• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas trx4 owners thread.

Gaz!

The way i personally do my wheels is simply this. Sorry for the stupid link.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chevy+k5+blazer&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjHib2M4qHqAhVF4hoKHYvSAO8Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=chevy+k5+&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQARgAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgIIADoECCMQJzoECAAQQzoHCAAQsQMQQzoGCAAQCBAeOgQIABAYUJHkAlj-_gJg94IDaARwAHgAgAFSiAGGB5IBAjEzmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWc&sclient=img&ei=sRz3XoftDcXEa4ulg_gO&bih=1297&biw=2560&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB902GB902

Look at the wheels, find the one that you think suits the truck best, and then hunt for the RC version of that wheel. 

The ones you linked (the "done-to-death" ones) are indeed common - but imho, they're also one of the best looking wheels for a K5 Blazer. Modern wheels are a no go imho. 

Thanks for the input. I've decided which wheels I want. Going with the chrome version to match the bumpers and details. Can always spray silver if the chrome is a bit much. 

I have a set of four white 'wagon' wheels I can try but pretty sold on these https://rcbitz.com/scale-crawler-accessories/accessories-detail-items/ssd-1-9-steel-slot-beadlock-wheels-chrome-ssd00276-traxxas-trx-4-trx4-scx10-ii/

I have some knock off Super Swampers to mount, they're around 118mm outside diameter which looks just about right but not a fan of the tread pattern. I think something around 110-115mm would look suitable without compromising on ability. 

2o-Kra-NV-2.jpg

• Like 2

Wanted to add a bit of weight up front on my sport. Was considering a steel front axle (which made a big difference to the lads defender) and also toyed with putting the esc on the front plate that came with the fender kit. 

Decided to break out the tools and came up with this in the end which fits nicely inside the proline fj40 I've just bought

_20200624_071610.JPG

_20200630_121710.JPG

• Like 3

It's 4 main parts - the radiator, block, filter and cover. I have been fortunate to use a couple of machines at work for the more complicated bits like the paper looking filter. It all holds together with one screw through from beneath the fender plate. All aluminium except the cover which is stainless steel.

Below is version 1 

_20200630_142055.JPG

• Like 2

Got my Bronco inner fenders today so I could mount the front suspension back on to the chassis. The 'sport' fenders are the narrow ones and the Bronco ones a bit wider. Not obvious from the pictures. Plus the Defender ones which mount inside the body. 

Horrible Fastrax wheel with 110mm Super Swamper copies, on the white wagon wheels are 120mm Hyrax copies and the purple Merc wheel is a 2.2" from the TRX6. 

My RCBitz order shipped today so hopefully get it tomorrow to mount some nicer beadlocks!

IMG-20200630-174406-2.jpg IMG-20200628-181055.jpg

Edited by Derka

New wheels and tyres! Got some centre hub caps on the way too. Tyres do rub a smidge but only at full articulation but generally ok, the tyres are super soft and sticky though. I think some smaller than 115mm will be my next choice but I can live with it. 

00100tr-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST202007011509

• Like 3

Looks good! 

I think the Bronco would have been my first choice if it wasnt for my love of D110's 😁

I think those wheels will look even better with the centre hubs on 👍🏻 

Looks mint as is though ✌🏻

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

here comes another happy & proud TRX-4 owner.

Had my G500 imported from Germany. 

Very interesting thread with lots of good advice for upgrades and modding.

I decided to get the black one, realizing that this is the only model with painted windows.

So I spent the last week painfully removing 3 layers (!) of paint with some graffiti remover.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. Got my first TRX-4 last week. The sport kit which I'm currently building. 

One thing I have noticed though is that the stock wheels seem very light so I'm thinking of doing something with those straight away. The two options I'm considering are either getting a set of Gmade beadlock steel wheels or going with the cheaper option of getting some wheel weights to add a bit of weight to the stock ones. Any guidance there guys? 

32 minutes ago, Rc211v said:

Hi guys. Got my first TRX-4 last week. The sport kit which I'm currently building. 

One thing I have noticed though is that the stock wheels seem very light so I'm thinking of doing something with those straight away. The two options I'm considering are either getting a set of Gmade beadlock steel wheels or going with the cheaper option of getting some wheel weights to add a bit of weight to the stock ones. Any guidance there guys? 

The stock wheels require you to glue the tyres to the rims, which can be a pain if you want to change the foams or tyres later. I would suggest getting beadlocks from the start. There are loads out there from very cheap to ridiculously lovely but hugely expensive. 

I have used the following ebay ones with great success - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-9-Metal-Beadlock-Wheel-Rim-for-1-10-RC-Traxxas-TRX4-D90-Axial-SCX10-SCX10-II/133278431779?hash=item1f08037a23:g:Ke8AAOSwm61eVjhc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSD-1-9-Steel-Slot-Beadlock-Wheels-SILVER-SSD00272-Traxxas-TRX-4-TRX4-SCX10-II/114246341595?hash=item1a999cd3db:g:OvwAAOSw6~pcRQXA  These come in pairs

Non-ebay

https://www.fastrax-rc.com/index.php?_route_=wheels-tyres/fastrax-1-9-heavyweight-split-6-spoke-alloy-beadlock-wheels-black

Edited by CarlC

2 hours ago, Rc211v said:

I used lightweight beadlocks on my TRX-4 G500 since they  are moving parts.

( Just like in real life alloy rims are preferred above steel rims )

For weight    I fixed portal weights. They don't move.

The portal weights came with disc brakes and calipers which made them not only look more scale but the discs prevent any grass and other stuff to wrap around the driveshafts inside the wheel.

You can find details in my thread about my G500 upgrade project.

( Don't comment on my taste for the rims please   😜)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...