• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Stampede XL5 4x4 brushless upgrade

MewettBoy72

Hi Everyone.

I'm new to this hobby and this forum.  I recently bought myself a Stampede XL5 4x4. I mainly bash and jump. I've had the truck for a few months now but I'm thirsty for some more power and speed.  I've been considering the Power Up scheme that Traxxas offer but was wondering if there are other ESC and Motor combos available for less money that offer me the power I require?  I'm looking to spend between £100 and £130.  Any advice and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, MewettBoy72 said:

Hi Guns. Cheers for reply.  Ive got the plastic centre shaft. I know the vxl version has the aluminium.

I will eventually want to run on 3s so I know driveshafts are a must. Do you think the stocks shafts will hold up with 2s?

Maybe fine with 2s, but i never knew the stock centre shaft was plastic. Thats poor from Traxxas!

The brushed version has a few lower grade components on the drive train so I'd look at upgrading that prior to going brushless. You can use the likes of Jennys RC or Dollarhobbyz to upgrade some components on the cheap but the driveshafts I'd go either MIP HD or the Tekno ones 

No point having all the power if the drivetrain can't handle it IMO 

I've half a memory that the brushed 4x4 has different diffs as well as the driveshaft so you might want to check that.

Either way, I would also recommend you get the bearing adaptor for the motor mount if you've got the plastic bushing. Known weak point even on the VXL, they go all melty :blink:

9 hours ago, Guns said:

Maybe fine with 2s, but i never knew the stock centre shaft was plastic. Thats poor from Traxxas!

I think so too. They only seem to use the aluminium shaft in the vxl models even though they say that the xl5 4x4 is brushless ready.  I'm not too bothered.  I love upgrading!

Edited by MewettBoy72

8 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

The brushed version has a few lower grade components on the drive train so I'd look at upgrading that prior to going brushless. You can use the likes of Jennys RC or Dollarhobbyz to upgrade some components on the cheap but the driveshafts I'd go either MIP HD or the Tekno ones 

No point having all the power if the drivetrain can't handle it IMO 

Definitely. I'll take a look at Jenny's and dollarhobbyz then. Cheers

Edited by MewettBoy72

7 hours ago, Geeze said:

I've half a memory that the brushed 4x4 has different diffs as well as the driveshaft so you might want to check that.

Either way, I would also recommend you get the bearing adaptor for the motor mount if you've got the plastic bushing. Known weak point even on the VXL, they go all melty :blink:

Thanks Geeze. I've actually done the bearing adapter already. I read so many posts about that being a must do upgrade for brushless. It's such a cheap upgrade too.

Edited by MewettBoy72

I'm going to go with that Hobbywing combo for sure. Under £100!! Haven't read a bad thing about it either. Awesome! What lipo batteries do you guys use or suggest and would work best with the combo?  I'm also looking for a good budget lipo and Nimh charger. What do you reckon?

Ive been running a stampede 4x4 with that ESC and a tenshock motor on 3s for a while. You will need the metal center shaft but im still on the stock slider plastic driveshafts and they are holding up well. I would put them at the bottom of your list of upgrades and just drive it for a bit first.

1 hour ago, Candyman said:

Ive been running a stampede 4x4 with that ESC and a tenshock motor on 3s for a while. You will need the metal center shaft but im still on the stock slider plastic driveshafts and they are holding up well. I would put them at the bottom of your list of upgrades and just drive it for a bit first.

Thanks Candyman. That's good to know. Especially as the pair will cost well over £100. It is something I will definitely want to do eventually tho.