• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

So my flaps arrived today after 3 weeks of waiting and i got them fitted, was quite happy with the end result but there was a large flaw, at full lock when going forwards they would end up on top of the tyre. So decided on a bit of chain for the fix, i have seen this on full size vehicles so why not

434FD08D-2B26-4651-8A4F-C32EC0CD4D88.jpeg

9712C6D9-67D9-4466-B6BB-3AB4AFCF4660.jpeg

4CC345C6-3651-4C36-B245-1B07ECAD5059.jpeg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

So my flaps arrived today after 3 weeks of waiting and i got them fitted, was quite happy with the end result but there was a large flaw, at full lock when going forwards they would end up on top of the tyre. So decided on a bit of chain for the fix, i have seen this on full size vehicles so why not

434FD08D-2B26-4651-8A4F-C32EC0CD4D88.jpeg

9712C6D9-67D9-4466-B6BB-3AB4AFCF4660.jpeg

4CC345C6-3651-4C36-B245-1B07ECAD5059.jpeg

I like them 👍

I ended up only using the rear ones on mine as the metal sliders wouldn’t work with the way the front flaps mount but I’m happy having just the rears 😁

• Like 1

Im interested to see  a pic of the brackets for the front flaps that you got as i have seen two different mounting styles the ones that i got that attach to the main chassis and 1 with a large flatish plate which I presume attaches to the floor of the chassis where the esc mounts

I also had to adjust the panhard rod as now since it was raised the body sat squint in relation to the wheels and steering in 1 direction was like steering the titanic.

It def needs more weight down low now as off road ability has been hampered but i have that in hand 🙂

Edited by wolfie1

57 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

Im interested to see  a pic of the brackets for the front flaps that you got as i have seen two different mounting styles the ones that i got that attach to the main chassis and 1 with a large flatish plate which I presume attaches to the floor of the chassis where the esc mounts

It’s the plate style one it attaches underneath the front of the rock sliders as I’ve changed the sliders to metal ones the a slightly different still where they screw on the floor pan I can get a pic of you want one? I’ll need to dig it out the parts box though 🤣

Got the locking diffs installed now but want the rear diff to lock first in stock setup it’s all open then front locked then all locked but want the rear all unlocked rear locked then all locked do I change the servo directions on the diff lockers as swapping the wires around dose nothing 

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

what if you swap the servo plugs arounf ie put front lock servo into rear lock port and rear into front 

Done that still the same don’t know how that works but no change 🤔

2 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

It’s the plate style one it attaches underneath the front of the rock sliders as I’ve changed the sliders to metal ones the a slightly different still where they screw on the floor pan I can get a pic of you want one? I’ll need to dig it out the parts box though 🤣

Yep i know the style you got

2 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

Got the locking diffs installed now but want the rear diff to lock first in stock setup it’s all open then front locked then all locked but want the rear all unlocked rear locked then all locked do I change the servo directions on the diff lockers as swapping the wires around dose nothing 

Why do you want to do that? The back will just push the front so you wont get a good steering lock even with just 1 diff locked, but if you did as said in the post above swap around the micro servo plug positions on the receiver, i am sure its the 2 plugs closest to where the telemetry plugs in  

10 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

Why do you want to do that? The back will just push the front so you wont get a good steering lock even with just 1 diff locked, but if you did as said in the post above swap around the micro servo plug positions on the receiver, i am sure its the 2 plugs closest to where the telemetry plugs in  

Just personal preference that’s all but did swap the 2 plugs around but didn’t work unless I put them back in the same way 🤣 I’ll try again and try reversing the servos if it doesn’t work 👍

5 hours ago, RC4WD fan said:

Just personal preference that’s all but did swap the 2 plugs around but didn’t work unless I put them back in the same way 🤣 I’ll try again and try reversing the servos if it doesn’t work 👍

Im going with plugging them back in the same place again 🤣

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

Im going with plugging them back in the same place again 🤣

🤣 but you’re wrong I swapped them 4 times making sure not to put them in the same place and still done the exact same thing have no idea how as it should change but it didn’t 🤔 I had to change the direction of the servos through the app it’s how I wanted it now so have put it away until the weekend because it all works 😂

• Like 1

I think this might be happening because of the orientation of the servos. So the rear diff needs its servo to be fully counter clockwise to be locked, where the front diff needs its servo to be fully clockwise to be locked (I may be mixing up locked/unlocked here). So,  when you switch the channels over you’re inverting the operation as well as changing the channels round. 

That sounds confusing trying to explain it without going into too much detail. Almost needs some sort of graphics to explain properly. This view might help though, when you consider the cable is being pulled/pushed in a different direction (clockwise/counterclockwise) for the front and rear servos. 

E7006914-F9B8-4EDB-8976-352E3DFE7252.thumb.jpeg.1161fd533cfd7619e932ae9f9b02b2c2.jpeg

• Like 3

18 hours ago, BigGinge said:

I think this might be happening because of the orientation of the servos. So the rear diff needs its servo to be fully counter clockwise to be locked, where the front diff needs its servo to be fully clockwise to be locked (I may be mixing up locked/unlocked here). So,  when you switch the channels over you’re inverting the operation as well as changing the channels round. 

That sounds confusing trying to explain it without going into too much detail. Almost needs some sort of graphics to explain properly. This view might help though, when you consider the cable is being pulled/pushed in a different direction (clockwise/counterclockwise) for the front and rear servos. 

E7006914-F9B8-4EDB-8976-352E3DFE7252.thumb.jpeg.1161fd533cfd7619e932ae9f9b02b2c2.jpeg

Honestly I don’t know how it works al I know is it’s the way I want now 👍 I’ve found a 2wd/4wd mod to do with the front drive shaft with the rear diff locked and in 2wd world make for some good donuts 😁

So some stuff arrived yesterday so i got them fitted, had to modify the prop shaft a bit as its just a grub screw onto a round shaft so would have ended up spinning, i did file a flat on to stop that, i also put a heap of thread locker in there too, but i dont like them (too cheap and rubbish and dont trust there longevity) so have ordered some others, also have these stunning side step things but again im not sure how they are going to perform as there is 2 square bits that stick out the bottom so may try cutting them flush but before that i will have to give them a try.

with the longer shocks axle articulation is awesome now though, there is more to go too!

I did try something with my doubts to it actually working noticeably, but has. So i filled the holes in my wheels with silicone to stop water getting in there and that was great there was actually air in the tyres now, but thought it needed a bit more pressure as they were too squishy in my eyes anyway, took the front off the wheels and put them in the freezer (remembering high school physics here) so the air was cold in them, took them out and quickly put them back together and when the air warmed up again the tyres were definitely less squishy and felt a bit fuller if that makes sense

EC8A05AD-DE78-48F6-ACB3-6621DC147A6B.jpeg

95774D6A-7DD3-4692-8F8C-91993F177C39.jpeg

7E1542B4-D6C2-4EED-847C-AF92D25A0BF2.jpeg

16038C8D-24BE-4A61-A341-2D5A63D0C03C.jpeg

Edited by wolfie1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

Certainly looks more articulation on it  :good:

Has the longer shocks improved the crawling at all ?

Yes and no, the ability to get over stuff is better, but now it def needs more weight down low to go straight up some steep slopes that it used to go up before without tumbling backwards, it doesnt ground out like it did before so that aspect of it is better, so im going to add some more weight and go from there, im also going to get some tall 2.2 wheels and tyres, no doubt there will be a trade of with them too

• Like 2

What’s people's opinion on putting 2.2 wheels and about 118mm 2.2 tyres if there are any that size? I was thinking about it but don’t know if it would look wrong to me it would look like a Chelsea tractor 🤔