9.8kg (weighed it) rectangular tool box with fair ease

But I am aware that the kitchen floor and dry tyres means a lot of grip...

So I'm hoping for around the same result on dry ground with the body on for a bit more traction (weight)

Edited by Fly In My Soup

• 3 weeks later...

First time I’ve seen this, fantastic build mate :good:

Crawling isn’t my thing but always admired the scale looks and you have absolutely nailed it. For a scratch build and your first crawler I’m not sure you could have done any better to be honest!

On 04/03/2018 at 00:44, Bix said:

First time I’ve seen this, fantastic build mate :good:

Crawling isn’t my thing but always admired the scale looks and you have absolutely nailed it. For a scratch build and your first crawler I’m not sure you could have done any better to be honest!

Cheers dude!

I defo made a few rookie mistakes building this! Mistakes that, if I built another, I would do differently !

But yeah, for a first build of this type for me (And being a crawler newb) its turned out OK!

Kids enjoy mucking around with it so I'm happy!:good:

Edited by Fly In My Soup
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2018 at 22:49, Fly In My Soup said:

Kids barely touched it in a month of going out with them with it in the boot....... 

Hmmmm.......considering going swapsies for a gasser for the summer:naughty:

What's Battery life like  being so large ?

Reason being I've got a trx used 5 times and found myself using the ftx cheapo More maybe interested 

Weight isn't really too much of an issue, as the main chassis rails are T6 ALU so for its size, its not too heavy

it runs on 2s lipo so battery lasts around 25-30 minutes

I've been using a cheap floureon 2s 4000mah battery

Depends on your battery capacity is!!

You can also run this off a NiMH battery I suppose