• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Well I've decided on an HPI Trophy truggy flux. Opinions good and bad please?.

trxrincon

Hey, I'm keen on going 1/8 scale and thought about getting an Arrma kraton but with Arrma being all to hell at the minute people have put me off.  I like the look of the HPI Trophy truggy and I see it's been around for a few years so it's obviously tried and tested. If you run one or have ran one can I please get your opinions on them also mods that are worth while doing etc. Many thanks Rob 

My friend Ray has one, I've used it many times and they hold up to a good bashing, he hasn't done any mods whatsoever, he's probably put about 30-40 runs through it and nothing broken either.

Given the choice I'd opt for a Losi 8ight-Te personally, but that's because I like more adjustability and tuning options etc...

Very much personal choice and the Trophy truggy flux isn't a bad choice.

It's a relatively straightforward fix/mod, you need to buy the buggy hubs and whole cvd shafts, simply remove the grub screw holding each cvd together and fit the truggy inner shafts to the buggy stub axle, slide the stub into the bearings, pop the hub and pins on, tighten the grub screws in the end of the shafts and away you go!

I'll put in a vote against.  Only 1st hand experience was a track day with one, and the thing stripped the front knuckles for fun.  At first we thought it was an overzealous owner overtightening them.... nope.

Not the first time i've heard this issue, and whilst no RC is perfect Trophy upgrade parts are pricey.  Having a few friends with them, my vote goes for the Hyper VSe at this end of the market.

I've got 2 of them and I'd vote against as well.

Stock combo not great, Knuckles are bad. Shock shafts too thin, snaps axles easily.

If you don't do the wheels up tight and use plenty of threadlock it seems to solve the axle/wheel issue.

I've a couple of mods on mine as well now.

I've recently fitted some 11&12mm bolts to the knuckles to see if it helps but haven't had them out since September :huh:

Also to bear in mind tho.... There's well over 1000 spare parts listings for the Trophy on ebay :thumbsup: That's one reason I went for one myself :)

First upgrade you want is a set of 101142 hard gears in all 3 diffs.

All 3 sets of mine have lasted well over 1 year with 10f,30c,7r oil filled.

Edited by dazp1976

I would vote against aswel, a guy i know had one and it could'nt take a bashing.....broke all the time, and there may be lots of parts/upgrades available but you will definetly need them thats for sure.

I personaly would vote for the Arrma Talion but they are having some problems as we all know....Go for the Hyper sst its just had a revamp and although may not be as tough as the Talion but will outlast the Trophy all day long.

It's surprising how bad people think these are, when Rays has been absolutely sweet for well over 3 years and it's taken some serious beatings, he can afford whatever he wants, so he doesn't mind putting a good pounding on his RCs.

Personally I wouldn't buy one for myself, just because the Losi 8ight-Te is better, but if you really like them, go for it :D 

2 hours ago, evssv said:

Mt4g3. .:yes:no upgrades  needed out he box other then a chassis  brace :good:.....and I've had 5x of them :yes:

Isn't there something to do with the suspension block bushings or something for the pins on those?

Seem to recall Doddy couldn't find any in the world a while back.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, trxrincon said:

I got one bought, not actually ran it yet but have some some small upgrades including bearings in the steering instead of the nasty bushes, I've got the 17mm wheel kit to go on to it and I've put a savox servo into it too. 

Cool. When the spider gears go don't forget to replace them for 101142 hard ones. The rear usually go first.

Mines been sweet for ages now.

I did replace the knuckle bolts for longer ones not long ago (used the dremel to cut some to 11mm opposed to the stock 10) 12mm caught the cvd cup slightly.

• Like 1