• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Got my Carisma SCA-1E

peter2117

Carlo_IT First of all
ciao e benvenuto, spero che tu stia bene as hawkesy says the Coyote is an excellent truck right out of the box, I have the TRX as well but for sheer fun the Coyote is the one to choose, I stuck self adhesive wheel weights off Ebay to bottom of chassis, and put stuff in back and just have fun

Fred :wheelchair:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello going to cause ructions now ? I like my Coyote more than the TRX but don't tell anyone, perhaps it is hill lock, or that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to replace ?

:wheelchair:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mamodman said:

Hello going to cause ructions now ? I like my Coyote more than the TRX but don't tell anyone, perhaps it is hill lock, or that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to replace ?

Ooh, controversial fred!

I must admit, I was very impressed with the traxxas at the meet yesterday, I felt they made it look too easy though. With the modifications I’ve done to my coyote it’s a very capable bit of kit and I’m under the cost of a TRX4 too. 

The guys running them yesterday have fitted brass portal covers and steering knuckles to get the weight down low. 

Cant help but love the underdog though (coyote)

think I’ll be doing another custom shell for mine soon. 70F088C8-7252-48EC-835B-D7EE23FF1643.thumb.jpeg.35c02acb104027642529a7548a8ef354.jpeg56D61E84-8EDE-4402-8F0E-6EB156457549.thumb.jpeg.124d370d69515c2deac9986663161813.jpegA2C137FC-4F89-4541-92EF-4B7D68FB2121.thumb.jpeg.6a048f472b24f6ec029b96c9e1e501da.jpeg

3E838499-27A9-4306-BBCE-D967BE2668B2.thumb.jpeg.c6b236906a0e973c04821b9384d36819.jpeg

Edited by Wabom1981
  • Like 1

Interestingly, the brass portals and knuckles do absolutely nothing.

Kev Talbot did a test on his and compared straight climbing and side hilling, he added brass portals, knuckles and even including switching to some alloy beadlocks, it climbed and side hilled the exact same gradient before tipping lol, he changed the shell and it made quite a difference just from getting rid of the shell.

I think the portals and knuckles (and wheels for those who change them) is probably more a placebo effect thing, because others have reported testing (without video proof) saying wheels and weights don't counter the weight of the shell.

I guess people are thinking because they are adding weight down low it MUST be helping, but in reality, it doesn't seem to be the case.

Sat next to your Carisma and that SCX10II, I can't help but think they look a bit too big as well, but that's personal opinion I guess.

Don't shoot the messenger also lol, just adding in to the TRX4 vs Carisma theme.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oh How Original said:

nterestingly, the brass portals and knuckles do absolutely nothing.

Hello,Oh How Original you know I would tend to agree with you on that, but what body would you put on it? need one with minimum work ?

Fred

2 minutes ago, mamodman said:

Hello,Oh How Original you know I would tend to agree with you on that, but what body would you put on it? need one with minimum work ?

Fred

I don't think you have that many choices, because of the wheelbase, which could be altered I'm sure.

Personally I'd try removing some of the accessories from the body and lowering the body down a bit too.

If I had to have a TRX4, it'd likely have a 2000 Cherokee XJ from the SCX10II, I have fallen in love with that body for some reason, so that would be my own personal choice :) 

• Like 1

I agree dan @Oh How Original they are a massive unit, definitely wouldn’t fit on my model shelf. But I guess they need to justify the need to remortgage your home to purchase one? (Sorry @mamodman)

I can definitely see the appeal of them especially for those that want a quick entry into the hobby with a machine that does pretty well until pushed that bit harder. 

Just the price though.............

one of the guys that made it along to my meet up was the owner of greens models, he’s says he always recommends the sca-1e to people looking to get in on the crawling scene on a budget. 

i tried my coyote at G6 only thing i changed was servo lipo and wider weighted beadlocks and got on so well,  dont use hardy body on these i have tried and just stick with lexan bodies.

i have brass portal weights and metal non weighted wheels on the trx4, i would agree the body is just too heavy, i would also be interested in an alternative....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wabom1981 said:

But I guess they need to justify the need to remortgage your home to purchase one? (Sorry @mamodman)

Wabom1981 in my defence  it was a special present from the whole family, but they do look out of scale with every other truck, and DO NOT turn on a hill - it just rolls, ?? 

13 hours ago, Oh How Original said:

2000 Cherokee XJ from the SCX10II

Hello, just looked at that body - looks quite good if you can get it in UK - thanks for that

1 hour ago, Wabom1981 said:

I agree dan @Oh How Original they are a massive unit, definitely wouldn’t fit on my model shelf. But I guess they need to justify the need to remortgage your home to purchase one? (Sorry @mamodman)

I can definitely see the appeal of them especially for those that want a quick entry into the hobby with a machine that does pretty well until pushed that bit harder. 

Just the price though.............

one of the guys that made it along to my meet up was the owner of greens models, he’s says he always recommends the sca-1e to people looking to get in on the crawling scene on a budget. 

It does seem very good value for money to me too.

• 2 weeks later...

It's annoying me that my lynx version has a front bumper moulded into the shell as well as the seperate one. Can't decide if i should trim the one off of the shell. Could then tuck the proper bumper back a bit too.

What's the group opinion? I would trim along the green line.

15300915240258058124433592205175.jpg

1 hour ago, tolk83 said:

It's annoying me that my lynx version has a front bumper moulded into the shell as well as the seperate one. Can't decide if i should trim the one off of the shell. Could then tuck the proper bumper back a bit too.

What's the group opinion? I would trim along the green line.

15300915240258058124433592205175.jpg

Do you have any pics of the front end as it currently is?

36 minutes ago, hawkesy2k8 said:

yeah i think it chopped off would look better and the rear one ;)

and THE DARK KNIGHT, I can't say what I mean but somehow the front looks too fussy, needs something doing to it, it is as if the bumper has been added as a second thought, I just don't know - SORRY to be picky

I don't disagree. Might just wait for the pick up shell to come back into stock and do a custom one of those. Shame really as from certain angles i like the lynx shell, but from others (most) it looks naff. Might even chop it about a bit and try for a honcho type pick up.

On 17/06/2018 at 21:31, Wabom1981 said:

think I’ll be doing another custom shell for mine soon

If you do another body are you going to sell your present one ? I want first refusal please ?

Fred